Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hancheyb
. . .

In sports car/road racing applications you rarely see speeds over 5 inches per second so you want to see those higher forces at the slower speeds. Most turns generate under 2 inches per second. So those Ohlins generate almost no force in a turn when fully opened (purple and blue traces) and a good amount in the upper settings. The first 3 clicks provide almost no damping force at these piston speeds.

I'm working on a white paper on this mainly around sub $1000 kits and how their 40 click adjustments do almost nothing along with why they brag about having seperate ride height and pre load adjusters. We were able to dyno some kits this week and we shot some video and documented all of it. It was a learning experience for sure.

. . .
This is exactly what several people have found with many low-mid priced coilvers from Japan/China/Taiwan. JIC I know for sure. First 10 clicks - no change. Middle few clicks sweep the whole range of adjustment. Last 10 clicks - nothing. . .

I would REALLY like to read the results of your research.

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jan 22, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fair
Now they are worried that they are losing control of the one thing that's supposed to make the Street Touring classes attractive - low tire costs-per-run.
I think they have already lost control of this.

Depending on the car, the cost of competitive tires is getting very close to being a wash between ST and any other class (shaved street tires vs. race tires), and I can only see the future models as being more and more expensive. This is compounded by the fact that it's pretty much impossible to police tread depth, so there's nothing stopping anyone with enough money to shave a set of street tires down to 1/32nd, use them for one or two events, and then pitch them and buy new ones.

It sucks, but that's the way it goes. ST is one of the cheapest classes to prep for otherwise (Civic, CRX, Miata) and because of that, it's very easy to get into and be competitive in. And because it IS so popular and competitive, you will always have people building to rules and looking for the next new thing to give them that bit of an edge. If the rest of us want to keep up, we have to follow suit.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good points. Its also interesting to see STU cars catching and beating BSP cars on a regular basis. To me the ST tires and getting to or are as fast as already some Rs on the market now. And with the '09 tires, it really looks like the ST tires are catching up to and will surprise most Rs, obviously once the ST tires are shaved.

One tire that has caught my eye, aside from the ADO8s and the 'Stones is the new Nitto NTO5. Looking at the tread pattern the tire really looks like a R compound disguised by tread, meaning once its shaved down will reveal a R compound tire. If I had the money I'd love to get my hands on a set of ADO8s, the "Stones and the NTO5s to do some testing but, as most people I don't have that much expandable money so I'll probably just hold out to the National dates kick-off and buy wants be proven fast (most likely the AD08s, 'Stones or Z1s) but, contingency programs will also play a role in what I buy.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Its also interesting to see STU cars catching and beating BSP cars on a regular basis.
Where is that happening? I can't even imagine the top STU drivers (colin, geoff, russ, rick) catching a well driven BSP car.

If I had the money I'd love to get my hands on a set of ADO8s, the "Stones and the NTO5s to do some testing but, as most people I don't have that much expandable money
Money doesn't have much to do with it right now. Nobody is going to be able buy the AD08 or RE-11 for a while. I have a standing order for a set of each as soon as they are available stateside, but I'm not holding my breath.

d
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the local level STU cars here in Dallas are faster than the BSP cars (BSP is a weak class here). Now they aren't beating the ASP vette driven by Mr. Neff, but sometimes it's close.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by goofygrin
At the local level STU cars here in Dallas are faster than the BSP cars (BSP is a weak class here). Now they aren't beating the ASP vette driven by Mr. Neff, but sometimes it's close.
Yes, BSP is weak in Dallas. And I've seen Jim Harris who is super fast locally (and used to run BSP in an Evo) get completely clobbered by Bob Tunnell in their LTW M3. So even though he's fast, he wasn't close to a National Champ in a well prepped car.

So local ST cars beating R compound cars really doesn't mean much. You have to compare Nationals results and hope they all ran in the same dry conditions to see if the street tires are catching up, which I don't think they really are.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good points. Its also interesting to see STU cars catching and beating BSP cars on a regular basis.
What?

Never happens or gonna happen in these parts! Even index results with the same driver, BSP should be faster this year with the new PAX numbers.

Of course we blow away stripped out, big turbo, carbon fiber fendered track Evos by 3 secs, but that's not a fair comparison.

Rick
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Of course we blow away stripped out, big turbo, carbon fiber fendered track Evos by 3 secs, but that's not a fair comparison.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Teh rules! (for quick reference when viewing this thread)

http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules...Solo_Rules.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to say - I'm really looking forward to the start of the new season.

Trying to get gear'd up for March! Few more mods (see my signature), a couple of autoX lessons, and see how things go.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Its also interesting to see STU cars catching and beating BSP cars on a regular basis.
Ok so yeah I guess I should have noted on a regional basis, which in hind sight really doesn't mean much. I still think the ST tires are getting close to a R. I plan on doing some pretty extensive testing of '09 ST tires in the Philly region (link to the testing) and too also compare them with a R compound to not only find the quickest of the '09 tires but, also to truly see if the ST tires are in fact closing in on Rs.

That being said, the Nitto NT05 has really caught my eye. The damn thing looks close to their R tire, the NT01, in full tread form. Shaved that sucker may be the sleeper of '09 (much like the Z1 was in '08).

The AD08 and RE-11 are expected to be fast as will the Z1, although no additional development went into the Z1 (at least that I know of or have been able to find). The Kumho XS KU36 is also a contender as is the new Hankook RS3s.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
This is exactly what several people have found with many low-mid priced coilvers from Japan/China/Taiwan. JIC I know for sure. First 10 clicks - no change. Middle few clicks sweep the whole range of adjustment. Last 10 clicks - nothing. . .

I would REALLY like to read the results of your research.

EVOlutionary
http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/...123_zvF2u-A-LB

NOTE: We did this in one take. I know the difference in reflecting and refracting. And my math in my head is sometimes off. I didn't feel like redo'ing the whole thing for minor mistakes.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

my plan for 2009... getting my @$$ out there seeing as last year I had a sliggggght restriction (lisc.)

power - whatever I already got

handling - whatever happens to be on the car at the time (maybe stock who knows with BRUTAL no name all season tires haha)

driver mod - getting my lisc. back next month

technique - just gettin in the car, turnin the key and drivin the hell outta this thing!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

some pics of the tires I mounted up this afternoon. I'll be testing this weekend.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/permali...ad.aspx#342913

d

Quick Reply: 2009 STU Discussion