Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a great time in my first tour with the Evo. The car felt wonderful on Saturday. On Sunday I think we softened it up a bit too much on the early runs, so it never felt close to right until the last run for each of us. Clint coned away the win, and an initial review of the data shows that I was just driving poorly that day.

It was a good time though, nice to meet Rick, Tom, and some of the other guys. Looking forward to my STX ride in El Toro next week!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour

Really? Mark Daddio handily won SM in 2007 on stock pads. The Berry's BSP car also runs stock pads as I recall.

I run ferrodos because they are way cheaper and are better for lapping days.

d
He was running a 90s Neon yesterday. Lucky bastard also got to drive the ZR1 that showed up.

Maybe it's my driving style then, but the ABS was kicking in pretty quickly. I'll work on maybe being smoother, but maybe not. I was really, really pleased with my times. But out of handling, grip, power and stopping, I felt the stopping was the weakest of the 4. Add driving in there and I was probably the real weak link.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Hopefully not too OT but since alot of you guys seem to run DFV's where is the best place to order a set? I have seen a couple places offer them for around ~$2600 but can't remember what place it was.
I got mine used for a little over $2000. You may want to check with those places you mentioned to make sure the $2600 is correct - I know they used to be around $2500, then there was a price increase a year or so ago and now they're hard to find under $3000 unless they're on sale.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Maybe it's my driving style then, but the ABS was kicking in pretty quickly.
Ah. Many fastest national evos don't have ABS. I wish I did.

d
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caffeine Slug
I had a great time in my first tour with the Evo. The car felt wonderful on Saturday. On Sunday I think we softened it up a bit too much on the early runs, so it never felt close to right until the last run for each of us. Clint coned away the win, and an initial review of the data shows that I was just driving poorly that day.

It was a good time though, nice to meet Rick, Tom, and some of the other guys. Looking forward to my STX ride in El Toro next week!
Good meeting you guys too. It was fun as the lead would change after every run.

What type of data files do you use, DL1?

See you in a few days.

Rick
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
What type of data files do you use, DL1?
Yes, we just started using it last month.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

He was running a 90s Neon yesterday. Lucky bastard also got to drive the ZR1 that showed up.

Maybe it's my driving style then, but the ABS was kicking in pretty quickly. I'll work on maybe being smoother, but maybe not. I was really, really pleased with my times. But out of handling, grip, power and stopping, I felt the stopping was the weakest of the 4. Add driving in there and I was probably the real weak link.
With your setup (lots of camber, street tires and probably only a main spring in front) braking will never be a strong suit. Add in the temps and lot condition in stratford and stopping will suck. ABS or none. You're basically skipping over bumps constantly in that lot and grip levels are pretty low to begin with.

Glad to see you made a good choice going with a nice set of dampers and spending more $$ than the other way around.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Top 7 were on Dunlops in STU.
Yea, I agree that this is still probably a lot carryover setups from 2008. The the RE11 just hit the market and AD08 isn't even out yet (Official release April 30th). We are supposed to have our AD08s by the Houston Tour in 2 weeks and our new 18x10/AD07 NASA TTA setup is due this week. Excited! Most of the Texas STX/STU folks are still running last years tires but almost everyone I've talked to is lining up to get (or have just purchased) Kumho XS, Bridgestone RE11 or Yokohama AD08s. I am fairly certain that as soon as GRM's recent tire test data is released (June issue?) you'll see a lot of people changing tires...

Originally Posted by donour
Really? Mark Daddio handily won SM in 2007 on stock pads. The Berry's BSP car also runs stock pads as I recall. I run ferrodos because they are way cheaper and are better for lapping days.
The stock EVO brake pads "should" be able handle autocross speeds, and probably a lot of people win on them, but some folks like a more aggressive, higher coef of friction "race" pad even for autocross use. Mark Berry's FP car is also 2300 pounds, which I suspect helps braking considerably.

We've noted small but measurable differences in braking with better pads on a number of cars at autocross speeds. On the track the differences are HUGE. We just switched the EVO X from stock pads to Hawk DTC-70 race pads and these were able to pull consistent (datalog'd) 1.15 g under braking on track. The DTC-70 is the newest/nastiest/loudest race pad compound from Hawk and they stopped like a champ lap after lap after lap with this heavy pig of a car. Are they "needed" for autocrossing? Well, I brake pretty aggressively and like having them, especially on this car (it needs better brakes - period). Cleaning the wheels is a b!tch after using these pads, of course.

Originally Posted by dbsears
Hopefully not too OT but since alot of you guys seem to run DFV's where is the best place to order a set? I have seen a couple places offer them for around ~$2600 but can't remember what place it was.
Aren't these DFV's single adjustables?

That's pretty damn cheap. Rallysportdirect has them for $3,200 currently, which is pretty much the going rate everywhere I've seen. I snagged mine from RCE/GTWorx at the end of their Xmas sale for $2,750. I would have bought something else if they weren't on sale for such a good price.
Remember: our single adjustable inverted AST 5100s are priced $2499/set for all EVOs, every day. We're going to be stocking these very soon for EVO 8-9-X.

AST 5100s have no remote reservoir/hose but can be upgraded to 5200 or 5300 spec easily.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fair
The stock EVO brake pads "should" be able handle autocross speeds, and probably a lot of people win on them, but some folks like a more aggressive, higher coef of friction "race" pad even for autocross use. Mark Berry's FP car is also 2300 pounds, which I suspect helps braking considerably.
Terry

You make a good point that "good enough" is not the same as best. However, I was talking about TOM Berry's BSP car, the one with the last 3 BSP wins. The reason I bring this up, is I had lengthy conversation with Tom (a few weeks ago) about braking; the combination of 245 width street tires, big springs, and no ABS. Unless the surface is really grippy, I have a pretty big problem with lockup at initially application.

Now, Tom was very skeptical that it was the car and not my foot until he drove it himself. To my surprise he suggested getting a pad with significantly less initial bite because it would allow easier modulation for short brake applications.

Another point I was trying to make is that BSP and SM cars have significantly higher braking requirements than STU. Their grip level is much higher. With all the extra power, they have considerably higher straight speeds. Although their corner speeds are higher, they still have more to scrub off before turn in.

This is in complete opposition to open lapping or racing. On road courses, I certainly had to change to a better pad. Even at our relatively short (1.7 mile) and slow (100-110mph) local track I overheated the stock pads and boiled the OE fluid.

donour

Last edited by donour; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
With your setup (lots of camber, street tires and probably only a main spring in front) braking will never be a strong suit. Add in the temps and lot condition in stratford and stopping will suck. ABS or none. You're basically skipping over bumps constantly in that lot and grip levels are pretty low to begin with.

Glad to see you made a good choice going with a nice set of dampers and spending more $$ than the other way around.
Good to know. Thanks.

I think Jeff Guerrera (yellow Evo) said you were his instructor a year or two ago, maybe at Devens. He was mine this year, so your wisdom's trickling down.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

STU legal?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Nope. Sorry. . .

12.11 TRACTION/STABILITY CONTROL
A system that adjusts engine power, braking force, or torque distribution
when wheelspin, understeer, or oversteer is detected or predicted.
Conventional limited slip differentials (e.g. viscous, passive
clutch, helical/worm gear, locker) are explicitly excluded, but “active”
differentials and their controllers are included.

14.10.B
Original equipment traction control systems may be electrically
disabled, but not removed or altered in any other way.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Haha, I see you addressed the same question on the BSP thread. Guess John and I were excited about the same thing

I'm trying to build a car that's legal for STU and also NASA TTB. Would be nice when someone writes software for the average joe to reflash the ACD controller.

Last edited by Loser; Mar 29, 2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Loser
Haha, I see you addressed the same question on the BSP thread. Guess John and I were excited about the same thing

I'm trying to build a car that's legal for STU and also NASA TTB. Would be nice when someone writes software for the average joe to reflash the ACD controller.
You could probably buy the pre-flashed ACD ECU from them at full price for TTB use, and just swap back to the stock unit for STU.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spool_sample
You could probably buy the pre-flashed ACD ECU from them at full price for TTB use, and just swap back to the stock unit for STU.
Yeah. I'm thinking of ordering a reflashed unit when I have an autox AND a track day lined up so I can compare them back-to-back on both applications. I'll make sure to do a detailed writeup if that happens.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion