Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

8/24/03 Austin AutoX - 3rd place

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2003, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8/24/03 Austin AutoX - 3rd place

I took a little flak for doing well in novice class my last few times, so I made the jump over to our street tire class for today's AutoX. I managed to salvage a 3rd place on my last run of the day, my only clean run. Not bad considering my last two event times would've also placed me 3rd place in the street tire class. Now I have some definite motivation to do better.

The "old guys" were grumbling about a bad course, though I think they always do that. But if you look at the large amount of DNFs it does appear that something isn't right. I feel bad for the novices today.

I didn't feel "on" today either. I don't know if it was the course, the tires (Kumho MX), both, or neither. However I did manage to make a decent final run. My PAX time was 43/115, and my raw time was 37/115, both not bad either, especially for this being my 6th AutoX.

If I would've run in AS I would've taken 2nd place. I'm not sure if the vette that won AS was running race rubber or not, he's not a regular at our events and came in from Dallas I think. The STi that took 2nd in AS was running V700's that were pretty shot. Both drivers (as36 and xas36) managed only low 53 second runs on them, while I pulled out a high 52 with my MX's.

I also would've won ESP by over 2 seconds, and managed to beat an AS cobra in street tire by 1/10th. The other STi (sm9) at the event had a pretty good time, but I think he's also on race tires. Other than that his car is stock, and he's running SM just for year-end points.

So overall not a bad day for myself and the Evo, even after jumping to a more competitive class. At least I didn't DNF.

Texas Spokes
Results
PAX
Raw
Old Aug 25, 2003, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Good showing.

Do you have any interest in running R compound tires? They do make a dramatic difference... The first time I ran mine, I felt like a blind man who could see for the first time.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 8/24/03 Austin AutoX - 3rd place

Originally posted by iodine23
I took a little flak for doing well in novice class...
Nice job.

In stock class I thought you can use any tire you want, including R compound tires, as long as it is the same size as your OEM tire on the same rims.

Anyone who is more familar with Autox please feel free to respond.

Thanks

Flybyevo...
Old Aug 25, 2003, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

In Stock class, the wheels must be OEM size (offset within 1/4 inch of OEM offset) -- the tires can be anything that fits. I have 245/40R17 R compound tires compared to the 235/45R17 OEM tires.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Actually I think stock class can use any DOT approved tire, no competition slicks, right?

I am interested in running race rubber, I just don't have the budget for it yet. I'll probably take the plunge for next season, running the whole thing in AS and buying RPF1s and some Kumho's. I just found a little info on their new 710's, I'm definitely intrigued. I need more information.