Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Sponsored Evo X Wins NASA TT-A National Championship!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I didn't think an Evo IX was competitive in TT-A, but a X wasn't even on my radar for discussion. What is making your X so much faster with such a weak HP/weight ratio (besides driver and suspension)? There have been very well setup Evos with great drivers who got pounded by Vettes, and you not only passed all of those cars, but jumped way ahead. That is a HUGE jump in a car that is "slower" due to hp/weight ratio. What is the magic?
I was sort of wondering the same thing. Is it the car or the driver?

Ryan, what is your driving experience? You're new here, but have you been a nationally competitive driver in other platforms or in other racing venues (karts, etc.)? Don't be modest...

Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats, that's a very impressive time, especially for someone who raced at mid-ohio for the first time. Your success leaves us all doomed
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Well, just think if someone get's an MR properly setup like Ryan's....with microsecond shifting....
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I didn't think an Evo IX was competitive in TT-A, but a X wasn't even on my radar for discussion. What is making your X so much faster with such a weak HP/weight ratio (besides driver and suspension)? There have been very well setup Evos with great drivers who got pounded by Vettes, and you not only passed all of those cars, but jumped way ahead. That is a HUGE jump in a car that is "slower" due to hp/weight ratio. What is the magic?
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I was sort of wondering the same thing. Is it the car or the driver?

Ryan, what is your driving experience? You're new here, but have you been a nationally competitive driver in other platforms or in other racing venues (karts, etc.)? Don't be modest...

Thanks.
I don't really have an answer for either of you. I think the X is a great car no doubt, but there really isn't any "magic" to it. The car was heavy (3,544#'s), was on a mild tune (330whp at the track dyno) and it was my first time at Mid O. I guess I don't have any secrets to give out, but I'd extend an offer for a ride, it'd be the easiest way to explain everything.

As for experience hmmm.....karting and motocross should cover it
Originally Posted by Evo8
Congrats, that's a very impressive time, especially for someone who raced at mid-ohio for the first time. Your success leaves us all doomed
Thanks man! Mid O is awesome, it's in my Top 5 for tracks now. I had never seen videos of the track, just went there with an open mind and loved it! I'm sure other people will be fast next year. What is a typical fast lap for an Evo around Mid O? My best of the weekend was a 1:31.7

Ryan
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack

What is a typical fast lap for an Evo around Mid O? My best of the weekend was a 1:31.7

Ryan
IMO, the quickest times you'd see out of a TTA Evo 8/9 would be what Ed ran...1:36's.. Greg Wallace was the lone Evo last year, in an Evo 8, and I think he ran 1:38's.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broeli
IMO, the quickest times you'd see out of a TTA Evo 8/9 would be what Ed ran...1:36's.. Greg Wallace was the lone Evo last year, in an Evo 8, and I think he ran 1:38's.
Hmm interesting.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan. Im glad you made it to Nationals and that you stuck around. I think its great that you were able to overcome what you did to achieve the TTA National Championship. Keep in touch, and i look forward to seeing you again soon. Btw, i always get crap from my local TT friends for keeping my car clean. You definitely way surpass me in that category!!! Too bad i dont have any pics to make fun of you with.

Btw, to the rest of you guys. I posted my results thread, and i think you might find it helpful. Its a very long read. Hopefully a few of my responses might also shed some light. Have fun reading:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...een#msg7467279

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=370416
Old Sep 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan drives as fast as he does because he is 73% machine..... That is what I figure. Somewhere in that percential range....LOL

Great driving again, cant wait to hit up some of the same tracks again next year. Got some plans and wanna see how I stack up!!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats! Last year my car had 37's in it if I had not checked out china Beach on day two. 36's? Maybe. 32's? Never ever in TTA form. It sounds like the IX is a little better than the VIII in TTA trim, and then X better still. I thought saw your hp/tq somewhere else, what were your numbers (not the dynapak)?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Congrats! Last year my car had 37's in it if I had not checked out china Beach on day two. 36's? Maybe. 32's? Never ever in TTA form. It sounds like the IX is a little better than the VIII in TTA trim, and then X better still. I thought saw your hp/tq somewhere else, what were your numbers (not the dynapak)?

My car made around 360whp/370wtq before the stock intake was put on for Saturday. I think if I would've had a tune for the stock intake and a cone filter, I'd be at 350ish, oh well...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC the Pure Tuning Evo IX's short stint in TTA netted them a fastest lap of 1:36~ around Mid Ohio as well. But they seem to give up a LOT to the Vettes down the back straight. Aero and straight up power are always in the Vette's favor it seems, although a well-driven Evo can certainly make them nervous through sections like Madness.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Pure's car was a TTS car, not TTA. You got the time right though!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Nice WORK!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Congradulations!

Quick Reply: AMS Sponsored Evo X Wins NASA TT-A National Championship!