Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 BSP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. MR
What do you run for a normal event? I assume you Co drive that car so we can divide your total in half?
we use about .5 gallons per 60 sec run. we don't use any crazy gas so when the light comes on we just put 5 more gallons in it.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
My 3 gallon assumption is based on this:

For NT's and such where I run race gas I will plan (fuel strategy baby!) to run the car about 35-40 miles past where the light comes on before adding race gas. Based on the uber wonderful mileage my car seems to get this would indicate I have more than 2 gallons left. otherwise my car lives on pump gas.

Of course there is most likely some variation between sensors and linkages within the tanks and could be some production variance between the early 03's and your 06.
yeah we don't have any real scientific data on our tank size. I also am extrapolating from my daily driver fuel light and fill up quantity. It is very consistent though, we can take 1 run after the light comes on and by the end of the run we will start to miss on corner exit.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At $15 per gallon I am very conscious of any waste of the magic gas I run! I have no problem just throwing 5 gallons in the car, but whatever I don't use by end of event will be no good by next event according to VP's website. The Q16 is not like regular gas, obviously....
Old May 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. MR
At $15 per gallon I am very conscious of any waste of the magic gas I run! I have no problem just throwing 5 gallons in the car, but whatever I don't use by end of event will be no good by next event according to VP's website. The Q16 is not like regular gas, obviously....
2 gallons plus .5 per run (slightly more for a pro) and you should be pretty close.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
2 gallons plus .5 per run (slightly more for a pro) and you should be pretty close.
Awesome, I will be using that calculation for this weekend. In fact this will be a good test to see if this solves the funky AFR sputtering problem on my last runs. Since I will not have the oil cooler fan in time for this weekend it will be apples to apples from last few events where I had the issue.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
IMHO, on a stock turbo there is no need. You could get as much power out of MS109 . . . or E85. . .

The stock turbo is maxxed out before you reach the knock ceiling of MS109 or E85. I would put up $$ that you can make MORE power on E85 on a stock turbo than you can on Q16. . . due to the huge oxygen content of the E85. More oxygen in the cylinder = more power. . .

If you are worried about reliability of the E85 and don't plan on driving daily on it - look here:
http://www.rockettbrand.com/productspecs/specs.html
The "112" is their E85. About 1/2 the price of Q16. . .

EVOlutionary
Old May 30, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I ran between 5 and 6 gallons of fuel today at the Autox, that totally cured my issue of car breaking up/missing when it was hot. Even stranger was my oil temps were in check today, got to 240 but would come down pretty quick after spraying downing oil cooler. I basically just let the car idle and was hosing the oil cooler for like a minute straight. That kind of did the trick. I have an oil cooler fan en route now that I will be hooking up to cure the oil temp issue (not that 240 is really an issue).
Another note Jon Kekek Winchester came down to our Holbert Autox today. He beat me by a tenth, it was a battle. After reflecting on the day I am a little disappointed because I am on race fuel and he was on 93 pump. Oh his tires were a little tired too, so I need to step up next time I see him! Here that Jon, I am stepping it up..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
IMHO, on a stock turbo there is no need. You could get as much power out of MS109 . . . or E85. . .

The stock turbo is maxxed out before you reach the knock ceiling of MS109 or E85. I would put up $$ that you can make MORE power on E85 on a stock turbo than you can on Q16. . . due to the huge oxygen content of the E85. More oxygen in the cylinder = more power. . .

If you are worried about reliability of the E85 and don't plan on driving daily on it - look here:
http://www.rockettbrand.com/productspecs/specs.html
The "112" is their E85. About 1/2 the price of Q16. . .

EVOlutionary
Pump E85 in my area is very inconsistent according to the person doing the tuning on my car, he has had 2 separate bad experiences with fuel. I looked into Rocket Brand and from what I was told by distributor is they only ship in 55 gallon drums and charge you as if you were shipped 4 drums even if you order 1, basically a pallets worth. So that is a hassle and probably makes the Rocket Brand not as good of a $ savings. Wish there was somewhere local to pick that up, because it would be a good savings, someone needs to sell that in the Tri State Area. With that said, I can get VP no problem around here. There is also a Sunoco Race Gas dealer near here that ships in small amounts. So VP is the easiest to get by far and there is a distributor 2 minutes away from my office. It looks like I am stuck with VP. So going to MS 109 won't lose me power versus the Q16/C16? I also like the safety factor of using a fuel that exceeds my knock requirements, but don't want to spend double the money to acheive that. This car is going to put me in the poor house or get me divorced!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

well we run MS109.

Last edited by griceiv; Jun 1, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Quick question. You know the access panel for the front jacking point on the evo.

Is it considered legal for SP to run WITHOUT that panel on?

I've kind of changed how I do things on the car and prefer jacking either end instead of on the side. The way I see it removal is an alternate configuration which is allowed, since it is necessary to gain access. Kind of like trunk liner/spare/jack removal.

Anyone see it differently?

John
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Quick question. You know the access panel for the front jacking point on the evo.

Is it considered legal for SP to run WITHOUT that panel on?

I've kind of changed how I do things on the car and prefer jacking either end instead of on the side. The way I see it removal is an alternate configuration which is allowed, since it is necessary to gain access. Kind of like trunk liner/spare/jack removal.

Anyone see it differently?

John
Well considering there is no stock configuration that comes without that panel installed, I can't find any allowance to remove it.

Illegal to remove it. although admittedly we don't run that panel for local events either. and it's always a pain in the *** to find the stupid push screw things to re-attach it for the national events.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, well I've stripped out yet another eccentric on the rear suspension (it's not as bad as the other one -- yet). The alignment tech suggested that I might want to swap the arm/eccentric with an adjustable link.

First is that legal in BSP? It looks like 15. H.* talks about these as if they are legal.

Second are they even available for the Evo X? I can't remember actually seeing them anywhere.

Has anyone else gone to this setup?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
OK, well I've stripped out yet another eccentric on the rear suspension (it's not as bad as the other one -- yet). The alignment tech suggested that I might want to swap the arm/eccentric with an adjustable link.

First is that legal in BSP? It looks like 15. H.* talks about these as if they are legal.

Second are they even available for the Evo X? I can't remember actually seeing them anywhere.

Has anyone else gone to this setup?
I am quite sure they are legal now. I REALLY wanted a set. The only ones I found (but didn't look very hard) were Agency Power. Problem there was the inner bushings were spherical and violate the metal content rule.

Personally I HATE those things. I actually keep 2 spares of each bolt all the time (toe link, LCA and nuts).
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

If you are talking about the toe control arm, yep, they are available for the X. I have not seen the rear suspension of an EVO X, but I assume you are talking about something like this?

http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/unlimited...d/rearrod.html

I will let others comment on legality.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

If anyone happens to be looking for a lightweight exhaust manifold, I have an ASpec Titanium exhaust manifold I'm going to sell. It will be in the 4-sale threads soon - but I thought I'd give you guys first dibs. It weighs 5.5# - about 10# less than the stock unit. That's 10# off the very front of the car which is nice. . . pm for details.

http://www.aspecproducts.com/images.asp?theid=16163

Quick Reply: 2009 BSP Discussion