Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I Need Roll Cage Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need "Bolt-In" Roll Cage Recommendations

I run my Evo 8 at PCA, NASA and BMW Driver Ed events.
The tracks I run are Watkins Glen, Pocono, New Jersey Motorsports Park, Summit Point, etc. I run in the instructed run group, so my pace is fast and furious.

My friend just crashed his Honda Challenge car this weekend at Thunderbolt, but he's OK thanks to his 6 point roll cage. It was an Autopower bolt-in.

I was just about to order an Autopower Roll bar, but now I want a bolt-in roll cage. Problem is, I don't want to cut up my dashboard for the front mounting points. And, it would be nice to have the front side bars removeable on the driver and passenger sides.

I don't want a custom roll cage, but wanted to see if anyone knows of a bolt-in cage for my Evo 8 with sunroof.

Thanks.

Last edited by george3; Oct 19, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I would not trust a bolt in cage to withstand a substantial hit let alone two hits. I have a tig welded custom cage that was done in the Ct. area. I also know a builder in VT. that builds hill climb cars were the cage must be extremely well built to withstand cars going over cliffs into trees..Don't fool around with a bolt in! Also as strong a Evo roofs are (compared to a BMW) I would not use racing seat / belts without a minimum roll bar to stop your neck from breaking if the roof collapses. David Fazzino NASA Super Touring racer #101 Watkins Glen fastest time 2:07.9
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Any other suggestions?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Good thread

But I think with your requests it will have to be custom
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Autopower is the only bolt in cage worth looking at. Otherwise you have to go with a custom made, and it aint cheap..

I know Kyle from HotLap was running 6pt Autopower bolt in his old evo. He was doing ~2m02 in the Glen.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:32 PM

pm sent
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just recently purchased a autopower cage, havent recieved it yet though
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

you kinda answered your own question. If your friend's autopower worked up your liking then get that for the evo. There cages don't cut thru the dash they come down before it and bend around dash.

If your interested. I have an Autopower roll bar for sale for $350 for a sunroof car. You can then just buy the add on front part. They list it on autopower's website.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:50 AM
Account Disabled

You can Check out Nate Dogg Creations in Lansdale, Pa. I know he does custom rollcages for shops like R/T Tuning and other locals.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:57 AM
Former Sponsor

stay away from all bolt in cages. Go to a local place that is well received in your area have have them build you a cage.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

A good cage builder can put a full cage in without cutting the dash. You will lose the side vents. The only compromise is whether or not to cut the door panels to keep the side bar farther from the seat. It will cost more in labor. The only down side is the extra weight from keeping the full interior. Winter is coming and sub zero temps. make removing the sound deadening material really easy! Just tap it with a soft mallet and it cracks off the metal cleanly!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by george3
I run my Evo 8 at PCA, NASA and BMW Driver Ed events.
The tracks I run are Watkins Glen, Pocono, New Jersey Motorsports Park, Summit Point, etc. I run in the instructed run group, so my pace is fast and furious.

My friend just crashed his Honda Challenge car this weekend at Thunderbolt, but he's OK thanks to his 6 point roll cage. It was an Autopower bolt-in.

I was just about to order an Autopower Roll bar, but now I want a bolt-in roll cage. Problem is, I don't want to cut up my dashboard for the front mounting points. And, it would be nice to have the front side bars removeable on the driver and passenger sides.

I don't want a custom roll cage, but wanted to see if anyone knows of a bolt-in cage for my Evo 8 with sunroof.

Thanks.

The *only* bolt in cage for a sunroofed Evo 8 is the autopower model. Everything else will be a welded one or jointed (Cusco, Safety 21) and be essentially worthless.

With that said, you may be able to modify the autopower cage to your specific application.

Call Kurt Omensetter at Phoenix Auto Center in Palm, PA. They do all the cages for the SCCA Touring crowd. Nobody in the country does better work. He may be able to make something up that covers your needs.

http://phoenixperformance.net/autocenter.html
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

I'm with the other people who say stay away from the bolt-in cages. Also, if you're willing to track your car, why not install a proper cage and keep it as close to the frame as possible, making the cage as stout as possible.

Every time I see a cage with extra bends introduced to the main hoop so it'll clear the dash I just shake my head. I had two good friends involved in a massive crash earlier in the year. Left the road at ~70 mph and clear cut a 12" tree. A properly designed cage and HANS devices saved their lives.

My cage was ordered with all of the tubes pre-bent from a manufacturer in the UK, who produce most of the FIA spec rally cages around the world. All you need is a competant welder to assemble everything. You can see details of the build by looking in my signature. It did require cutting the dash and modifying the door panels for fitment.

If the appearance of the cage is more important as the function, you could always think about keeping this car as your DD, and look for something else to race. I started with a salvage Evo b/c I couldn't justify the cost of a new one, and I know in the back of my head, each event I enter could result in the need to build a new one.

Have fun & stay safe!

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Autopower has a bolt-in cage that doesn't require messing with the dash BUT I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't fit that tightly. If you are contemplating a cage, you might want to give DTM a call and see what they could do for you. They build custom cages and are not crazy expensive.

Give some thought not only to roll over protection, but side impact protection. The bolt-in options just don't fit that tightly in any direction.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Just saw this cage from NR Autosports in the UK - looks bolt in but it's also made of steel (not chrome moly or aluminum) and is FIA compliant. Will also clear the dash - unsure about sunroof.

Looks good enough for basic track work - has all the right cross braces and all important side braces - bend to clear the dash looks minimal as well - not too extreme.

Sure bolt in cages aren't the best option but they're a cost effective way to get started IMHO and will at least get you compliant with regulations as long as you're not doing alot of close contact, high speed wheel to wheel racing.

I do hower recommend against those Cusco cages...seen them in person and egh!

http://www.nr-autosport.com/aftermar...duct.htm?id=56

I looked around NR Autosports' site and noticed that they did Lee Broadhurst's Time Attack car, which uses the same cage. Lots of pics and info about that car here:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...-evo-9-gt.aspx

Last edited by theshadow; Nov 1, 2008 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: I Need Roll Cage Recommendations