Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loser
Thanks to a friend I picked up a used set of Ohlins for a very good price Spring rates are 750/550. I have a Whiteline FSB I installed for AS last year. Removing that will cost too much so I'm gonna leave it there deal with it.
If you swap the springs (550F/750R) that setup will probably work pretty well with your bigger front bar.

Now it's time to get a reflash, and I'd like to improve the airflow at least a little first. Are the downpipe and catback the obvious things to change? Remember, I'm looking for decent gains on a decent budget.
At the least. You'll want a catback, high flow cat, and downpipe -- 2.5" or bigger. Most run a 3". If budget allows a ported/coated exhaust manifold and aftermarket/coated O2 housing help as well.

I also have a friend offering me his old Helix catback exhaust for almost nothing. Anyone have comments on the performance of that?
I wouldn't worry too much. As long as it is 3" the difference between it and some other brand will be small.

You forgot the biggest mod. Get 245/40/17 tires. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Yokohama. Pick.

d
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
If you swap the springs (550F/750R) that setup will probably work pretty well with your bigger front bar.
My mistake, it is 550F/750R. Car feels pretty good, but I've been running on a set of used R888s so don't know how it'll feel on street rubber.

At the least. You'll want a catback, high flow cat, and downpipe -- 2.5" or bigger. Most run a 3". If budget allows a ported/coated exhaust manifold and aftermarket/coated O2 housing help as well.

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as it is 3" the difference between it and some other brand will be small.
Cool. Thank you very much.

You forgot the biggest mod. Get 245/40/17 tires. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Yokohama. Pick.
No doubt. Dunlops are a decent price on Tirerack these days so I'll pick up a set soon. Just don't know if I want to get a 17x9 wheel set. My current options are to use the stock Enkeis or a set of 17x8 Kosei K1TS. Just that the Koseis are being used for track with the R888s right now.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

My mistake, it is 550F/750R. Car feels pretty good, but I've been running on a set of used R888s so don't know how it'll feel on street rubber.
I don't think it will be vastly different. The street tires will probably fall off faster, but the last couple iterations of STU tires are very good.

No doubt. Dunlops are a decent price on Tirerack these days so I'll pick up a set soon. Just don't know if I want to get a 17x9 wheel set. My current options are to use the stock Enkeis or a set of 17x8 Kosei K1TS. Just that the Koseis are being used for track with the R888s right now.
I purposefully left that one out because it is of dubious importance. If you want to buy some wide wheels go for it. It probably won't hurt. I have 8.5" and 9" wheels with mounted race tires at basically every event and I almost always run the 8.5" ones. There are very fast drivers on 8" wheels. I think nationals was won in 2007 on the 7.5" OEM STi BBS.

d
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donour
I purposefully left that one out because it is of dubious importance. If you want to buy some wide wheels go for it. It probably won't hurt. I have 8.5" and 9" wheels with mounted race tires at basically every event and I almost always run the 8.5" ones. There are very fast drivers on 8" wheels. I think nationals was won in 2007 on the 7.5" OEM STi BBS.

d
Nice. I tend to prefer a setup with better response vs. overall grip. Last year I ran 275mm tires on 8" wheels in AS. Even though the grip was nice I preferred feel of a narrower tire that didn't flex as much. But I guess between an 8" and 9" wheel there wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

But I guess between an 8" and 9" wheel there wouldn't be that much of a difference.
It depends on who you talk to, but I don't think anybody would argue it is more important than the right tire and good suspension.

d
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:42 PM

Hi

All my peers are on here this week. Char, Doug, John, anyone else? Getting ready for stu myself, picking up my ix on friday. Warren
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just what we need, more STU competition. Can't you autoX the roach and prep the IX for rallyX?

You coming to Stratford Sunday with FCSCC or do I have to wait another week to see the new ride?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Just don't know if I want to get a 17x9 wheel set.
If price is a concern, talk to Kyle at Hot Lap Motorsports (he's a vendor on here). The silver 17x9 FN01RCs I got from him were $550 shipped. He may have an extra set or two still lying around for that price.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:40 PM

hope

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Just what we need, more STU competition. Can't you autoX the roach and prep the IX for rallyX?

You coming to Stratford Sunday with FCSCC or do I have to wait another week to see the new ride?
Hope to get the new toy to Stratford on sunday. Gonna be a long weekend. Friday drive trailer 250 miles pickup car. Drive 250 miles home. Unload car. Load Rallyx car. Drive 200 miles to NH. Sat rallyx Audi. Drive home 200 miles. Sunday unload Audi, load ix. Drive 50 miles autox drive 50 miles to home. Wake up monday and go to work to rest. Lord of the Rings
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Nice. I tend to prefer a setup with better response vs. overall grip. Last year I ran 275mm tires on 8" wheels in AS. Even though the grip was nice I preferred feel of a narrower tire that didn't flex as much. But I guess between an 8" and 9" wheel there wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Personally, if you don't have the cash for wider wheels you can get some of the benefit by running spacers and increasing front track width (not rear).
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGT-FST
Hope to get the new toy to Stratford on sunday. Gonna be a long weekend. Friday drive trailer 250 miles pickup car. Drive 250 miles home. Unload car. Load Rallyx car. Drive 200 miles to NH. Sat rallyx Audi. Drive home 200 miles. Sunday unload Audi, load ix. Drive 50 miles autox drive 50 miles to home. Wake up monday and go to work to rest. Lord of the Rings
Cripes! Understandable if you don't make it. I think I'll become a FCSCC member too and go for points since I got 2nd at the non-points event about a month ago by now.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Personally, if you don't have the cash for wider wheels you can get some of the benefit by running spacers and increasing front track width (not rear).
Good thing I have a set of spacers lying around

Met up with Dan and a few others yesterday for drinks in the city. We gotta do something again closer to you.

Warren, so what's the story with the IX? Why a trailer?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spool_sample
If price is a concern, talk to Kyle at Hot Lap Motorsports (he's a vendor on here). The silver 17x9 FN01RCs I got from him were $550 shipped. He may have an extra set or two still lying around for that price.
Sweet. I had a non-performance bad experience with FN01RCs before, but I'll look into it.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
Holycow!!! that's cheap!!! That's half the price of retail .... you sure it wasn't 2nd hand wheels, lightly damaged (scratches, etc) or something or maybe it was actually $850 shipped?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Holycow!!! that's cheap!!! That's half the price of retail .... you sure it wasn't 2nd hand wheels, lightly damaged (scratches, etc) or something or maybe it was actually $850 shipped?
They're new as far as I know - if they're not, I can't tell the difference. These are the older model that was on clearance to make room for the new "Hot Version" FNs, I think.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion