Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
Don't be dissuaded that they were setup for road course action. It doesn't cost much to replace the springs with hypercos of the desired rate and the stock koni valving is pretty good.
Between myself and my roommate, we have a handful of Eibachs with different rates I can play around with. Hell, I even have a spare pair of 8611s to replace the rear 8610s. I'm not sure if they're the same model/length that the ZZYZX use, though (mine are 1257s).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

It's my personal opinion that you don't need to break the bank on shocks to win nationals in STU. However, you do need something that is adjustable and that is serviceable. The reason I say that is the fundamental problem (or equalizer) in our class is tires. The 245 width really limits the benefit of a lot of mods that are available to us. None of the national winning cars have been fully prepped so I think that's something to think about when you're sitting around surfing the internet trying to figure what you're going to buy to get your car ready for the upcoming autoX season.

For my car, this offseason I spent a lot of time disassembling my entire suspension lubing bushings, cleaning off under coating from various arms and adding some more poly bushings in the engine bay and rear diff area. It was time consuming and a royal pain in the rear but I'm glad I did it. Next up is to add a R. Jung HFC special, get my JIC's back from Muellerized and wait to see how the new crop of tires do. I'll let someone else do the testing but I already have a feeling that I'll be trying to pull together enough change to buy a set of AD08's before September.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russjnco
get my JIC's back from Muellerized and wait to see how the new crop of tires do. I'll let someone else do the testing but I already have a feeling that I'll be trying to pull together enough change to buy a set of AD08's before September.
Hm. I was just about to send you an email and ask if you'd be interested in coming down to NM this spring for some testing. I don't think there will be an internet consensus by the houston or farmington tours.

d
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm taking the plunge and ordering a set of Ohlins DFWs. Pretty big purchase for someone who claimed their car was "done" last spring. Pretty big purchase period. I'll just have to justify it with tons of events this year.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donour
Hm. I was just about to send you an email and ask if you'd be interested in coming down to NM this spring for some testing. I don't think there will be an internet consensus by the houston or farmington tours.

d

Yeah, it's going to be awhile before I'm on track. Optimistic would be that I'm ready for a February winter event but realistically I have a list of 15 things to do to get autoX ready.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by russjnco
It's my personal opinion that you don't need to break the bank on shocks to win nationals in STU.

I already have a feeling that I'll be trying to pull together enough change to buy a set of AD08's before September.
Yeah but, the shocks need to be properly valved for the particular spring rate that is being used or at least within reason to those rates. The STi that won was on RaceComp KW V3s, which are still mid to high $2k. I know most of the top runners this year were on Ohlins, which range from $3k to $5k (DFVs or Flags). Even the Zzzyxs are $3k or so. I guess it just depends on your interpetation of breaking the bank

If the Z1s or 'Stones are just as close to the ADO8s as they were to the ADO7s and the price still stays close to where they were last year, it'll be hard to justify the huge price difference to the ADO8s. I was plenty happy with the Z1s last year and am considering picking up another set except they offer no contingencies
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
YI know most of the top runners this year were on Ohlins, which range from $3k to $5k (DFVs or Flags).
Well russnco got #5th on his JIC FLTA2s. I think his point is valid about still being able to win on inferior equipment. However, the field keeps getting faster and faster...

EDIT: and did you notice that the RE01R has gone about $200? I wonder if the RE11 will launch at the same price.

d
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:35 PM

hi there guys.. dont really have anything to add to the discussion.. just wanted to introduce myself as a semi-novice autocrosser (i did 4 events last year).. and let it be known that i'm really looking foward to this year and also i welcome any and all advice
cheers fellas

justin
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but removing the trunk liner is illegal in STU, correct? I guess I'm curious how you guys adjust your rear coilovers. It's easy enough to remove the liner each time, but I just wanted to confirm the legality.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have extensions on my rear coilover adjusters.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

You make me curious to check the rules again, but I cut small holes in my trunk liner to be able to get to the adjustment knobs. Nobody has complained about it yet...

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Correct me if I'm wrong, but removing the trunk liner is illegal in STU, correct? I guess I'm curious how you guys adjust your rear coilovers. It's easy enough to remove the liner each time, but I just wanted to confirm the legality.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spool4fun
you make me curious to check the rules again, but i cut small holes in my trunk liner to be able to get to the adjustment knobs. Nobody has complained about it yet...
+1
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
You make me curious to check the rules again, but I cut small holes in my trunk liner to be able to get to the adjustment knobs. Nobody has complained about it yet...
Well just to be safe we should swap suspensions and you wont have to worry about adjusting those cheapo Ohlins...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have large holes in my trunk liner for my fuel can attachment bar....err....strut bar per this portion of the rules:

14.2.G. Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left suspension mounting point. No other configuration is permitted. Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting holes.
Without the strut bar, there's really nothing in the rules that allows for it except for this:

14.8.C. The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified. Any type of bearing or bushing may be used in the adjustable camber plate attachment to the strut. The installation may incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting block (bearing mount). Any ride height change resulting from installation of camber plates is allowed. Caster changes resulting from the use of camber plates are permitted.
I would argue that drilling a big hole in the trunk liner was needed to install the coilovers properly. With that said, while I can't imagine that someone would protest you for having holes cut in your trunk liner.....there's a reason why STS guys have the pieces cut from their liners on the civics duct taped to make a little flap. Hopefully STU never transforms into STS........
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I was going through the rules last night and saw that in 14.2.G as well. I guess I'll cut holes rather than remove the lining altogether just to stay as close to the rules as possible even though I run with pretty easy going groups. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion