Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

great depression 2009. Is it affecting your track activity?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
So as it turns out the new job offer is clear up in NW Arkansas....closest track is Gateway I think....3 hours drive according to google...so it'll be awhile till I get back into the seat
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's also Hallet outside of Tulsa. Depending on where in Ark, that's not too far.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
The "great depression", NO. In fact, I quit my job of 7 years right before Christmas, moved to the Bay Area without having a new job lined up, and started another, better job that pays more, within a week of pulling a UHaul into the Bay with the Evo on a trailer on the back. The only thing that's hindering my starting the 09 season is the fact that I'm still getting settled in, working a lot, sick, and catching up on the extremely expensive move.

Most people I told before the move had nothing but discouraging things to say. I didn't even tell my Dad I was moving until I had been at my new place for a week and had the new job, so I could spare him the stress of worrying about it and he could go straight to being proud of me.

You could say I'm "lucky" but I don't believe in luck, and I could still lose my new job, but that goes for any job, any time. People say "fortune favors the brave", I guess that's true as long as you make your risks calculated and are willing to deal with any possible consequences.
Congrats on the move and new job. Are you in IT?

I "lost" my job last year (variety of reasons, some my fault, some not mine). Through luck and great timing I'd heard through the grapevine that a former client was looking for someone with my skillset. I was let go around lunch on a Thursday and by 5pm I'd basically secured a new gig. Started the next week making more money -- but I had to take a leap and instead of working for a company, I had to start my own company and deal with the headaches that that entails.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu

You could say I'm "lucky" but I don't believe in luck, and I could still lose my new job, but that goes for any job, any time. People say "fortune favors the brave", I guess that's true as long as you make your risks calculated and are willing to deal with any possible consequences.
I agree a 110%. I hate people that call me lucky. I am far from lucky, I just bust my ***, work as an RN, police officer, and own 2 businesses. Yeah "I am lucky", one day I just woke up and had all this.

Last edited by 0100; Jan 21, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

You still should remember that whatever the cost is to run a fast Evo at track days, its penny's compared to the pro laps times from the 70's and the lap times we now are running in our street cars! In the 90's at Lime Rock Park you needed over $120,000 invested in a Porsche to run under a minute. Now buy a Evo for 30k throw a suspension, turbo, set of wheels and R compound tires and watch while you pass anything but a Bush North stock car or prepped Porsche GT-2
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm planning on lots of days this year.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Evo will be getting no new mods for awile...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It hasn't really affected me. I have a stable job and only a mortgage to worry about. In fact at this point the current situation helped save me money. I recently refinanced my mortgage at a much lower rate.

If gas prices were to skyrocket I may decide not to track as much but that's basically because I don't believe there is or ever was an oil shortage and I don't like getting raped.

The fact is even during "hard times" we are still spoiled rotten in the USA.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I plan to hit the track up as much as last year. I work as a lineman on power lines. So as long as we use electricity things should remain stable. And as bad as this sounds..... the more natural disasters the more and considerably more money I make. But its not exactly easy work and has a higher then average death rate! LOL
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Its hurting not working but at least my cars are paid for makes it alot easier. So the Evo going to sit out this year.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
Congrats on the move and new job. Are you in IT?
No, although I wish I knew enough about IT to work in that field sometimes.

Originally Posted by 0100
I agree a 110%. I hate people that call me lucky. I am far from lucky, I just bust my ***, work as an RN, police officer, and own 2 businesses. Yeah "I am lucky", one day I just woke up and had all this.
I've seen your build, and you must bust your ***, because that is a total dream project!