Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Perphaps because being a Guru might have more to do with mechnical, electronic and aerodynamic prowess as opposed to possessing PHENOMINAL driving skills. Truely awesome driving man! Way to represent 03 EVO8s and EVOs in general!

Anyways, my letter has been sent to the SEB, since I don't think it is fair to handicap cars that didn't originally come with wings. I would however love to see the contradictory rules on HFC and emissions legal somehow be solved.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Anyways, my letter has been sent to the SEB, since I don't think it is fair to handicap cars that didn't originally come with wings.
If you're arguing no wing = handicap you'd also be arguing that they matter at solo speeds
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
If you're arguing no wing = handicap you'd also be arguing that they matter at solo speeds
But they don't, so nothing to argue about.

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I'm fighting for their right to carry extra weight on the back (like the rest of us)

@ Silencer
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donour
I guess there's only one issue left for 2009. Why doesn't rick have evom guru status?

d
Because I'm not worthy! As you know, I didn't even wash the car or have fresh plugs for nats.

Actually Daworst, my driving skill is mediocre, I'm better at car set-up.

Rick

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Actually Daworst, my driving skill is mediocre, I'm better at car set-up.

Rick
Did I mention he's very humble and modest ....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Bumping the 2009 thread back to life...

I've been considering going from the DFVs to some AST 5100/5200s for next year. I wanted to switch spring rates for next year and between a future rebuild/revalve upcoming, it was worth looking into something different.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has experience with both coilovers.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
There is a major movement headed by our friend Hollis in ST, to take back the rule on allowing aftermarket wings.

I know some don't use them here, but I don't like ST imposing rule take-backs on STU!

We need a few letters ASAP to head off the take-back of aftermarket wings. Write to seb@scca.com and they will be routed to the STAC for consideration.

Things to cite:

- No Rule take back, plus Rules creep issues:
Rule has already been changed once to measure chord width instead of "as seen from above".
5 sq. feet has been established, with no complaints, to limit significant function at solo speeds.

- Good for participation:
Newbs like wings, draws them into the sport.

- Right for STU/X
STU cars come stock with big wings.
Wings are one of the major characteristics of STU class cars, and STX WRXs.

- ST class intent of common mods done on street cars:
Any Tuner/import mag, has wings on our type of cars.

I will write mine today, if you run out of time use mine when I post it.

Thanks,

Rick
Sent mine late, but sent none the less:

"I am IN FAVOR of wing allowance modifications to ST cars. This rule should not me removed. It is a common appearance modification for regular enthusiasts. I say THE LESS STRICT on the issue of wings, THE BETTER. The spirit of the class has allowed it to grow into the biggest non-stock class at nationals. Please don't kill it with additional restrictions that are as silly as appear mods!"
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
Sent mine late, but sent none the less:

"I am IN FAVOR of wing allowance modifications to ST cars. This rule should not me removed. It is a common appearance modification for regular enthusiasts. I say THE LESS STRICT on the issue of wings, THE BETTER. The spirit of the class has allowed it to grow into the biggest non-stock class at nationals. Please don't kill it with additional restrictions that are as silly as appear mods!"
Spirit of the class my *****. You're just trying to avoid having to put that park bench of a ricer wing back on your car
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
Bumping the 2009 thread back to life...

I've been considering going from the DFVs to some AST 5100/5200s for next year. I wanted to switch spring rates for next year and between a future rebuild/revalve upcoming, it was worth looking into something different.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has experience with both coilovers.
I'd contact Craig Wilcox if you want an opinion on Evo 8/9 with AST 5200s. He almost won BSP in his first year with the car. Lost by 0.070s to multi-time BSP champion, Tom Berry. He actually beat Tom the first day by a few thousandths, and I think he had some cones Day 2.

Vorshlag had the "overweight-heavy-lover" Evo X MR on 5200s in STU, but no shock was going to overcome 3700 pounds on 245s.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Loser
Spirit of the class my *****. You're just trying to avoid having to put that park bench of a ricer wing back on your car
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hancheyb
I'd contact Craig Wilcox if you want an opinion on Evo 8/9 with AST 5200s. He almost won BSP in his first year with the car. Lost by 0.070s to multi-time BSP champion, Tom Berry. He actually beat Tom the first day by a few thousandths, and I think he had some cones Day 2.

Vorshlag had the "overweight-heavy-lover" Evo X MR on 5200s in STU, but no shock was going to overcome 3700 pounds on 245s.
Thanks... any idea of his screen name? I'll post something in the BSP thread and see if I can find him.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
Sounds like we won this battle. I believe they may keep some sort of wing provision as well as discussing possible allowance for wing deletion?

STAC probably will be drawing up revisions to the rule soon. One thing we may want to fight for is front spoilers. This way the Evo guys with the SE lip, BMWs with factory-like splitter lips and STis with V-spec lips can keep them.

Rick

Hey, BTW nice paragraph in SportsCar about your performance. Most of the time no one knows about fast raw times.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:53 PM

is anyone planning on trying out the ahnkook ventus evo12 tires? supposed to be an over wide 245?