Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Except that the STU rules explicitly say that boost changes from allowed modifications are legal. You just can't change the boost control system, which is much easier to police. Honestly, the only places protests are used is at national events, and the competitors there should know how the boost control system works on the small subset of competitive cars.
I think what Fair was getting at was that the boost changes from legal modifications create a sort of screen that makes it that much harder to pinpoint the exact cause of "illegal boost," especially if the changes come from the ECU. If the car is making X boost level, it's very tough to say that it's due to part Y when part Y AND part Z appear to be legal.

This same argument could be used to basically eliminate Stock class. If you can't police computer code, then how do you make sure Stock competitors aren't tuning their ECU?
You can't. I know of a couple local people who have told me to my face that their car has a re-tuned ECU but still running in Stock. There's no way I would have known otherwise. And even if I did find out on my own, I wouldn't have the hard evidence to prove it - and the problem is the same with ST*. The only way to alleviate it, IMO, is to allow free ECU tuning to ALL classes.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donour
I hate play devils advocate here and I swore to myself that I would get involved in this one (), but there's a lot of tricky stuff you could do. What if I created a copy of the boost table somewhere in the free space then change the load instruction to read from there. Ecuflash/Ecutek/whatever isn't going to know about my new table. Are you going to dissassemble the whole SuperH instruction sequence to look for changes?
No, I'm going to get a stock ECU ROM, download yours, and compare the hex files. You then have to prove that that big lump of code in the blank space on the stock ROM isn't a second boost control table.

FWIW, I would love to see them rent a dyno for Nationals and do a second gear pull for all the turbo ST cars as their "data collection" test next year.

This really isn't a whole lot more complicated than spotting a higher tension valve spring in an SP car. If you don't know what you're looking for, you won't find it, but if you do know how the ECU works, you can spot boost changes. The bottom line is open boost in ST would essentially make NA cars obsolete, much like it has in SP. They would have to create STT* and STNA*.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
No, I'm going to get a stock ECU ROM, download yours, and compare the hex files. You then have to prove that that big lump of code in the blank space on the stock ROM isn't a second boost control table.
Don't you have to prove that it is? I'm allowed to randomly change unused bits.

d
Old Mar 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the way the rule is written - if you are protested it is YOUR responsibility to prove you are INNOCENT. . .

Guilty until proven innocent . . .
Old Mar 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I believe the way the rule is written - if you are protested it is YOUR responsibility to prove you are INNOCENT. . .

Yeah it's all about what you can convince the protest committee of.

This thread is going downhill quickly. We should probably go back to actual prep talk now rather than protest/enforcement.

Anybody switched to the perrin intake?

d
Old Mar 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

actually section 8.3.1 says "If the required documentation does not include sufficient information on a protested item or specification, the burden shifts to the
protestor to prove the equipment or specification illegal."

"required documentation" is the service manual, TSB's, window stickers, etc. i'm pretty sure that no where in the service manual or anyother official mitsu documents are they going to discuss the ecu hex file values. So for ecu programing legality the burden of proof is with the protestor.

Last edited by griceiv; Mar 12, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone got an opinion on which tires are going to be the best? The RE11's look good and I'm sure the AD08's will be great but they're both out of my price range at the moment. I've heard that the XS's can't take a lot of heat so I'm deciding between the Z1 ss, the NT05 or maybe the soon to be released Hankook RS-3? I'm leaning towards the Z1's since they're already proven to be good but maybe one of the others will be better?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sscottttt
Anyone got an opinion on which tires are going to be the best? The RE11's look good and I'm sure the AD08's will be great but they're both out of my price range at the moment. I've heard that the XS's can't take a lot of heat so I'm deciding between the Z1 ss, the NT05 or maybe the soon to be released Hankook RS-3? I'm leaning towards the Z1's since they're already proven to be good but maybe one of the others will be better?
Is the hankook available yet? The AD08 isn't.

The problem with the NT05 is that it doesn't come in a good size. The there's no 245 17 and the 245/40/18 is probably too tall for the evo's gearing.

The safe bet right now is the z1. On the other hand, I have two sets of RE-11s sitting right here and will be running bridgestone the rest of the season probably. YMMV

d
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

We've tested the Dunlop. We'll have AD07, AD08, and Kumhos on cars and plan on doing datalogging over the next month or two. We'll share it here when we've got the info.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Data logs of the dunlop vs. kumho, heads up, have been up for a month over at sccaforums.

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/m...-2009-2-1/Evo/

d
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by donour
Data logs of the dunlop vs. kumho, heads up, have been up for a month over at sccaforums.

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/maxqdata/tire-testing-2009-2-1/Evo/

d
More data never hurt anything. You guys tested in 50 degree weather based on your files? We've seen drastic changes in ST tires from 50 degrees to 105 degrees in Texas in August. We've hosed down Bridgestones and never watered down Yoks and sometimes watered Dunlops. They are all different.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hancheyb
More data never hurt anything. You guys tested in 50 degree weather based on your files? We've seen drastic changes in ST tires from 50 degrees to 105 degrees in Texas in August. We've hosed down Bridgestones and never watered down Yoks and sometimes watered Dunlops. They are all different.
Of course. I just noticed I hadn't made it known and wanted to.

d
Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody ran the NT05's yet? Thinking of pulling the trigger on some since they are cheap.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Anybody ran the NT05's yet? Thinking of pulling the trigger on some since they are cheap.
What size? Refer to post #203?

d
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ohlins DFVs in one word: spectacular!

I got them installed, aligned and corner balanced yesterday, which took from 10AM-7:30PM but it was worth it. -3F, -1.5R camber with 0 toe all around.

Today, I ran an event and they gobbled up the slaloms like I've never felt before. The 8k front and 10k rear springs are a good match for my RE-01R tires. The ride is also incredibly docile on the street. I expected a night and day change in ride quality and harshness on the street, but if I didn't know I switched from Tanabe springs to Ohlins coilovers, I wouldn't have been able to tell you from driving along down the highway. I can't feel a change driving down the street whatsoever, but I think I had the 2nd fastest time all day so they're definitely superb.

I've definitely determined that I don't need to do power mods. I forgot how fast my car was all winter while I was just casually strolling to and from work. The weak link in the car (besides the driver ) is definitely the Hawk HPS brake pads. I thought they would be decent for autoX, but they weren't really up to the task. I just got Motul 600 and stainless steel lines put in yesterday, so I'm set otherwise. With a Lime Rock event coming up in 2 weeks, I may look into HP+ or Ferodorodorodoro DS2500s. Any suggestions? I'd prefer not having to swap pads as this is my first track event, so I'm no track *****. I autocross 2-3 times a month and it's my daily driver. I'll probably just eat these up before I get something new, though.

Sway bars are a maybe at this point. I need more time to feel this setup out.

I may be doing a full event tomorrow at the same place. That would make 3 straight days of waking up early and driving over an hour to the other side of the state. We'll see how badly my body wants to sleep in on at least one day on this 3 day weekend...

Last edited by delongedoug; Mar 21, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion