Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo racing at NASA Nationals at Mid Ohio

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo racing at NASA Nationals at Mid Ohio

My #101 Evolution 8 will be racing in the Super Touring 2 class this September 11- 14 at Mid Ohio. Approx. 3100lbs with just under 380whp. on Hoosier 275/45/17 R-6's. So far I'm the only AWD car in class. The competition includes MAZDA's , Corvettes and Viper. MazdaSpeed has announced a cash award program that would net $4500 for a Mazda that wins in Super Touring. Hoosier Racing Tires awards 2 tires for 1st place and Moton Suspensions awards $500 for a win also. I run Moton Club Sports and have allready won a set of Hoosiers this season. I just wish Mitsubishi would support motorsports and match Mazda's offer. If these Mazda drivers coming from the west coast are fast they could earn some good traveling money!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be there, but competing in TT-A #311. Good luck to you and I'll make sure to watch you!

Ryan
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Damn Mazda, they are doing similar thing with Redline Time Attack. Good luck there man
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

This will be my first year competing at Nationals. Like Ryan, i will also be competing in TTA. Im driving a silver Evo9 with #415 representing Socal. Its supposed to be a 2,300+ mile drive for me from Socal to Mid-O. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and the whole Nationals experience. Ryan will be parked next to me with the Cali guys, so stop and say hi if you see us.

Btw, i have a friend from Socal, Scott Howard, who is running his Mazda RX7 in TTS and ST2. Its also his first time at Nationals, and he just recently started ST2, but he has been doing very well in TTS here in Socal. It will be interesting to see how he does in ST2.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Ed, are you coming to the SCCA test day next Friday? There is a SRF available for rent that day if you are interested.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go get them and represent us well. But, don't do too good, I don't want to be continually hosed (MHO) with some of the double-points rules we currently have!

Mazda does continually 'step-up'. Makes me really debate my next track car purchase...
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Barfly30
Ed, are you coming to the SCCA test day next Friday? There is a SRF available for rent that day if you are interested.
Thanks for the info, but i cant afford it at this rate. But, there is a slim chance that i might be in town by Friday, September 5th. Either way ill call you and keep you posted.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be camping there for the weekend. Good luck to the racers and hopefully I'll spot you in the pits.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

I run the northeast region where my competition are two Sti's and a MR in ST-2. Our cars are very close and we have all won races. Unfortunately I am the only one of the 4 that is going to be at the national event. I drove an old BMW at Mid Ohio around 20 years ago with a BMW club driver school. I should be up to speed and ready after the Thursday practice sessions. I hope the stock gas tank will hold enough fuel for the 45 minute championship race on Sunday. I lost a race this year at Pocono from underestimating how much fuel I would consumed on the Long Course, holding WOT for so long around the giant NASCA track.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be transporting my 1st gen zoom zoom from San Francisco/Sacramento to Nationals as well. I have the opportunity to pull a two car trailer if anyone needs to transport a car and wants to drive 1/2 as much.

PM me if you need a transport spot.

-dave
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I'll be transporting my 1st gen zoom zoom from San Francisco/Sacramento to Nationals as well.
that's a LONG haul ....
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I'll be transporting my 1st gen zoom zoom from San Francisco/Sacramento to Nationals as well. I have the opportunity to pull a two car trailer if anyone needs to transport a car and wants to drive 1/2 as much.

PM me if you need a transport spot.

-dave
damn it dave, where was this offer when i hit you up a month ago

good luck everyone,
sean

ps. dave, we need to talk more about that rear diff you mentioned up a t-hill.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

NASA Championship is over and my Evo 8 did well. Friday was raining and I was fastest in practice, qualified 1st and finished 1st out of 18 cars in ST-2. Saturday morning started out wet and I qualified 2cd (on a drying track). The rain stopped and I was able to finish 5th in the race after battling the 3 Vipers and a Corvette. With those finishes I was gridded 2cd for the final championship race on Sunday were I got got my *** kicked! Finished 7th after several crashes and spin outs allowed drivers to get the best of me. I was at the wrong place each time. Thankfully I was able to avoid hitting the cars that spun out ahead of me and nobody hit me from behind, but each time I was held up and got passed and then was unable to regain the positions back. So I started each race on the front row and brought the car back home unscathed. I was officially weighed and dynoed at the event. Minimum weight was 3237lbs. with driver, HP was 366 and torque was 415ft lbs. HP to weight ratio for ST-2 is greater than 8.70 3237/366hp =8.84+ .4 (for 4 door sedan) - .5 (AWD) + .4 (for 275 tire size)= 9.14 I was way over weight for the class! 3080/366+.4-.5+.4=8.71 I need to lose 150lbs!! I have a set of carbon/fiberglass doors but did not have time to install them....One more race weekend at Watkins Glen October 4,5 then I'll make the car lighter for next season.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^ Nice, congrats. Lose weight, or gain power
Old Sep 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apex electric
NASA Championship is over and my Evo 8 did well. Friday was raining and I was fastest in practice, qualified 1st and finished 1st out of 18 cars in ST-2. Saturday morning started out wet and I qualified 2cd (on a drying track). The rain stopped and I was able to finish 5th in the race after battling the 3 Vipers and a Corvette. With those finishes I was gridded 2cd for the final championship race on Sunday were I got got my *** kicked! Finished 7th after several crashes and spin outs allowed drivers to get the best of me. I was at the wrong place each time. Thankfully I was able to avoid hitting the cars that spun out ahead of me and nobody hit me from behind, but each time I was held up and got passed and then was unable to regain the positions back. So I started each race on the front row and brought the car back home unscathed. I was officially weighed and dynoed at the event. Minimum weight was 3237lbs. with driver, HP was 366 and torque was 415ft lbs. HP to weight ratio for ST-2 is greater than 8.70 3237/366hp =8.84+ .4 (for 4 door sedan) - .5 (AWD) + .4 (for 275 tire size)= 9.14 I was way over weight for the class! 3080/366+.4-.5+.4=8.71 I need to lose 150lbs!! I have a set of carbon/fiberglass doors but did not have time to install them....One more race weekend at Watkins Glen October 4,5 then I'll make the car lighter for next season.
A big congrats.

I'm not real up on the ST-2 rules. Do you have a link or website explaining how you have your car setup currently? I'm curious.

I'm setup for TTA now; but pretty much rebuilding after an 'off' this summer and curious what other options I have.

Quick Reply: Evo racing at NASA Nationals at Mid Ohio