Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
EDIT2: Do we really want to spend this thread deriving the damping curve from first principles?
We run STU and it's the off-season - what else is there to talk about?

*gets out notebook*
Old Jan 9, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
After 15-16 90 second + runs in one day at MW my Star Specs sounded like Jeep tires all the way home. They were nice and pock marked up Here's a video from the next day (2 day event): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23YcO0JHyPU
Awesome footage. Man, I really wish we had lots and courses like that up here! I love the data on the footage too.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by spool_sample
We run STU and it's the off-season - what else is there to talk about?

*gets out notebook*
No kidding! Is it time to race yet?

I played around a little last season in STU, and was really impressed with both the handling ability of the stock car and the tires. This year I'm going to try to be a bit more competitive. I've been shopping around for coilovers and am still boggled by choices (and the dent they'll put in mah wallet!). At this point I'm looking at the KW V3 Clubsports. I'm thinking 9F/10R for rates - is that too wussy? My last semi-prepped car (STS RSX) ran buddy clubs that were something like 10F/14R, and it was rather harsh. I'm not sure how much of that is lots of spring and how much is the damping on cheap coilovers.

I still have plenty of stock tire left, but once those are up I'll be moving to the direzzas.

Bench racing rocks!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

only because i don't wanna read all 300 pages of the scca rule book...what engine mods throw you out of the class? I want to compete this year but i don't wanna be in a class where i wont be competitive.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
crap... wrong thread lol. (deleted my initial response)

In your mod, the cams, test pipe, walbro, LICP and MBC all put you out of STU. The cams put you in SM, but everything else is good for BSP.

Last edited by goofygrin; Jan 11, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

The only significant engine mods you can have in STU:

TBE
High-flow cat
O2 housing
Exhaust manifold
Air filter
ECU reflash at stock boost (only boost changes allowed are those that come from one of the above mods)

I believe fuel is free as long as it's unleaded... I know there are people who have been using 100 octane, and I'm pretty sure E85 would be legal... not sure what kind of gains you would see at stock boost, if any.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only significant engine mods you can have in STU:

TBE
High-flow cat
O2 housing
Exhaust manifold
Air filter
ECU reflash at stock boost (only boost changes allowed are those that come from one of the above mods)

I believe fuel is free as long as it's unleaded... I know there are people who have been using 100 octane, and I'm pretty sure E85 would be legal... not sure what kind of gains you would see at stock boost, if any.
+
Downpipe
Underdrive pulley?
Air intake up to the turbo inlet.

Fuel needs to have a Federal tax to be ST legal.

Rick
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably could pick up some power on E85 will a bunch of additional timing. However, you can't do anything to the fuel system. You have to run the OE fuel pump and injectors. I imagine you would end up fuel limited.

d
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by burt_reynolds
No kidding! Is it time to race yet?

I played around a little last season in STU, and was really impressed with both the handling ability of the stock car and the tires. This year I'm going to try to be a bit more competitive. I've been shopping around for coilovers and am still boggled by choices (and the dent they'll put in mah wallet!). At this point I'm looking at the KW V3 Clubsports. I'm thinking 9F/10R for rates - is that too wussy? My last semi-prepped car (STS RSX) ran buddy clubs that were something like 10F/14R, and it was rather harsh. I'm not sure how much of that is lots of spring and how much is the damping on cheap coilovers.

I still have plenty of stock tire left, but once those are up I'll be moving to the direzzas.

Bench racing rocks!
I hear ya... I'm also Jonsing to get out and run an event, badly. The Houston area folks never stop but up here in Dallas we don't have an event in December or January, and it sucks. We've been getting our EVO X more STU prepped and its time to test out the new setup.

AST 4200 rears and custom lightweight/race exhaust (16 pounds). We can swap on a muffler at the V-band clamp

As for spring rates... 9-10K (500-575#/in) is not too low, especially for a dual purpose street/autocross car, but you'll still likely need some sizable swaybars to control the roll with rates in that range. Something closer to the 12-14K (700-800#/in) rates will likely be more STU competitive but street ride will suffer, even with better quality monotubes.

At least get double adjustables with rates that high, to be able to get rid of some of the harshness on the street. We put 450 front, 550 rears on our EVO X and it rides better than stock, but that's not hard to accomplish with good dampers. We've got to turn up the rates a bit (probably +100 #/in) and get some bigger bars to keep the bodyroll down on the heavy X.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fair
We put 450 front, 550 rears on our EVO X and it rides better than stock, but that's not hard to accomplish with good dampers.
Hey we agree on something!

d
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Fair,

I've got 14kg (and likely not AST quality) and they are a touch rough on the street, but on the track and at high speeds they shine. (I'm still on stock sways, not sold if I need/can benefit from an upgrade just yet).

You definitely will need sways with 9/10s on the X.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fair
I hear ya... I'm also Jonsing to get out and run an event, badly. The Houston area folks never stop but up here in Dallas we don't have an event in December or January, and it sucks. We've been getting our EVO X more STU prepped and its time to test out the new setup.
Dang - our last event was in october, and the first won't be until late march. Kentucky weather sucks.

As for springs - thanks everyone for the input. It sounds like I should go with more spring. I was hoping to avoid bigger sways, as my personal feeling is it's better to control roll with rates. Our surfaces are usually nice and smooth, and it seems, to me, that I'd get better grip with more spring and stock bars. If I'm way off base, feel free to tell me I'm being stupid .

I've been looking around for something like ground control coilover sleeves and aftermarket dampers, but all I really see people discuss are fancy/blingy coilover kits. I'd really like to find something like a Koni 8610/8611 that I could run. The zzyzx EM sports looked like exactly what I wanted, but it looks like zzyzx is all gone now - alas. Anyone got some pointers?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

How fast does your wallet allow?

Coilover sleeves suck, so I'm not sure why *anyone* would ever run that crap vs. a japanese coilover.

I run Stance GR+Pro SSD coilovers and they are fine, but I don't know any better. People with more champaign tastes will point you to a KW/Robispec or AST (Fair/hancheyb for sure ) or JIC.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:25 PM

Coilover sleeves suck, so I'm not sure why *anyone* would ever run that crap vs. a japanese coilover.
Really? I thought the gc units were very well made. I also thought the koni dampers (especially the 8611) were well regarded for the price? Of course I'm coming from the honda world where things are done on a whole other budget.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

I run Stance GR+Pro SSD coilovers and they are fine, but I don't know any better. People with more champaign tastes will point you to a KW/Robispec or AST (Fair/hancheyb for sure ) or JIC.
Why, exactly, do coilover sleeves suck? There's nothing wrong with a good GC setup. They aren't perfect, but they are versatile, rugged, and do the job just fine. If you have some decent fabrication skills, you can build a hell of a setup with some 86xx inserts and GC sleeves, like what I had on my old car:

They're fairly crude, but damned if they didn't work better than 85-90% of the garbage that's out there for 240SXes for much less money. Before anyone asks, no, I didn't make these housings, and no, the guy who made them won't make them for Evos.

It's the GC eBay knockoffs that scare me...

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion