Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody tried the Kuhmo XS tires?

I heard good things, but also heard they don't work well cold.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you guys are going to Nationals this year. I might make it out in my 1er to run in DS. No suspension bits on the the car yet and no r-comps so I'll be prepping to the last minute. (if I can make it).
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still on the fence, really depends on how much my game improves in the next few events. Since it's literally in my back yard this year I'll probably go and get my @$$ handed to me by all the awesome drivers that show up. As long as I'm not DFL, I'll be fine I guess
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

My Local Club has heated up alot. As DaWorst can tell you. For instance this weekend I paxed 8th out of 110 cars or so. 8th is a pretty good show but lost to first by 1.9 seconds and came in 4th at .8 seconds off on a 50 second course.

The GLSS was here last week and sundays number 2 beat chuck mcmillen by about a .1. So its definitely not a soft class.

I am the only car not on coil overs in my class. But that margin is pretty major. I really think i had car position working right. I didnt make any obvious mistakes like going in to deep or getting behind. 4 of my 5 runs were withing .1 of each other so I must be doing the same thing wrong each time!!!

I have been racing a long time (heck I won the season last year against non co cars) But I just dont have an answer for why I am getting crushed. I cant imagine that coilovers are going to knock 2 seconds off my time. Guess i need to find the out what I am doing wrong now

Can some of the champs let me in on anything special they have done to pickup speed. I know that at least 2 drivers are left foot breaking. I know that at least one of the brake boost, all 3 of these are sti's the courses we have been on have included a lot of 180's and that the subi's are going to get a killer launch off of them. But I am hitting the rev limiter in second so I should be gainng a bit back in not having to shift to 3rd.

I dont know it seams like a mountain to make up that much time and it seams like another mountain of cash to level the playing field.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
My Local Club has heated up alot. As DaWorst can tell you. For instance this weekend I paxed 8th out of 110 cars or so. 8th is a pretty good show but lost to first by 1.9 seconds and came in 4th at .8 seconds off on a 50 second course.

The GLSS was here last week and sundays number 2 beat chuck mcmillen by about a .1. So its definitely not a soft class.

I am the only car not on coil overs in my class. But that margin is pretty major. I really think i had car position working right. I didnt make any obvious mistakes like going in to deep or getting behind. 4 of my 5 runs were withing .1 of each other so I must be doing the same thing wrong each time!!!

I have been racing a long time (heck I won the season last year against non co cars) But I just dont have an answer for why I am getting crushed. I cant imagine that coilovers are going to knock 2 seconds off my time. Guess i need to find the out what I am doing wrong now

Can some of the champs let me in on anything special they have done to pickup speed. I know that at least 2 drivers are left foot breaking. I know that at least one of the brake boost, all 3 of these are sti's the courses we have been on have included a lot of 180's and that the subi's are going to get a killer launch off of them. But I am hitting the rev limiter in second so I should be gainng a bit back in not having to shift to 3rd.

I dont know it seams like a mountain to make up that much time and it seams like another mountain of cash to level the playing field.
Have someone good drive your car to see how much time is left in it.

Rick
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Have someone good drive your car to see how much time is left in it.

Rick
I agree with this 100%.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I did they were .5 faster but I think i could have closed that but because i am not used to 2 drivers it messed with my noodle :P

Their car broke on the first run....
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mac
How many of you guys are going to Nationals this year. I might make it out in my 1er to run in DS. No suspension bits on the the car yet and no r-comps so I'll be prepping to the last minute. (if I can make it).
I thought you were codriving w/ Paul this year - is he not going?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did they were .5 faster but I think i could have closed that but because i am not used to 2 drivers it messed with my noodle :P

Their car broke on the first run....
You should do some national events to get an accurate gauge of where you stand. Better yet would be to attend an Evo school, where the instructors can help you identify any driving issues. Cory R. is an Evo School instructor than races in STU.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

In the grand scheme of things, 2 seconds seems like a lot more time than it really is. The next time you're running around town, clock out how much ground you cover at 45 to 50 mph. It's not a lot, maybe 8 or 10 car lengths if you're looking at distance. As you go further along you'll pick up time as you start to learn what your car can and can't do, how to drive the tires at their limit, how you should drive particular features and the mods you make to the car. Are coilovers worth 2 seconds....well....by themselves probably not but they will allow you to adjust the car to get it setup to where you're comfortable while making the most of what grip ST tires offer. Will you pick up time left foot breaking? I don't have answer to that as I used to do it but don't anymore as I tended to shock and over drive the front tires. All of the little things add up to a lot of time.

My best advice is seat time! Attend as many schools and events as you and your car can stomach.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
Cy

Originally Posted by Cy
Reviving this thread from the dead to update Corey's record to 4 wins -- 2 Tours & 2 Pros!

Nice job!
5 wins for Corey now that he won the Toledo Pro.

With Corey blocking Jake from a win in Toledo, if Corey, Max or Vitek win the Finale, they win the ProSolo Championship. Hopefully the Evo will win!

Of course, if one of those three doesn't win, a number of other people could possibly have a shot. For example, if no one else shows up but me, I could be da champ!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cy
5 wins for Corey now that he won the Toledo Pro.
So I guess they let STU out of impound finally?

Congrats to Corey and Cy on the 1-2 Evo finish. Nice to talk with the east coast STU guys, too - I've got a ways to go to catch up. And I'll have to remember next year to not show up at the end of the practice sessions and only get two practice launches in - doh.

Overall, a positive first Pro Solo experience for me, stock shocks/springs aside. I think Corey told me his wife has pictures of my car scraping the front lip on the ground from the INSANE rear wheel in-lift I was getting.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Lol Andrew I have pictures like that too! front bar helped fix that a lot btw Not as much as a wonderfully flat CO car, but cuts it maybe to 1/2. I thought about putting a caster on my splitter it would get so close
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:46 PM

Has anyone done any testing between 18 inch and 17 inch wheels for STU? The 17's have more tire options and less diameter. But has anyone actually tested any times?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:59 AM

At the early registration cutoff..

STU is the 3rd largest class with 48 followed behind SS(61), and AS(57)!!

21 Mitsubishi's
22 Subaru's
5 BMW's

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion