Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVOlutionary's Wind Tunnel Test

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Pics of V3.0? I'm assuming this is different from the 3d setup I ran last year, and David and I had chatted about different options for this go-round. I'm just curious if you've already got a setup in hand? I'd be more than willing to send out what we used last year, but I think his new stuff will be superior, so not sure if its worth testing.

I'm on a tight budget, but I may be able to contribute to help get you into the tunnel. I was just planning on heading out to the track and making changes to the stuff I've got, and just basing my final settings on what yielded the quickest lap.

Thanks!

Dave
Hey Dave! I will send you some pics when I get it finished. The new version will have about 2x the venturi surface area as last year's unit. David also has a new core material that he is going to try that should be much stiffer while not adding much weight. With you needing ground clearance there probably won't be room for the extra venturis on your car - my splitter sits about 2" off the ground so it is farther away from the underside of the driveline, so there is more room to play . . .

You and I had the exact same splitter/undertray last year. The differences were your giant canards and I think you added an air dam hanging down below your splitter didn't you?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Hey Dave! I will send you some pics when I get it finished. The new version will have about 2x the venturi surface area as last year's unit. David also has a new core material that he is going to try that should be much stiffer while not adding much weight. With you needing ground clearance there probably won't be room for the extra venturis on your car - my splitter sits about 2" off the ground so it is farther away from the underside of the driveline, so there is more room to play . . .

You and I had the exact same splitter/undertray last year. The differences were your giant canards and I think you added an air dam hanging down below your splitter didn't you?
We actually found we had adequate ground clearance on the splitter at PPIHC, but the air dam took a beating. I'm thinking about spacing the splitter down another inch and skipping the air dam all together. There were some rules concerning 'vertical inches' and whether or not the air dam counted, so for race day, it wasn't on the car.

Looking forward to see what you and DHP Composites have come up with!

Dave