Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8dad
More bite than HP+s?
Actually I should clarify. I'm comparing them to the HPS, not the Plus.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If it rains at Nationals - watch out for Chuck McMillion in his WRX. At the Peru NT it rained on Saturday and he spanked me by about a full second. And I was on Hoosier Rains. . .
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
If it rains at Nationals - watch out for Chuck McMillion in his WRX. At the Peru NT it rained on Saturday and he spanked me by about a full second. And I was on Hoosier Rains. . .
Well I'm sure you've heard the talk about some of the "street tires" being faster than hoosier wets.

We all know their basically r-compounds now anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Well I'm sure you've heard the talk about some of the "street tires" being faster than hoosier wets.

I have not. I know Andy won ESP in '05 in the rain on the stock Advans vs. some guys on big old Hoosier wets, but I have not heard of anyone doing a back to back test in the rain of Hoosier vs. Star Spec or whatever the hot new STU tire is. . .
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Doh! I don't feel too bad being .1 off of Chuck at Toledo a few weeks ago then. It didn't rain and we still got outrawed by STS, but still.

Speaking of which, nicely done that weekend. It was funny seeing your car just about pick up both inside wheels going through the last roundabout. It's definitely something else to see that car in motion and not just in pictures.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to come over and introduce myself.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I can continue to use 1-2 sets a season, I hope they do become the new r-compounds.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Huh, when did this happen? Could it just be the compound and tread pattern on the street tires are better designed for wet conditions?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Jarrod,

At Topeka last year, the STi was about 2 sec faster in the rain vs dry compared to my Evo.

Rick
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hey all. Just wanted to drop a note to say that this weekend I will be doing my first ever SCCA divisional Solo2 event. It will be at the Texas Motor Speedway bus lot. More details here http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/ An exciting 2 full days of competition!

As of now, there are 10 entrants in the STU class (3 Evos, 2 STIs, 1 M3, and 1 Mustang GT) which is a change from the usual 3 or 4 in the local events. So I'm figuring this should give me some sort of gauge on my car and skill.

My supporting mods include intake and full exhaust, tune, wheels with Star Specs and Swift springs. Stock sways, struts and strut mounts. So, I know the cars handling still leaves something to be desired namely in the form of more front camber and sways. It's a works in progress. Otherwise, the car feels pretty good. It still pushes in the turns but it feels a lot more stable and responsive with the new springs.

Also, I've owned this car for about 18 months and only have a real serious season and a half of experience. That said, I'm not expecting too much but I think I'll do alright. My target is to place in the top 70% but I will be very thrilled if I can place in the top half all things considered. I'll totally crap my pants if I make the top 3. I say this because I know the caliber of the drivers and cars in the Texas region SCCA.

That's really all I have to say. Wish me luck and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Jul 7, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spool_sample
Doh! I don't feel too bad being .1 off of Chuck at Toledo a few weeks ago then. It didn't rain and we still got outrawed by STS, but still.

Speaking of which, nicely done that weekend. It was funny seeing your car just about pick up both inside wheels going through the last roundabout. It's definitely something else to see that car in motion and not just in pictures.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to come over and introduce myself.
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Hey Jarrod,

At Topeka last year, the STi was about 2 sec faster in the rain vs dry compared to my Evo.

Rick
At Toledo a couple weeks ago he was 4 seconds behind me, and 5 seconds behind Andy - but was over a second faster in the rain this past weekend. That's a 6 second swing! Pretty crazy. Goes to show - horsepower is irrelevent when it gets wet . . .
Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Hey all. Just wanted to drop a note to say that this weekend I will be doing my first ever SCCA divisional Solo2 event. It will be at the Texas Motor Speedway bus lot. More details here http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/ An exciting 2 full days of competition!

As of now, there are 10 entrants in the STU class (3 Evos, 2 STIs, 1 M3, and 1 Mustang GT) which is a change from the usual 3 or 4 in the local events. So I'm figuring this should give me some sort of gauge on my car and skill.....
Yep, this should be the best gauge of STU competitiveness in Texas so far this year. There are fast STU drivers from all over the state showing up to race, and we've even got a hot shoe flying in to drive our car, too (I'm running our BMW in XP this weekend).

Glad you entered the Divisional. See you there!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fair
There are fast STU drivers from all over the state showing up to race, and we've even got a hot shoe flying in to drive our car, too (I'm running our BMW in XP this weekend).

Glad you entered the Divisional. See you there!
Thanks! I'm glad I registered too as long as nothing blows up. Then I won't be so glad. It should be a good learning experience but also a lot of fun. Also looking forward to seeing that super bad LS1 BMW.

I know there are a lot of good drivers in STU. Several of them right here in our own town. I think my best strategy for this weekend is to hope that the competition hits lots of cones

But seriously, I think the Vorshlag Evo is taking the top STU spot (or 2nd place at worst case) followed by an STI or two. I don't even mind if the M3 beats me but I'll be darned if I'm going to be beat by a Mustang GT! Hahaha.

Are there any high-performance parts you want to loan me for the weekend to entice me to buy? Hmmm? Ehh, I had to try.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful... the green f body that normally runs STU/NSTU was doing really well this weekend with it's new suspension! STU is getting fierce here in Dallas!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:02 PM

Go CHUCK! Way to represent the Indy region! That guy loves to drive in the rain.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:09 PM

I need to get some Dunlops.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion