Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDeutsch
Anybody tried the Kuhmo XS tires?

I heard good things, but also heard they don't work well cold.
I can only offer some insight from an ST Honda perspective. Lateral grip is very good....numbers coming up a little better than the Toyo's on most, but not all, situations. They suffer in longitudinal grip. On a light 2WD car, I gave up 4 to 6 tenths at the line just on launch. Braking also suffered, causing a significant change in driving style. Yes they like heat. (While all the Bridgestone drivers were busy emptying their water bottles, we were looking for blankets!)

We're back to testing the Hankooks again in Licoln next weekend. Personally.....and I am not a contract driver....I would recommend the RS3's to anyone, and in particular, I think they would do very well on an Evo.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was put in SM because i had carbon fiber body panels (hood/trunk), but i took those off. My remaining mods are ACT HDSS clutch, Streetlite Flywheel, Spark Tech COP, K&N drop in, HKS Carbon Ti catback, Buddy Club Racing spec coilovers, 255/40/17 Nitto NT05's. there are a couple other things, but those are the only ones that would likely matter. should i be in STU?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, no. The tires definitely keep you out (245 max for STU), and probably the flywheel and COP...I think.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Washburn
I can only offer some insight from an ST Honda perspective. Lateral grip is very good....numbers coming up a little better than the Toyo's on most, but not all, situations. They suffer in longitudinal grip. On a light 2WD car, I gave up 4 to 6 tenths at the line just on launch. Braking also suffered, causing a significant change in driving style. Yes they like heat. (While all the Bridgestone drivers were busy emptying their water bottles, we were looking for blankets!)

We're back to testing the Hankooks again in Licoln next weekend. Personally.....and I am not a contract driver....I would recommend the RS3's to anyone, and in particular, I think they would do very well on an Evo.
Hey Patrick,

You should enter the Civic in STX and win the jacket.

Rick
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
I ACT HDSS clutch, Streetlite Flywheel, Spark Tech COP, 255/40/17 Nitto NT05's
All big no-no's for STU. A MBC or EBC is also illegal.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
I was put in SM . . . should i be in STU?
Sounds like BSP is the proper place for that car. You're welcome in SM and XP also
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

so i should be in BSP or SM? is it possible to be legal for more than one class? if so, how do you decide where to run?

also, BSP is B Street Prepared, or B Stock Prepared?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
b street prepared. Why have two threads running?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
b street prepared. Why have two threads running?
because different people answered different threads. i wanted all the help i could get lol oh, and i made the thread before i saw this one.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
delongedoug: Sucks to hear your car is under going expensive surgery but I'm sure it's going to be worth it if you are planning to keep her for a long time. Are you rebuilding the TC and rear diff as well? Good luck and keep us posted ...

What Hi-flow CATs are you guys using successfully? I know there is the following ones, Random tech, Perrin, Mil Spec and the one from one of our member (R. Jung) .... any preferences?
I put the Mil.Spec HFC on a week and a half ago and it threw a P0420 cat inefficiency last night. YMMV, but it doesn't look to be 100% STU legal. I'm out of STU now, but figured I'd report my findings.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck to everyone heading to Lincoln this weekend and next week. I think the Subarus are in for it this year.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
I put the Mil.Spec HFC on a week and a half ago and it threw a P0420 cat inefficiency last night. YMMV, but it doesn't look to be 100% STU legal. I'm out of STU now, but figured I'd report my findings.
I would think that as long as you have a cat on there you're legal, a good tuner should be able to adjust for that so you don't get a code anymore. I've heard of many HFC's throwing codes, it doesn't mean that the cat isn't working its just not as effective as the stock one and as long as you've got one in there you should be within the rules.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sscottttt
I would think that as long as you have a cat on there you're legal, a good tuner should be able to adjust for that so you don't get a code anymore. I've heard of many HFC's throwing codes, it doesn't mean that the cat isn't working its just not as effective as the stock one and as long as you've got one in there you should be within the rules.
If you were around 2 years ago, you'd know the check engine light is the real issue. Don't want to bring that one up from the dead though.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
Good luck to everyone heading to Lincoln this weekend and next week. I think the Subarus are in for it this year.
Goodluck to everyone going to NATs this year. I know me and my co-driver will be bottom of the pack vs all these awesome drivers showing up . I'm just looking for an opportunity to meet a few of the folks from this forum .

BTW the Subies have a phenominal driver, John Hunter, from our Neb region driving on their side. IMHO, he has the potential to win it all, the guy is just consistantly fast. As much as I would love to see an EVO win NATs, with John on their side, I dunno it may be tough for the EVOs again.

Here's to hoping

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion