Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STX vs STU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STX vs STU

I've been doing a bit of research on here (and NASIOC) and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the main/(only?) difference between STU and STX is the width of wheel allowed (8" being the max for STX whereas STU does not have this limit). Both enforce a 245 tire for AWD cars.

Now I know from reading the threads that most of you will say to buy 8.5" wheels to run the 245s, and I'm sure you're right. That probably is the faster combination. But I'm finishing up my first season and only run locally, so I'm not on here looking for setups for nationals. I'm also not going to buy a whole new set of wheels to run 245s. If I were to buy wider wheels/tires I'd do it more aggressive and move into BSP rather than moving up one size to 245s. But that's just me.

My point is, why don't I see any STX threads? Is no one running 245s on the stock wheels? Is there some other rule that I'm missing that's keeping people from STX, or is it just that everyone wants that extra .5" wheel?

I'm curious because I'm going to prepare my Evo for a certain class and want to decide which class that is first. I originally thought BSP, but that's a little more extreme than I wanted to go as far as modifications and keeping up with other people in the class. I had considered AS as well, but it sounds like I wouldn't stand much of a chance there. So that brought me to STU and then I started reading about STX and couldn't find much about it here.

What say ye?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 09:58 AM

Evo's are specifically excluded from STX. Sorry!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Washburn
Evo's are specifically excluded from STX. Sorry!
Thought it might be something Evo specific like that. Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

If your JUST starting: Evo's made a strong showing(won) in AS recently at one of the national events. go figure.... Not saying that everyone who drives can be a national competitor but if your just starting you may be able to gank the locals. Basically it means dont rule out a class because of what you have read. Alot of times its the driver.

STU doesnt seam be a national win class for Evo's, sti's are edging us there. Although I think with good driving and research it could. SM and BSP are the classes we dominate (just what I read )

GL HF
Old Sep 7, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
If your JUST starting: Evo's made a strong showing(won) in AS recently at one of the national events.
Which event? I can't seem to find one an Evo's won?

You can show up at a local event and win in an Evo. You can even show up and trounce nearly everyone there, depending on where you run. Just don't be surprised when you go up against someone who does well nationally and are five seconds off the pace.

AS is the only class the Evo runs in where it doesn't really have a shot. In STU, BSP, SM, and its looking like FP, its probably the car to have.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are going Novice, then run STU vs. AS, BSP, SM or FP. The Pax is better.

You can win Novice at a local event with an Evo in N-STU. I've got 1 2nd place (SCCA) and 3 1st places (ER, local club, not quite as stiff a competition) -- in 5 events this year total.

Now if I was in STU or AS then I'd be 2-4 seconds behind those prepared cars (slowly edging the gap!).

Today, there was a new STi and he was running T-AS and he was consistently 0.3 seconds faster than me. The extra 0.5l will make a difference in the low speed setup like we ran today.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Which event? I can't seem to find one an Evo's won?

You can show up at a local event and win in an Evo. You can even show up and trounce nearly everyone there, depending on where you run. Just don't be surprised when you go up against someone who does well nationally and are five seconds off the pace.

AS is the only class the Evo runs in where it doesn't really have a shot. In STU, BSP, SM, and its looking like FP, its probably the car to have.
Wendover Pro. He is fast, blew away Scott McHugh along with STU. I think he won the MMP Pro overall last year too. Very nice and knows Evos, member of EvoM too.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh. Yeah, I missed that. I wonder what he's got done to the car.