Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caffeine Slug
This is the first year I think my car has been prepped well enough to take it to some Tours. Definitely going to San Diego, almost definitely going to Farmington.
I was just on the phone, working out some co-drives this season with wiggy greacen, and the mentioned a white RS down in arizona. I thought that might be you. Do you have brian peters' old car?

Coming to farmington just for the tour? We're having a regional at that site a couple of weeks prior.

d
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
You adjust the tie rods with the car jacked up?
Yeah, it's a whole lot easier to turn that rod with the wheel off the ground. Actually I take the wheels _off_ to do it, because I change tires for events anyway. Remember, I live in New Mexico. It's pretty common for me to drive 200+ miles each way for a local event so use scrubs for the highway.

Or to put it another way. I have a dedicate autocross car that has racked up 60k miles driving to events.

d

Last edited by donour; Jan 2, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
I think dsycks still has his zzyzx ems for sale. Those have 8611s in them. Of course. I'm partial...

d
I forgot that those were for sale. Damnit, those are SO tempting...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
...Wheels: 17x9 FN01RCs w/ AD08s probably, unless AD07s go on clearance at Tire Rack for a good price. ...
When are those AD08's supposed to come out? I'm in need of a set of tires in a week
Old Jan 3, 2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by donour
I was just on the phone, working out some co-drives this season with wiggy greacen, and the mentioned a white RS down in arizona. I thought that might be you. Do you have brian peters' old car?

Coming to farmington just for the tour? We're having a regional at that site a couple of weeks prior.

d
Yep, it's his old car. I'm in Tucson, Farmington is still a pretty long drive.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
When are those AD08's supposed to come out? I'm in need of a set of tires in a week
They will not be out until sometime later this year, hopefully before the April 1 cut-off date for STU. Some of the Bridgestone drivers have claimed that the RE-11 will be out in time for the '09 season, and I would hope that Yokohama decides to follow suit.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

I've been tossing around the idea of Ohlins DFVs instead of the KWs
Trust me, from my experience the DFVs are in a totally different league than the KW V3s even with its single adjustable setup. Plus if you really think about it nearly all of the Solo sites out there are for the most part smooth enough to not really worry about compression, especially since the DFVs' valving is outstanding. If body roll is a concern you could always go with a stiffer setup on the DFVs' as they can handle some high rates, or just get them revalved.

As far as alignment specs, -3 degrees up front if not too excessive nor is -1.5 in the rear, as donour has already pointed out. The real tire killing is in the toe, but I daily drive my Evo with a decent amount of toe out in the front and rear with no real tire issues. My daily tire are Hankook RS2s.

I'm really looking forward to the tire war this year, although the top tires look again to be the Yoks, Z1s and the 'Stones in no particular order.

As far as power mods, a good exhaust manifold (JM Fabrications), O2 housing and exhaust plus HFC will go a long way in power and boost levels. The intake is argueable but, in a class as restrictive as ours every little bit counts. Plus get a STU specific tune (I've done a bunch already for customers ).

I plan on hitting the DC Pro and the Divisional at Devens. I'd love to make it out to Toledo or Finger Lakes but, with 3 kids its tough to travel all that far (Devens is even a stretch). As far as Nationals goes thats a pipe dream for me because of the family. Maybe though one year I'll make it out unless there is a co-drive opportunity since Lincoln is an airport I could fly in rock star style
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Caffeine Slug
Yep, it's his old car. I'm in Tucson, Farmington is still a pretty long drive.
I hear ya. I feel the same way about arizona. Although the cheap gas makes it tempting.

offtopic: As the only evo driver in our region I get to spend the off-season getting beat up on. Observe...

Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

That's awesome nonetheless.

And hey, at least your off season consists of you on the track. Ours is spent indoors on EvoM and buying parts online while playing in a snowy parking lot every now and then.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hey now, speak for yourself .... we spend out time in the indoor karting tracks in the area. Plus our winter series starts up on the 18th!!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Assuming my job situation is okay come next season, I'm in. Although, I guess that goes for most of us.

I won't have a fully-prepped car for the '09 season, but I'll be focusing on the basic suspension parts and running a few Tour/Pro events. Toledo Pro for sure (basically down the street for me), maybe Peru depending how busy my 4th of July is. Maybe DC Pro or Finger Lakes tour (if it goes through).

What should be done by season start:

Suspension: KW Clubsport coilovers, 8k/11k springs; Whiteline rear bar; Whiteline trailing arm bushings.

Alignment: -3 to -3.5 camber F / -1 to -1.5 camber R / 0 toe all around.

Wheels: 17x9 FN01RCs w/ AD08s probably, unless AD07s go on clearance at Tire Rack for a good price.

Engine: Stock.

I've been tossing around the idea of Ohlins DFVs instead of the KWs, but I'm not convinced I need to spend $3k for single-adjustables, even though the dyno graphs of the Ohlins look better than what I've seen for KW. But since I was somewhat spoiled by the Koni 8611s I had on my old 240, I'm thinking that the double-adjustable KWs would still be better simply due to their double-adjustable-ness.

Probably by mid-season I'll throw on a TBE and a tune, too, if budget allows.
The double adjustability of the KW's is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY trumped by the Ohlins DFV's better damping curves. YES, the Ohlins are that good. I've moved on to anther car for 2009 but I still don't want to see any Evom members make mistakes with dampers.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The double adjustability of the KW's is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY trumped by the Ohlins DFV's better damping curves. YES, the Ohlins are that good. I've moved on to anther car for 2009 but I still don't want to see any Evom members make mistakes with dampers.
Dave,

Since you've since moved on from the evo, why not share what info you have. Got any dyno sheets comparing these two?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Well after looking up the PAX info for 2009, looks like I'll be going STU instead of AS this year. I guess I need to start saving, though, because now there's all kinds of new toys I have to buy for the car that I couldn't have in AS. My first purchase will probably be some gram lights and star specs. At least I don't have to buy R-comps!

Here's a good link for the PAX changes from 2008 - 2009:

http://www.mrheavyfoot.com/forum/vie...hp?f=1&p=12204
Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I'm going to look into that set of ZZYZX EM Sports that are for sale, so maybe I can have my cake and eat it, too.

If that falls through, then Ohlins it is.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to look into that set of ZZYZX EM Sports that are for sale, so maybe I can have my cake and eat it, too.

If that falls through, then Ohlins it is.
Don't be dissuaded that they were setup for road course action. It doesn't cost much to replace the springs with hypercos of the desired rate and the stock koni valving is pretty good.

I don't think you could go wrong with ohlins either. The old vishnu setup (R/T) worked great and all the showcase case cars run 'em.

d

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion