Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Sponsored Evo X Wins NASA TT-A National Championship!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noob4life
IIRC the Pure Tuning Evo IX's short stint in TTA netted them a fastest lap of 1:36~ around Mid Ohio as well. But they seem to give up a LOT to the Vettes down the back straight. Aero and straight up power are always in the Vette's favor it seems, although a well-driven Evo can certainly make them nervous through sections like Madness.
I didn't have too much trouble keeping up with the Vettes on the straight, even with the stock intake for the final run. I did give up ALOT more with it on, but the Z06 ahead of me wasn't just walking away from me. Hmmm maybe the X is more aerodynamic. I haven't seen any data on it yet tho.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats.

Had a few locals that went up and did pretty good from down here.

Wish I could have made it. good work.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
Congrats.

Had a few locals that went up and did pretty good from down here.

Wish I could have made it. good work.
Thanks! Who was it that came up here and what class?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is what I would call the ultimate video camera with nice engine sound and datalogger, no idea on what a system like this would cost but it really had me in the front seat of that STI. Maybe one of your sponsors can swing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQMD228GFgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv86oidEWqM&feature=user

Not sure how good his times but thought the STI vs GTR was kind of neat.

I think this is it: http://www.soloperformance.com/Race-..._p_0-1177.html

Last edited by Hiboost; Sep 24, 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, James' setup is nice. It would be nice to have a cool setup like that, but I don't know what I'll have setup later. For now, the GoPro works great and was cheap

Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
Here is what I would call the ultimate video camera with nice engine sound and datalogger, no idea on what a system like this would cost but it really had me in the front seat of that STI. Maybe one of your sponsors can swing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQMD228GFgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv86oidEWqM&feature=user

Not sure how good his times but thought the STI vs GTR was kind of neat.

I think this is it: http://www.soloperformance.com/Race-..._p_0-1177.html
For about $2000 you can get everything: data logger, camera and camera hardware that synchronizes to the data logger, and all the video editing software.

Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats Ryan!!! Would you say a combination of better handling due to S-AYC and straight line speed/acceleration on the EVO X possibly due to more power and aero efficiency compared the the EVO8/9 helped ?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Thanks! Who was it that came up here and what class?
I think jimmy platis was up and took TTB in his grey evo, Jared was running tts in his vette, he's QUICK, guess he was beat by danny.

A few others, the florida guys are all good guys. I miss running. everytime i look at the nats results and local stuff, it's a bummer.

Ah well, it was fun when it lasted though. got too $$$ for me.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Congrats Ryan!!! Would you say a combination of better handling due to S-AYC and straight line speed/acceleration on the EVO X possibly due to more power and aero efficiency compared the the EVO8/9 helped ?
I really don't know why I was so much faster than all the other TT-A Evo's before, could be many things. I know my car wasn't faster (top speed wise) than all the others, when I did the 1:31.7 my speed on the straight was 147mph, but on the official 1:33.6 was only a 135mph. Just gonna have to see if any other X's can step up and post these times, that would say something about the car........
I think jimmy platis was up and took TTB in his grey evo, Jared was running tts in his vette, he's QUICK, guess he was beat by danny.

A few others, the florida guys are all good guys. I miss running. everytime i look at the nats results and local stuff, it's a bummer.

Ah well, it was fun when it lasted though. got too $$$ for me.
I think I met Jared, nice guy and had a really cool car. Congrats to all of them!

Ryan
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Damn pepsi!!!

you got an STI now!!!

Anthony is going to be doing my cage in my 08 EVO modeled after the beauty he put in yours!!!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Jared's a good guy. He's definatly one of the guys that i'd stick my nose in, wheel to wheel, knowing he's gonna hold his line and run you clean.

Great driver, and fast car. Jimmy that ran in ttb is workin his way up there too. I used to run non-stop down here, then the bills caught up. Have some 50ish days on track with the evo, but sold it in june, and basically gave it up due to cost.

I normally instruct with the one club though, so i need to get back out there (instructing, wrx won't see the track)

And nah, just a wrx. Daily driver. nice AWD vehicle, doesn't have the evo power, but it's gotta be the quietest car i've ever owned.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

And low 1:30's is HAULIN there.
Thats good stuff man.

I was just getting a feel for the track, running a new suspension last year for a few days, and was amazed at that track, wanted to run nationals, but didn't happen.

Ah well, it happens. Met some real good people because of Nasa, and the other racing groups. good times.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BlackTrack, I dunno...your times are not even in the same range as many other TT-A Evos who have significantly better HP/WT ratios, so we're a little beyond (ah, maybe it's just a little better). We're talking WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better, because the guys hitting 1:36-1:38 aren't chumps, and you have even more of a disadvantage against the Z06s who should have been leaving you in the dust if your weight and WHP are accurate.

There has to be something very, very significant that is making it faster. It's either extreme driving expertise, or the 10s handling improvements are massive. Didn't you run a IX before? I didn't think the results were anything like this (relative to the field, I mean).

Whatever it is, it's VERY impressive...you even blew away a well-built TTS Evo by 5 seconds.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

And low 1:30's is HAULIN there.
Thats good stuff man.

I was just getting a feel for the track, running a new suspension last year for a few days, and was amazed at that track, wanted to run nationals, but didn't happen.

Ah well, it happens. Met some real good people because of Nasa, and the other racing groups. good times.
Jared seemed really nice, I didn't chat with him much, I was too busy being protested haha.

Hope you get out on track again soon, seemed like you had a pretty badass setup on your IX. And you're right about Mid O, it was my first time and I fell in love! It's a very fun track. Most of the NASA guys I've met this year are awesome, much cooler and much more light hearted than my other experiences...which is a nice change of pace.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
BlackTrack, I dunno...your times are not even in the same range as many other TT-A Evos who have significantly better HP/WT ratios, so we're a little beyond (ah, maybe it's just a little better). We're talking WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better, because the guys hitting 1:36-1:38 aren't chumps, and you have even more of a disadvantage against the Z06s who should have been leaving you in the dust if your weight and WHP are accurate.

There has to be something very, very significant that is making it faster. It's either extreme driving expertise, or the 10s handling improvements are massive. Didn't you run a IX before? I didn't think the results were anything like this (relative to the field, I mean).

Whatever it is, it's VERY impressive...you even blew away a well-built TTS Evo by 5 seconds.
As far as my HP/WT....after the last session of the weekend, I weighed in at 3,528 #'s and dyno'd at 336whp (stock intake).

I don't have a true answer for you as to why I was so much faster. The X is a good car no doubt, but I'd LOVE to see if another similarly prepped X can run a 1:31 or 1:32, that would speak volumes for the car. Im not one to brag, so I'll leave it at that.

I did have a IX, it had Helix coilovers on it, lap times were alot slower. I think if I were to have IX setup the same as my X I'd be close in times, within 1.5secs Id guess.

Thanks for the kind words tho Warr, good to hear them coming from you.
-Ryan

Quick Reply: AMS Sponsored Evo X Wins NASA TT-A National Championship!