Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Ohlins DFVs in one word: spectacular!
Agreed. I put mine on two weekends ago. I haven't had the time to do a proper alignment, but just driving back from my buddy's house to install them, they felt great. I'm running 9k/11k springs, and I can say that the ride quality is definitely as good, if not better than stock on the softer settings - except the car doesn't roll as much.

The real test will come once the car is ready to race: I need to fix the ride height (guesstimated it and ended up with the with rear tires tucked under the fender and the nose sky-high ), fix the endlinks (spherical endlinks = PITA), mount the RE-11s, align it, and I'll be ready to go for this season.

Concerning pads: Look into Hawk DTC-30s. I have these on my car, and they are probably as much pad as the car can deal with on street tires. They work brilliantly for autocross, and probably track days, too - haven't been able to do one on them yet. Daily driving will get a little noisy and dusty but you'll get used to it after a while.

I do know from experience, however, that HP+ suck for track days. And that was on a 2700lb 240SX with 300ZX TT brakes. I can only imagine they are worse on an Evo.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I was trying to decipher the tire reviews. But I do notice one thing: the tire pressures at 40+ seam very high.

my car 06 GSR 245/40/17 oem rims, GTworks springs, whiteline rear sb(medium), 2.6/1/8 FT, 1.5/0/rr

Personally I found that the reducing pressures down to 32-25lbs was best handling combination in my car. I used an infrared gage to measure temps across the tire surface and to get the most even temps these pressures seam to be the best.

I also noticed that on warmer days it was absolutely necessary to spray the tires after the second run.

The tires sweet spot seams to be around 140 degrees. More than that and the felt like greese.

So tell me i am out and left field. Because I am always willing to try new things.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
Agreed. I put mine on two weekends ago. I haven't had the time to do a proper alignment, but just driving back from my buddy's house to install them, they felt great. I'm running 9k/11k springs, and I can say that the ride quality is definitely as good, if not better than stock on the softer settings - except the car doesn't roll as much.

The real test will come once the car is ready to race: I need to fix the ride height (guesstimated it and ended up with the with rear tires tucked under the fender and the nose sky-high ), fix the endlinks (spherical endlinks = PITA), mount the RE-11s, align it, and I'll be ready to go for this season.

Concerning pads: Look into Hawk DTC-30s. I have these on my car, and they are probably as much pad as the car can deal with on street tires. They work brilliantly for autocross, and probably track days, too - haven't been able to do one on them yet. Daily driving will get a little noisy and dusty but you'll get used to it after a while.

I do know from experience, however, that HP+ suck for track days. And that was on a 2700lb 240SX with 300ZX TT brakes. I can only imagine they are worse on an Evo.
Curious to hear more about the RE-11's....I went with NT05's but 255/40 which won't work for STU...oh well.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like a good battle out in San Diego this weekend. Any bridgestone drivers want to comment on the tires? Dunlop is still on top.

d
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donour
It looks like a good battle out in San Diego this weekend. Any bridgestone drivers want to comment on the tires? Dunlop is still on top.

d
Is there something screwy with the results? I see a lot of people running "N/A" tires, but no one running Bridgestones except for a couple people in ST/STS.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone have the Mitsu specs on minimum brake rotor thickness before they need to be replaced?? Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Does anyone have the Mitsu specs on minimum brake rotor thickness before they need to be replaced?? Thanks!
From the 2003 shop manual:

"Take care not to contact the parts or tools to the caliper
because the paint of caliper will be scratched. And if there
is brake fluid on the caliper, wipe out quickly.
1. Using a micrometer, measure disc thickness at eight
positions, approximately 45 degrees apart and 10 mm (0.39
inch) in from the outer edge of the disc.
Standard value:
<Front> 32.0 mm (1.26 inch)
<Rear> 22.0 mm (0.87 inch)
Minimum limit:
<Front> 29.8 mm (1.17 inch)
<Rear> 20.4 mm (0.80 inch)
NOTE: Thickness variation (at least 8 positions) should not
be more than 0.015 mm (0.0006 inch). "

d
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question - if one were running highly worn stock rotors and they measured in at less than the Mitsu minimums - would that be "illegal"?

How about with aftermarket rotors? If they are within Mitsu specs when new they are legal. If they get worn to under Mitsu specs do they then become illegal?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Question - if one were running highly worn stock rotors and they measured in at less than the Mitsu minimums - would that be "illegal"?

How about with aftermarket rotors? If they are within Mitsu specs when new they are legal. If they get worn to under Mitsu specs do they then become illegal?
As I'm reading the rules today, yes.

d
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ohlins DFVs in one word: spectacular!
No doubt

I may look into HP+ or Ferodorodorodoro DS2500s. Any suggestions? I'd prefer not having to swap pads as this is my first track event, so I'm no track *****. I autocross 2-3 times a month and it's my daily driver. I'll probably just eat these up before I get something new, though.
If you are looking for dual duty track pads, then definately consider the Ferodo DS2500s. As anyone who has used these pads will say, by far the best street, auto-x and track day pads for the EVO. I've had other street pads literally crumble on the track. It has a higher thermal capacity than the Hawk HPS and HP+ and can easily last multiple track days.

PS: If you're interested I'll probably be selling some front and rear Ferodo DS 2500s and RotorPro slotted rotors soon. Definately for a cheaper price than any vendors ... anyone interested PM me ...
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully not too OT but since alot of you guys seem to run DFV's where is the best place to order a set? I have seen a couple places offer them for around ~$2600 but can't remember what place it was.

Last edited by dbsears; Mar 22, 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donour

d
It was a battle, I was happy to move up to 3rd today.

Top 7 were on Dunlops in STU.

Congrats to Pro Solo champ Max Hayter for winning the event today, and to Clint Childs who clearly has the speed in Caffineslug's RS.

Donour, Wiggy says "hi".

Rick
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Top 7 were on Dunlops in STU.
I'm surprised. I wonder if most people are running their carrryover 2008 setups or have tested RE11s and passed. I'm committed to bridgestone for at least houston and farmington.

Good driving rick!

d
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
If you are looking for dual duty track pads, then definately consider the Ferodo DS2500s. As anyone who has used these pads will say, by far the best street, auto-x and track day pads for the EVO. I've had other street pads literally crumble on the track. It has a higher thermal capacity than the Hawk HPS and HP+ and can easily last multiple track days.

PS: If you're interested I'll probably be selling some front and rear Ferodo DS 2500s and RotorPro slotted rotors soon. Definately for a cheaper price than any vendors ... anyone interested PM me ...
It's my first track day, so I doubt I'll be going crazy hard, but brake pads always seem to be the #1 concern on the track. I know they were the weak point at this weekend's autoX events. PM sent.

Originally Posted by dbsears
Hopefully not too OT but since alot of you guys seem to run DFV's where is the best place to order a set? I have seen a couple places offer them for around ~$2600 but can't remember what place it was.
That's pretty damn cheap. Rallysportdirect has them for $3,200 currently, which is pretty much the going rate everywhere I've seen. I snagged mine from RCE/GTWorx at the end of their Xmas sale for $2,750. I would have bought something else if they weren't on sale for such a good price.

Properly set up, these were absolutely the best purchase I've made for the Evo. I ran two events this weekend and I'm killing a lot of the STU competition and even eeking out times a few tenths faster than some really top notch drivers that I wouldn't have dreamed of competing with last year. A good set of tires and some quality instruction on Saturday helped as well. I'm really looking forward to this season.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I know they were the weak point at this weekend's autoX events.

Really? Mark Daddio handily won SM in 2007 on stock pads. The Berry's BSP car also runs stock pads as I recall.

I run ferrodos because they are way cheaper and are better for lapping days.

d

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion