Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

did anyone put EVO IN WIND TUNNEL??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nkryptd1
Im probably mis-interpreting these pictures but both the ones in the link above and the pic of the voltex kit it appears more air is flowing under the wing? Wouldn't this cause lift? I thought the wing was supposed to help down force.

Again I suck at physics but Im just trying to make sense of the two pictures.
what you see under the wing is the slower moving air, think of an airplane the air going under its wing moves faster then the air that has to curve up and over it...this cause lift, the faster air moving over the top of the wing causes the wing to want to drive towards the ground, also causing lift but in the opposite direction, apparently the voltex wing was designed to add hundreds of pounds of pressure to the rear end, gotta love voltex
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chabada15
what you see under the wing is the slower moving air, think of an airplane the air going under its wing moves faster then the air that has to curve up and over it...this cause lift, the faster air moving over the top of the wing causes the wing to want to drive towards the ground, also causing lift but in the opposite direction, apparently the voltex wing was designed to add hundreds of pounds of pressure to the rear end, gotta love voltex
That makes complete sense. Thank you! I just saw more of the smoke trail under and made the dumb assumption.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
damn you tim lol. i always have fun trying to dig up this stuff. but when i tried my search button was ****ed.

well more pics, from the same thread i think
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_0565.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_0584.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_0608.jpg
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nkryptd1
...appears more air is flowing under the wing? Wouldn't this cause lift? I thought the wing was supposed to help down force.
Why do you think all the big-name drag racers take off the wing? If it gave them more traction they would keep the wing, right?

Wingless FTW

Clic here to see the world's fastest EVO in the 85704 zip code.

Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Why do you think all the big-name drag racers take off the wing? If it gave them more traction they would keep the wing, right?

Wingless FTW

They take it off to save weight. The rear spoiler helps keep the back wheels down which is mostly important when the car is taking a corner around the track at 80+ mph where understeer and oversteer can cause the car to lose traction and fly off the track into a wall.

Contrary to some beliefs in the proper setting, a wing does have function. Personal preference and driving style depend on if one keeps it on there or not.

I tend to think an Evo without a wing just looks like a lancer, so I keep mine on.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats the green things all over it
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson

Wingless FTW

taking off the wing reduces drag so the shave off a few tenths of a second. and it does give them more traction... at higher speeds.

Last edited by itzcharlez; Oct 24, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
whats the green things all over it
its little strings so they (the engineers) can see what directions airflow takes over the body panels of the car
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

in my opinion evos were designed to do alot more then go in a straight line for 1/4 mile at a time, so when it was designed the people behind the doors at mitsu thought about cornering and keeping you from flying into the wall or the woods, since the evo was designed for the WRC and then moved to time attack and circuit racing
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

You have this completely backwards. The air is moving faster over the underside of the wing, and the pressure is decreased relative to the top. The net effect is a downward force as the air on top of the wing exerts more pressure, and therefore more force, on the top surface of the wing and than the air on the underside does.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you compare 1g eclipse/talon and evo ? 1gen is much better in wind tunnel than evo, in evo you can even feel it when its windy and you go on the hway :d its like driving a truck.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html

Airplanes wings are flat on bottom and curved on top. The air hits the front of the wing and splits. The top has a longer distance to travel than the bottom but the molecules want to stay together so they speed up on top. Its Bernoulli's principal. Increase velocity = decreases pressure.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
If you compare 1g eclipse/talon and evo ? 1gen is much better in wind tunnel than evo, in evo you can even feel it when its windy and you go on the hway :d its like driving a truck.
might as well be - we have the same Cf as a brick/truck/minivan
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
You have this completely backwards. The air is moving faster over the underside of the wing, and the pressure is decreased relative to the top. The net effect is a downward force as the air on top of the wing exerts more pressure, and therefore more force, on the top surface of the wing and than the air on the underside does.
no i dont i just didnt explain the pressure which you have correct, but as far as wind speed (aka velocity) goes im 100% correct

http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html

Airplanes wings are flat on bottom and curved on top. The air hits the front of the wing and splits. The top has a longer distance to travel than the bottom but the molecules want to stay together so they speed up on top. Its Bernoulli's principal. Increase velocity = decreases pressure.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

no i dont i just didnt explain the pressure which you have correct, but as far as wind speed goes im 100% correct
No, you're not correct. The air speed on the underside is faster than than on top. Go study bernoulli's principle and airfoil lift and you'll see you have it mixed up. Keep in mind many discussions you'll read are about wings for generating lift upwards like airplane wings, and that the wing in our discussion is inverted relative to those.

Last edited by TSiAWD666; Oct 24, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: did anyone put EVO IN WIND TUNNEL??