Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
Was any stitch welding or other chassis reinforcement done? With all the material that was removed, do you think that chassis rigidity was reduced at all?
I think this is a great question. With 80# that need to be added back, this is where I would be adding the weight.

I know that in most cars nowadays, the doors actually increase rigidity with their structural supports. Since the doors on this car are simply skins now I bet some cross bracing would be pretty useful!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Balrok
^Indeed. Alright sorry for so many q's but i'm going through the same thing atm, but for road racing so don't worry about compt. As far as the windows are concerned, did you do lexan all around including the back window? I've heard mixed feelings on Lexan that it's so easy to f* up from rocks and scrapings from *normal* use at a track. And i've also heard that there is some special or different plastic other then lexan that weighs as much but is more resistant?
I used Lexan in the side windows and have the material for front & rear. For the reasons you mention, I've decided to leave the front glass as-is and perhaps only change the rear to Lexan. Since I don't have a roll cage, I also have concerns about loss of structural regidity if I remove the windshield and perhaps rear glass.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Was any stitch welding or other chassis reinforcement done? With all the material that was removed, do you think that chassis rigidity was reduced at all?
Originally Posted by goofygrin
I think this is a great question. With 80# that need to be added back, this is where I would be adding the weight.
I know that in most cars nowadays, the doors actually increase rigidity with their structural supports. Since the doors on this car are simply skins now I bet some cross bracing would be pretty useful!
Seam-welding is on the list for Winter 2008 off-season work. A major Evo race car fabrication shop told me that in seam-welding an Evo chassis, it only used about 3.5lbs of wire. Personally, I don't believe the doors contribute much to Evo structural rigidity, though I do agree that many standard car doors can add quite a bit to overall stiffness because there are large amounts of unibody flex.

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Here you can see the steering wheel and the original gauge cluster with a column mounted boost gauge. I wonder if the fuel gauge works.
Steering wheel & tilt shaft will be replaced in the off-season with quick release wheel and lighter straight column. Fuel gauge isn't connected, so I have a constant fuel warning light reminding me to check the level. It's probably not a bad idea to always think about it when you only have 4 gallons.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark and Sebastian should be out there running tomorrow, right? For anyone who wants to see it in action first-hand.

Texas Motor Speedway Bus Parking Lot in Fort Worth, Texas
MAP with exact coordinates. Click for map --> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.027627,-97.28548
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Mark and Sebastian should be out there running tomorrow, right? For anyone who wants to see it in action first-hand.

Texas Motor Speedway Bus Parking Lot in Fort Worth, Texas
MAP with exact coordinates. Click for map --> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.027627,-97.28548
I wish I could go. The last time I went out to Dallas area to autocross I got a ride with Mark. However, he kept blowing off interooler pipe couplers. I''m sure he remembers that day very well. It was a big pain in the a** for him.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

16X10 custom wheels with slicks. Amazing setup.

Old Sep 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

How does the beast handle on 16" slicks compared to the R-comp?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madmax199
How does the beast handle on 16" slicks compared to the R-comp?
Well....I only made two runs on the tires to save them for Nationals. I was changing from 2 year-old 710's, so they felt great comparatively. I think that I will need to learn over the next year, just how much more I can push the slicks, and make minor suspension adjustments to capitalize on the grip.

I can say that two weeks ago on the old 710s, same course layout, same surface, I finished 0.8 sec behind Stuart Maxcy's Viper SS winning time. Last weekend I was 1.1 sec ahead of Stuart's SS winning time with the new tires. It could just be the difference between old and new tires. I really don't know. At 2400 lbs, I can say the car is crazy quick.

Mark
Old Sep 4, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
which kw,s are you runing??
Old Sep 5, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo420
which kw,s are you runing??
I originally had some custom-valved KW Competition 2-ways, which were great. KW allowed me to test a set of revalved KW Clubsports (2-way) that I currently use, which are also excellent. I believe the Clubsports have a high-end valving technology that has proven faster in KW tests on the Nurburgring, than the V3s. Of course, I'm not traveling at Nurburgring speeds, so I think any of the KWs are a great coilover system at an unbeatable price for this quality. Price will determine whether you go with the V3, Clubsport, or Competition. Just have them setup to match the spring rate you choose. The stainless housings are nice because there's never any corrosion to deal with.

Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Sep 5, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Great car! You make us Evo guys PROUD! Keep up the great work! You and your Dad are an amazing team! Role models! I plan on doing the same thing with my daughter and my Evo 9MR! Your car is done right/professionally! It is nice of you to allow people to take photos/videos of your car so other Evo owners can learn! Many thanks for everything! I wish you 'three' a very fast and safe racing season next year! I am 'glued' to this thread! Thanks again!! -Howard
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
I plan on doing the same thing with my daughter and my Evo 9MR!
Just remember the Evo 9 is not classed in F-Prepared yet, only the Evo 8 is.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by vinax
Just remember the Evo 9 is not classed in F-Prepared yet, only the Evo 8 is.
sounds like a letter to the SEB is in order!! a little more than semantics, though, really.. unless you plan on having that MR stripped and ready to go by next weekend and hand everybody their ***
Old Sep 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't it be legal for XP?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by madmax199
Shouldn't it be legal for XP?
Legal - Yes
Ticket to win - maybe not.

FP on the hand this car should have a great chance.

Quick Reply: F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII