Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chris. See you @ Lincoln next year.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silencer
Congrats to Thomas and Rick for a 1-2 finish in Rick's Bilstien/Dunlop equipped 03' Evo. Also, congrats to the rest of the trophy winners!

Dave
Woo - Hoo!!!

Hell of a week, still tired. Great seeing everyone out there, and meeting some new drivers here too.

We had the oldest Evo out there, actually prob the oldest Evo racing in the country. But a lot of hard work over the years paid off. Prob the oldest drivers too!

Some of you know we were down on power on Thursday with misfire. Thanks to Dounor for the plug info. Thanks also to my friend Russ for the oil. Also great seeing Dave (Silencer) out there, even though he's in ESP, he knew way more about the emissions testing than I did. Car passed with flying colors.

Although we had the typical mistakes, we drove well, threw a hail-mary on Friday that was clean. Jake could have had it too, been there before, podium finish none the less - congrats.

I wish I could have have more time to catch up with everyone, but just flew in the day before, making it hectic. Did see Evolutionary, Daworst player, Cdeutsch, Geoff, caffine slug, and a lot of other EvoM guys out there.

Congrats to my friend and co-driver Tom. Mmmm, I think I'll be thinking about what I could've done to be 0.023 sec faster!

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Sep 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:18 PM

Congratulations to all the EvoM members who brought home trophies from Nationals!

As someone who's looking to build an STU car for next year, can anyone clarify the emissions/catalytic converter issue for me? As I understand it, any HFC that throws a CEL is illegal. Is there a list of known, legal HFC's anywhere?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:19 PM

Wow! I had an amazing first nationals experience! Thanks to Chris for all the expertise and help with the logistics at Nats this yr. Couldn't have asked for a more knowledgable and helpful co-driver!

Can't wait to do it again next yr!!! Time to upgrade from the megan streets tho I think :-) They got the job done, but theres room to improve for sure with a more stable suspension to help make the car more predictable.

Jake, didn't realize u were in the same boat as myself with the suspension! Nice driving man and it was good to meet u.

Thanks all,
Brandon Ranvek 188 STU
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
YAY!!! EVOs take Nationals!!!

Congrats to Rick and his co-driver, Corey R. and Geoff. You guys did awesome!!! And best of all, me and my co-driver (Ookami) didn't come DFL!

It was awesome meeting all you guys Rick (SS RX7 R2), Russ (russconj), Geoff (autoxevo), Corey (coreyr), Chris (CDeutsch), Cy (Cy), Wiggy, Donour (donour), etc ... nice to put a name with a face. All I gotta say is, wow you guys can drive, I need to know the secret to your super mad tyte skills!

If there is anything I learnt from Nationals, its this, driver makes the biggest difference. Tires, suspension and power don't mean squat if you can't drive ....

PS: Did you guys know there was a lady driving in STU and she cleaned house too, trophied. Annie Bauer, I believe and she could've taken STUL easily.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Sep 14, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats to everyone for representing the Evos at Nationals! I've been following these STU threads for a while but haven't had much to contribute. This is more motivation for me to get my act together and get out beyond the local events.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toothy07
Wow! I had an amazing first nationals experience! Thanks to Chris for all the expertise and help with the logistics at Nats this yr. Couldn't have asked for a more knowledgable and helpful co-driver!

Can't wait to do it again next yr!!! Time to upgrade from the megan streets tho I think :-) They got the job done, but theres room to improve for sure with a more stable suspension to help make the car more predictable.

Jake, didn't realize u were in the same boat as myself with the suspension! Nice driving man and it was good to meet u.

Thanks all,
Brandon Ranvek 188 STU
Thanks Brandon! You drove well yourself. Good Job.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boost247
As I understand it, any HFC that throws a CEL is illegal. Is there a list of known, legal HFC's anywhere?
My stock cat threw a CEL after a few track days, I replaced it and had the same issue again. As someone mentioned above, it's the CEL that's the problem and not the cat That being said, I don't know if the workaround for the CEL is STU legal.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Loser
My stock cat threw a CEL after a few track days, I replaced it and had the same issue again. As someone mentioned above, it's the CEL that's the problem and not the cat That being said, I don't know if the workaround for the CEL is STU legal.
I've read 14.10 several times, and it's clear to me that any method of "working around" a CEL is illegal. So, I can't disable the CEL entirely. But, 14.10 also says that any HFC is legal. So, if I'm running a HFC, throw a CEL, and clear the CEL but don't disable it, is that legal?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

No. Your HFC throws a CEL and is therefore illegal.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 108 Likes on 53 Posts
Well, if you throw a CEL, and clear it, and then the car works itself back into a ready state without throwing another CEL, it's legal until it throws another one, IMHO...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Well under that logic my OEM cat would've been illegal because it threw P0420. If the same model of HFC doesn't throw a CEL on one car and does on another, then what?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know. These rules are completely ridiculous. Stock cats throwing P0420s, checking boost tables on maps. Out of hand.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delongedoug
I agree. Not legal if the CEL is on during competition. Will your competitors care? Maybe. Will the SCCA check? Yeah, they did this year.

Well under that logic my OEM cat would've been illegal because it threw P0420. If the same model of HFC doesn't throw a CEL on one car and does on another, then what?
Yeah, nobody said it was logical. It's just the rules.

I've found the same thing as others. You can have almost identical setups on two cars and one will throw a CEL and the other won't. It's a stupid rule, but it's still a rule.

They actually did a test on the top 6 cars in STU and STX at nationals this year. I think all the STU cars passed. Not sure what happened with that BMW in STX. Anybody hear? Wish they would put that much effort (or any effort for that matter) into policing boost (or just do what every other rules body has done and give up and make it unlimited).

The test was they hooked up an OBD logger, ran your car to watch the O2s cycle, then put propane in your intake which freaks the O2 out and causes the car to run rich. They then made sure your O2 readings changed like they should. The propane wasn't enough to throw a CEL. They said it takes a long time for that to happen. So really, it only tested that you have at least one working O2. Didn't really check for disabled CELs or rear O2 simulators that use the front O2 as a reference.

Last edited by CDeutsch; Sep 16, 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
come to BSP.

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion