Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

great depression 2009. Is it affecting your track activity?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funds have been very low. I have not been able to do anything with my car. Will have to wait and see.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Goofygrin
I think the time is changing , depression i guess got a different meaning economically today.
Today the economy is a way more different , then back in 1929 and so.

I do believe we have a depression.
Rob
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Our economy today is more global. Thanx to instant worldwide communication, the world has become a lot smaller place, and what used to be localized events, not make a global impact.
It's supposed to work both ways, obviously, and doing business with a much larger audience hopefully will make for a quicker rebound. I personally blame the media for a large portion of it. The most important thing for them is to get viewers, and the best way they've found to get 'em is to scare people into tuning in. IMO, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't always take the worse-case scenario approach. By doing this, people got scared and stopped spending money early. This of course hurt business, which in turn hurt business' stock prices, which in turn got/is getting people laid off. The biggest joke (not in a funny way) is the bank bailout. The feds gave the banks all that money, but didn't force them to lend it to people. They got to recoup from their bad decisions, but as usual, we all are left holding the bag. Since they now have A++++ credit standards, people aren't getting loans for houses, cars, small business, motorcycles (my business)... you name it. And the ones that are getting money, aren't getting enough to get what they need/want, i.e a guy wants/needs a Tundra, and he's only getting enough to buy a Corolla.
I just hope it ends sooner rather than later. There's a lot of us that can't hold on for much longer.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

yes, sure its global.
And i see what you are saying about the impact of the media on it. I do agree with that.
Too much money got robbed in the US government a last 8 years. So it is kinda necessary to clear out the evidence, and start from ground zero is a good idea.
When you have a great economy crisis, then you can hide a lots of stuff ... Like Only 1 guy embezzle 50 billion.... Etc.
Anyway.
It is hurt my plans for 09 about racing for sure.
But i'll try my best . That is all i can do.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Get rid of the Evo and track something the doesn't cost so damn much to run. 5 motors and 4 gearboxes and at least 100 R-compound tires in 3 years is enough BS on $8/gal race gas.

That's what I'm doing. Get a Miata! 91 octane is under $2/gal now and Miata gets about 12 mpg on track compared to maybe 5 mpg for Evo. Miata Brembo OEM brake rotors cost $30.

And if you club race, forget an Evo unless you have Bill Gates' money.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Jan 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Get rid of the Evo and track something the doesn't cost so damn much to run. 5 motors and 4 gearboxes and at least 100 R-compound tires in 3 years is enough BS on $8/gal race gas.

That's what I'm doing. Get a Miata! 91 octane is under $2/gal now and Miata gets about 12 mpg on track compared to maybe 5 mpg for Evo. Miata Brembo OEM brake rotors cost $30.

Don't forget E30 BMWs or even Spec Focus. I know, I know... a USDM focus? From what I hear a fully setup track car (full cage, spare parts, etc) will run you well under $20k. That's pretty hard to beat for a club racer.

I used to have a Mk MR2, and it was brilliant. $4k for the car, $1500 a year for R comps (autox), cheap routine maintenance, and I think it was nearly national-level competitive car (scca solo 2 ES). The mr2 was less thrilling but more rewarding a car to drive compared to the evo, too.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO

you are 100 % right.

But my love is blind
I would rather do less track days, then swap my Evo to a Miata.
When i crashed my IX RS, i was debating to get an other IX RS - VIII RS or the STI. But i had to get a X, as soon as i sit in and drove one. I like to experiment, and this is a completely new beast, and new challenges.
I have a big faith in the Evolution in general.
For me the Evo is an ultimate thrill to drive, since i got into one. Several reasons.
For me, the track days are not a job or a must, its a pleasure. And any minute i can spend on the race track with mine , is a gift for me.

I hope you understand me.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 1, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
going way OT, but we're not in a depression. Recession for sure, but honestly it's simply the downside of the sine wave that is the economy. The bigger issue is that the last peak was artificially held up (due to various factors). That makes the downturn harder and faster than normal. Unfortunately the catalyst that sparked this downturn was the greed of the people controlling the oil market (not the oil companies unfortunately, they made [and will make] a lot of money from the manipulation, but the nymex market is a very loosely run market and very easy to manipulate). The price of oil hitting $140 and causing gas to increase to > $4/gal in the US was the last straw on the camel's back and it broke the bubble that had been rebuilding since 2004 or so.

The .com bust lead to the real estate bust... and here we are. The market manipulation really started in the 80's when inflation was so high. Since then our cycles have become more and more pronounced. My main concern is that the powers that be will attempt to pull the economy around, rather than let it drift lower as it needs to. If the market is artificially pulled back up again, it will only make yet another bust come around, this one bigger and more painful than the last.

For people that live within their means and aren't living paycheck to paycheck, times haven't changed too much (although smart ones are more cautious about big expenses and are looking to buy cheap investments). For people that have overextended themselves (people in SoCal I'm looking right at you) then times are going to suck. If you are carrying credit card debt then I really feel for you (but I don't want to bail you out so pay your bills deadbeat! ).

To anyone looking for financial advice, the best I can give you is to make sure that you start building real wealth (not cars and "stuff") and have a large enough semi-liquid safety fund that you can make it through what a reasonable downturn for your personal economy would be. That might be 3 months worth of funds or it might be 12 months. There's an old saying that for every $10k you make it will take you a month to find a new job if you lose yours. So if you make $80k, then you should have 8 months of living expenses. At the very least this means rent/mortgage, taxes, insurance (health [heaven help you if you get hurt or really sick without insurance here *shudder*] & car), car payments, food, utilities. If you lose your income, then you need to start cutting quickly and to the bone. No booze, no smokes, no extra cars, no eating out, no partying, no cell phone, no cable, etc. I've been in the situation where I didn't cut enough quickly enough and my 3 months cushion turned into 1.5 months and then I was scrambling. It sucked.

If your race budget isn't the same as your beer budget but its in the same bucket as your rent money, then you likely shouldn't be racing. (unless you're young and single... have all the fun you want. For those of us guys with a family, well... your priorities might need readjusting ).

And the comment to get a cheaper car to race in is a great one. I've talked to a lot of older racers (meaning those that have been racing for 20+ years and have raced everything under the sun) and they all say there comes a point where going super fast and doing dumb things just isn't fun any more. Just being out there and getting 95% of the same exhilaration in a $5k Miata (that's fun to drive during the week too) makes them happy.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Comparing today's economic situation to the Great Depression is like comparing the war in Iraq to WWII.
. . .
Just wait. The worst is still ahead of us. Today's economic situation is not the same as the Great Depression, but it is similar to the days leading up to it. This world economic crisis will change the United States dramatically, and change it forever.

What happens when I rack up so many bills - mortgage, cars, credit cards, etc - that my monthly income is not enough to pay the minimum payment on my bills?? I go into default and either the bank takes back the property or I file bankruptcy. The US government is just around the corner from not being able to make good on it's debts to the world. When that happens, well, it is going to be very bad. The dollar will cease to have any value.

As to the topic at hand - I will not be doing any drastic mods to the car this year and probably only doing some local events and 2-3 bigger National events as I've spent my entire 2009 racing budget stocking up on guns and mags and ammo . . .
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

It has pretty much killed my chances of going to Spa again this year. They raised the prices almost 100euro.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's certainly slowed progression of my mod's list over here in P.A. I hadn't noticed it much when i lived in Jersey but really the whole Nation took a turn for the worst a while back. Further back than people realize.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in the same boat. I do have to cut some of the expanse. Even though I just got 30R kit, but still, as far as track days I fear I will only be able to do so much
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by texrex2002
Luckily I am pretty unaffected by the downturn, but I am still cutting back my track days just to stuff more money in the bank (never know what might happen).

Anyone else changing their priorities? If so to what? cash? gold? real estate???
Yeah I am unaffected also, but did start to invest in real estate as the prices are dirt cheap.

The only thing that is going to cut my track days back, is not having my car done in time...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "great depression", NO. In fact, I quit my job of 7 years right before Christmas, moved to the Bay Area without having a new job lined up, and started another, better job that pays more, within a week of pulling a UHaul into the Bay with the Evo on a trailer on the back. The only thing that's hindering my starting the 09 season is the fact that I'm still getting settled in, working a lot, sick, and catching up on the extremely expensive move.

Most people I told before the move had nothing but discouraging things to say. I didn't even tell my Dad I was moving until I had been at my new place for a week and had the new job, so I could spare him the stress of worrying about it and he could go straight to being proud of me.

You could say I'm "lucky" but I don't believe in luck, and I could still lose my new job, but that goes for any job, any time. People say "fortune favors the brave", I guess that's true as long as you make your risks calculated and are willing to deal with any possible consequences.

Last edited by hokiruu; Jan 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Glad I drove 3 days at the Nurburgring in 2000 before the euro beat up the dollar. Could not afford that same trip today.

Quick Reply: great depression 2009. Is it affecting your track activity?