Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Please help me figure out my TT class...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help me figure out my TT class...

I'm getting ready to run TT with NASA. I've read all rules and regulations over 2 times now (I read a lot about the stuff I'm getting into)

I want to figure out where the car stands as of right now, and where I want to be.

Here are some details on it, let me know if you need more specific info.

2003 evo8 GSR
competition weight - 3204 lbs
power - 350whp (dynojet)
wheels + tires - 17x9.5 with Toyo RA1 255/40/17
KW suspension, the spring rate not sure (Robis usual)
Voltex wing, Buschur front CF lip, evo 9 JDM bumper (I believe it falls into stock category, just like vortex generator)
Carbotech XP10 brakes, PF 2 piece floating rotors (front)

Hp/weight ratio (from what I figured comes out to be 8.34 - which is TTS)

Here is how I got it

3204/350 = 9.15
AWD -.5
Toyos -.75 (Are they non-DOT approved, or only slicks are non-DOT?
size 255 +.4

If you could help me out on this, I would really appreciate it

Last edited by Evo8; Aug 22, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Here are pictures of my evo

Old Aug 22, 2008, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Here is what you have listed. Ill follow each one with some questions, because it appears you have left out a great deal of mods:

1. 2003 evo8 GSR:
I havent looked at the recent car classification sheet lately. Unless NASA has classed it separately, it might be classed with the 04-05 Evo 8, which would place it as TTC +14.

2. competition weight - 3204 lbs:
Is that with you in the car? Again, unless NASA has classed the 03 Evo8 GSR separately, it would be classed like the 04-05 Evo 8, where its base weight would be listed as 3263 lbs. If the 3204 lbs is with you in the car, that means you are 59 lbs lower than your base weight. For that you would take +4.

3. power - 350whp (dynojet):
How did you get 350whp on a dynojet? Are you running the OEM turbo that car was produced with, or a different turbo? Beyond that im guessing you got your ECU flashed? What about cams, mbc, fuel pump, headers, anything ported, etc, etc? What about your exhaust? Aftermarket downpipe? Test pipe or high-flow cat? Cat-back? Basically, what are all your power mods?

4. wheels + tires - 17x9.5 with Toyo RA1 255/40/17:
All that matters here are your tires. If your base class is TTC +14, than the 255 RA1s are +5.

5. KW suspension, the spring rate not sure (Robis usual):
Which KWs exactly? How much do they retail for? Not how much you bought them. And iirc Robi likes to incorporate bump steer kits. Do you have a bump steer kit? What about a RSB, or FSB? What are all your suspension mods?

6. Voltex wing, Buschur front CF lip, evo 9 JDM bumper (I believe it falls into stock category, just like vortex generator):
First of all, anything that is an option on the car from the factory, you take points for it. If the base model doesnt come with it, its an addition, so you take points for it. For instance, if you have any MR additions on your car you take points for all of them. Im not too familiar with the aero mods because i dont have any. Either way:

Your Voltex wing would either be a +2, or a +4.
Buschur front CF lip depending on its specs is anywhere from a +1, up to a +4.
JDM bumper i believe is a +2.
Vortex generator is a +1
If you have any other MR additions they would be assessed points also.

7. Carbotech XP10 brakes, PF 2 piece floating rotors (front):
Brake pads and rotors are part of the "no-points mods" list.

Overall, its impossible to tell what class your car belongs in unless you list everything. And it appears you have left out a great deal. As far as the alternative weight method, you did it wrong. If that 3204 lbs includes you in the car with your gear on and what not, then it will look something like this:

3204 / 350 = 9.15

+.4 = 4-door sedan
-.5 = AWD
+.4 = 255 sized tires
+.3 = Total modification factor

9.15 + .3 = 9.45
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Here is what you have listed. Ill follow each one with some questions, because it appears you have left out a great deal of mods:

1. 2003 evo8 GSR:
I havent looked at the recent car classification sheet lately. Unless NASA has classed it separately, it might be classed with the 04-05 Evo 8, which would place it as TTC +14.

you're right, it does start off in TTC with 14 points

2. competition weight - 3204 lbs:
Is that with you in the car? Again, unless NASA has classed the 03 Evo8 GSR separately, it would be classed like the 04-05 Evo 8, where its base weight would be listed as 3263 lbs. If the 3204 lbs is with you in the car, that means you are 59 lbs lower than your base weight. For that you would take +4.
the weight is with me in the car, and you have the correct weight for the base model

3. power - 350whp (dynojet):
How did you get 350whp on a dynojet? Are you running the OEM turbo that car was produced with, or a different turbo? Beyond that im guessing you got your ECU flashed? What about cams, mbc, fuel pump, headers, anything ported, etc, etc? What about your exhaust? Aftermarket downpipe? Test pipe or high-flow cat? Cat-back? Basically, what are all your power mods?
I'm running evo IX turbo, yes the car was also tuned, aftermarket FMIC, Manual boost controller, 272s cams, warlboro paump, forge DV, injen intake, ebay o2, slick motorsports downpipe and cat-delete, hks catback, slick motorsports unpper+lower IC pipes, AMS fuel rail,
4. wheels + tires - 17x9.5 with Toyo RA1 255/40/17:
All that matters here are your tires. If your base class is TTC +14, than the 255 RA1s are +5.

5. KW suspension, the spring rate not sure (Robis usual):
Which KWs exactly? How much do they retail for? Not how much you bought them. And iirc Robi likes to incorporate bump steer kits. Do you have a bump steer kit? What about a RSB, or FSB? What are all your suspension mods?
they retail for $2K, they're street version, I do have bumper steer kit and robis rear sway bar, that's it as far as suspension goes. running -2.7 camber up front, -1.8 rear, 0 toe all around

6. Voltex wing, Buschur front CF lip, evo 9 JDM bumper (I believe it falls into stock category, just like vortex generator):
First of all, anything that is an option on the car from the factory, you take points for it. If the base model doesnt come with it, its an addition, so you take points for it. For instance, if you have any MR additions on your car you take points for all of them. Im not too familiar with the aero mods because i dont have any. Either way:

Your Voltex wing would either be a +2, or a +4.
Buschur front CF lip depending on its specs is anywhere from a +1, up to a +4.
JDM bumper i believe is a +2.
Vortex generator is a +1
If you have any other MR additions they would be assessed points also.
See this is something I don't get, all evos (except IX MR) start off in TTC +14 points. From what you're saying I have to bump to a different class because I have IX turbo? But really even though I have IX turbo, my car is slower than IX simply because I don't have MIVEC. Same goes for VG, 05 MR is in the same place with same points but came with VG from the factory. Again same deal with JDM IX, I thought it says 2 markets can work together, OEM and JDM (I might be wrong)

7. Carbotech XP10 brakes, PF 2 piece floating rotors (front):
Brake pads and rotors are part of the "no-points mods" list.

Overall, its impossible to tell what class your car belongs in unless you list everything. And it appears you have left out a great deal. As far as the alternative weight method, you did it wrong. If that 3204 lbs includes you in the car with your gear on and what not, then it will look something like this:

3204 / 350 = 9.15

+.4 = 4-door sedan
-.5 = AWD
+.4 = 255 sized tires
So toyos are DOT approved, good.
+.3 = Total modification factor

9.15 + .3 = 9.45

Sorry about this n00bness, just NASA made it somewhat confusing, I'm still somewhat confused. The examples they gave you were :

2005 Sti, OEM tranny, on DOT approved 305 size tires, weight 3201, power 550 whp:
3201/550=5.82, plus .4(sedan)=6.22, minus .5 AWD= 5.72 (TTU)
this is from NASA's rules

This confuses me, they didn't go by the base weight, aero mods, etc. Just in general, why not specific?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

alright, enevrmind the question about turbo, VG etc. I see that ev8 is the only 1 to be in TTC, IX adn VIII MR are TTB

Also I see that toyos are +5
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

There are two (2) different classification forms, one for TT-A/B/C/D/E/F and one for TT-S/U/R. The TT-A/B etc is the one where you take points for each mod and use the base weight as a benchmark to determine your TT class. TT-S/U/R is based on HP/Wgt ratio, tire and the 4-Door/AWD/etc +/- stuff to determine your class.

By the looks of your mods, I'd say you'd be pointed out of TT-A and most likely be in TT-S. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya with out getting into too much detail. Enjoy NASA!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're either TTS or TTA, but you need to add up the points to figure it out. TTC +14 to start, then add all the points for all your mods. If you end up in TTA, then stay there. If it moves you beyond TTA, then you no longer worry about points and only worry about staying below the TTS cutoff of 8.8:1 (or 8.7:1, I always forget). Don't forget to factor in the penalties like you were already, but you forgot the weight penalty. If your true race weight (lowest fuel level possible when coming off track with driver) is 3204, then there is a penalty for being under 3300.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, it really clears up a lot. I'm trying to stay out of TTS. I'm pretty good driver and run good lap times, but I don't think it will be competitive for me in TTS, some of those lap times are amazing. I'm an instructor with NASA and know all codes and regulations more than enough, but TT is something out of my reach yet. I will be running TT starting 09 and just want to prepare for it, plan my build
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

nice info. (subscribed )
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm afraid TTS may be a more competitive class than TTA. Look at last year's results...or rather, I guess check out this year's results when they occur.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm afraid TTS may be a more competitive class than TTA. Look at last year's results...or rather, I guess check out this year's results when they occur.
The class entry numbers are higher in TTS, but I think an EVO is better classed in TTS or TTU. The way TTA is structured, an EVO will have a hard time competing well against the C5Z.

EVO8, I met you this past weekend at Mid Ohio. I'm not sure if you got to peak at Jesse's laptimes but they were in the 1:34 range. He is currently running faster than the majority of the TTS class. He will likely be in the 1:33-1:34 range for Nationals. Perfectly modded, a TTA EVO will probably be in the 1:35 range, maybe 1:34.

Just for reference, I ran with passengers this past weekend and my competition weight is normally about 250lbs over...3500lbs with driver plus carrying passengers weighing between 110 and 240. I was running on RA-1s with basically 400-500lbs of extra weight. The best I managed was a low 1:38. Losing the weight, my car could get down to 1:35, but i think it would have a hard time hitting 1:33.

______
Jason

Last edited by Barfly30; Aug 22, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

All that being said, I did have fun this past weekend and will be considering running again in TT next year. The group is clean and the cars are overall faster (more competition for my car) than they were in SoCal. The problem is the scheduling between other events, work, and trying to do TT with NASA. I am curious what a diet could do to my car and depending on how Greg writes the rules next year, who knows maybe I could sneak slicks on my car and stay in TTA. I have toyed with the idea of buying a new track car and selling the EVO just to experiment with something else. Not sure yet. My wife already wants to kill me.

_______
Jason
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Just by glancing over your response, i am pretty sure your car falls into TTS. Now, ill add it all up to see for sure.

3. Power mods: I'm running evo IX turbo, yes the car was also tuned, aftermarket FMIC, Manual boost controller, 272s cams, warlboro paump, forge DV, injen intake, ebay o2, slick motorsports downpipe and cat-delete, hks catback, slick motorsports unpper+lower IC pipes, AMS fuel rail,
With the upgraded turbo your car no longer will be classed as a 2003 evo8 GSR. Since youre running an Evo9 turbo, you will most probably be classed now as an Evo9. Then, the rest of your power mods will be added up accordingly:

+10 - ECU flash
+4 - FMIC
+4 - MBC
+6 - CAMS
+2 - Fuel pump, fuel rail
+1 - Intake, IC pipes
+3 - TBE

4. Tires:

+4 - 255 RA1s (Since you will most probably have your base class re-classed as TTB, due to your Evo9 turbo, the 255 RA1s give you 1 point back since the base tire size for TTB is 265).

5. Suspension: they retail for $2K, they're street version, I do have bumper steer kit and robis rear sway bar, that's it as far as suspension goes.

+5 - I think those KWs fall into this category
+2 - Bump steer kits
+2 - RSB

With all those mods youre already at +43, which puts you into TTS. If i add up the minimum assessed aero mods, youre at around +49, which puts you 10 points over TTA.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8
Sorry about this n00bness, just NASA made it somewhat confusing, I'm still somewhat confused. The examples they gave you were :

2005 Sti, OEM tranny, on DOT approved 305 size tires, weight 3201, power 550 whp:
3201/550=5.82, plus .4(sedan)=6.22, minus .5 AWD= 5.72 (TTU)
this is from NASA's rules

This confuses me, they didn't go by the base weight, aero mods, etc. Just in general, why not specific?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it
I was very busy and missed this part of your question. Ryan pretty much covered it though. The reason why you didnt see anything about aero mods, and all the other points that different mods are assessed in those examples is because that method is utilized to determine the classing for TTS, TTU, TTR. If you look at the rules, youll see that there are 2 ways to be classed, (1) is for TTA-F, and (2) is for TTS/U/R. If you want to run in TTS/U/R, you use that equation to figure out which class you fall into. Why? Because those 3 classes are sort of our unlimited groups, but each has a certain limit. So you can pretty much run anything you want in those 3 classes as long as you dont exceed their weight/power limit. And that looks like this:

TTS = 8.70:1
TTU = 5.50:1

Now, youre probably wondering what the difference is between TTS and TTA, when TTA is also limited to the same limit, being 8.70:1. Basically, TTS opens the door to whatever weight, power, aero, suspension, and tire route you want to go, as long as your car does not exceed that 8.70 limit given their equation.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Be sure to check the rules, because even in TTS your permitted weight/power ratio is subject to adjustment depending on your weight, tire size, how many doors you have, whether you are AWD, etc.

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out my TT class...