Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDeutsch
If you're an SCCA member You can always write a let to the seb@scca.com if you want changes, but the ship may have sailed on this one unfortunately (at least for now).

If you write one, I would focus on getting rid of the emission rule for ??? reason(s), etc.
I am an SCCA member, and I have no interest in seeing the ruleset changed: I think emissions legality is well within the intended spirit of the class. I'm just trying to build a legal car. I think it's safe to say that my CEL should not be on (and should not be disabled) during competition/tech/impound. However, anything that happens while I'm not competing is not covered by the rules. True?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boost247
I am an SCCA member, and I have no interest in seeing the ruleset changed: I think emissions legality is well within the intended spirit of the class. I'm just trying to build a legal car. I think it's safe to say that my CEL should not be on (and should not be disabled) during competition/tech/impound. However, anything that happens while I'm not competing is not covered by the rules. True?
No. You can change the cat, but you otherwise have to be emissions compliant. Resetting the ECU isn't enough. You have to wait until all the sensors get to the ready state (like you would to pass an epa plug-in test). This takes a while (50+ miles). Because you don't drive 50 miles in tech+grid+course, you're emissions equipment won't flip over to ready and you won't be in accordance with the spirit or letter of the rules.

d

EDIT: At this point questions should probably go to STAC.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by donour
No. You can change the cat, but you otherwise have to be emissions compliant. Resetting the ECU isn't enough. You have to wait until all the sensors get to the ready state (like you would to pass an epa plug-in test). This takes a while (50+ miles). Because you don't drive 50 miles in tech+grid+course, you're emissions equipment won't flip over to ready and you won't be in accordance with the spirit or letter of the rules.

d

EDIT: At this point questions should probably go to STAC.
Good Info. Thanks. We don't have emissions testing in MI, so this is new to me. I did assume in my previous post that the car would be emissions compliant in all ways (including ready state of sensors) while in grid/in tech/on course/in impound/etc.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wing Rule Take Back

There is a major movement headed by our friend Hollis in ST, to take back the rule on allowing aftermarket wings.

I know some don't use them here, but I don't like ST imposing rule take-backs on STU!

We need a few letters ASAP to head off the take-back of aftermarket wings. Write to seb@scca.com and they will be routed to the STAC for consideration.

Things to cite:

- No Rule take back, plus Rules creep issues:
Rule has already been changed once to measure chord width instead of "as seen from above".
5 sq. feet has been established, with no complaints, to limit significant function at solo speeds.

- Good for participation:
Newbs like wings, draws them into the sport.

- Right for STU/X
STU cars come stock with big wings.
Wings are one of the major characteristics of STU class cars, and STX WRXs.

- ST class intent of common mods done on street cars:
Any Tuner/import mag, has wings on our type of cars.

I will write mine today, if you run out of time use mine when I post it.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Sep 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More rule changes coming to STU? Bummer ...

So guys, let's talk about the Nationals courses and how you did. What you thought was challenging and where you think you lost time and what you could've done better ...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Letter sent......it's a situation where intent contradicts allowance and in this case I think the intent is wrong.

I could spend hours talking about what I did wrong at nationals. I counted up 5 errors on the west course alone where you can painfully see where I'm hemorraghing time. Thank god the bump on the entry to the slow slalom on the east course shut off my camera on the final two runs so I don't have to endure the agony of watching that video this offseason!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
There is a major movement headed by our friend Hollis in ST, to take back the rule on allowing aftermarket wings.

I know some don't use them here, but I don't like ST imposing rule take-backs on STU!

We need a few letters ASAP to head off the take-back of aftermarket wings. Write to seb@scca.com and they will be routed to the STAC for consideration.

Things to cite:

- No Rule take back, plus Rules creep issues:
Rule has already been changed once to measure chord width instead of "as seen from above".
5 sq. feet has been established, with no complaints, to limit significant function at solo speeds.

- Good for participation:
Newbs like wings, draws them into the sport.

- Right for STU/X
STU cars come stock with big wings.

- ST class intent of common mods done on street cars:
Any Tuner/import mag, has wings on our type of cars.

I will write mine today, if you run out of time use mine when I post it.

Thanks,

Rick
Hey you guys can't take that rule away. I'm waiting for it to come to SP like the brakes and camber arms did.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by russjnco
Letter sent......it's a situation where intent contradicts allowance and in this case I think the intent is wrong.

I could spend hours talking about what I did wrong at nationals. I counted up 5 errors on the west course alone where you can painfully see where I'm hemorraghing time. Thank god the bump on the entry to the slow slalom on the east course shut off my camera on the final two runs so I don't have to endure the agony of watching that video this offseason!
I'm also glad that my MaxQ decided to die on me just after my first run on Thursday. I can't imagine the agony staring at that thing for the next several months.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

There is a major movement headed by our friend Hollis in ST, to take back the rule on allowing aftermarket wings. (etc)
Definitely going to write something. Not only for the reasons you stated, but because there are other parts of the ST rules that are in much more need of being clarified/fixed, like the boost and emissions issues that everyone has spent the last 5 pages discussing.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Can someone post up a scan of the course maps from this year? I don't have a scanner. . .
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Here you go Jarrod.....
Attached Thumbnails 2009 STU Discussion-east.jpg   2009 STU Discussion-west.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
Hey you guys can't take that rule away. I'm waiting for it to come to SP like the brakes and camber arms did.
Write a letter that as an SP competitor that you like wings in ST!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 108 Likes on 53 Posts

Of the WRXs at Nationals I don't think any of them had a spoiler other than the OE one and most of them were wingless.

The top 10 spots in STX were filled with cars that either had OE wings or no wings... Derek in 11th was the first one with a spoiler that would be taken back.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

The top 10 spots in STX were filled with cars that either had OE wings or no wings... Derek in 11th was the first one with a spoiler that would be taken back.
True, I only saw Derek's car.

Thanks to those that have written in, but I have heard we need more letters to counter the Civic and Miata anti-wing proposal for ALL of ST classes:

A letter just stating that you "like rule 14.2F as is" would help. The SEB may not put much weight in form letters, but below is a letter template someone else wrote, that can be pasted into an email to the SEB.

Thanks,

Rick

SEB/STAC,
I am writing in favor of leaving 14.2F as-is for the following reasons:

-No Rule take back: this rule is well established and many people have spent lots of time and money to be fully legal in regards to this rule.
-No Rules creep: This rule has already been changed once to measure chord width instead of "as seen from above".
-The Rule is clear, measurable, and adequate: The 5 sq. feet has been established and is clearly to meet the intent statement to limit significant function at solo speeds.
-Good for participation: The "import" crowd like wings, and it draws them into the sport because they see similar cars to what they own.
-Right for ST cars: Many ST cars come stock with big wings (Evo, STi,...).
-ST's intent of common mods done on street cars: Any Tuner/import mag has wings on our type of cars.

Thank you,

John Doe
SCCA member # XXXXXX

Send to seb@scca.com, and they will be routed to the STAC for consideration.

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Sep 21, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess there's only one issue left for 2009. Why doesn't rick have evom guru status?

d

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion