Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 BSP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
Owning an '03 8, I do not think you can get even close to 350whp with the 9.8 turbo. Not a chance, not in SP. That is why I switched over to SM.
I don't think you can either. There was a guy at GST a couple months back that only made 330whp on e85 w/ the stock 9.8 hot side AND cams...
Old May 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I don't think you can either. There was a guy at GST a couple months back that only made 330whp on e85 w/ the stock 9.8 hot side AND cams...
I have made 326whp on 100 octane gas with an EVO 10.5 sized turbo, cams, valve springs & retainers, way beyond a BSP setup.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Daddio ran 104 octane in his car, tuned for 100. He also had cams, huge front mount, turbo upgrade, 4.11 final drive, AEM EMS, etc. Tuned by AMS.

Sooo that 350-375whp number is probably about right for a IX, an 8 may see 350 whp, but with less are under the curve. But the 8 will have to be fully built (FMIC, IM, EM, etc).

I think it would be interesting on asphalt, but rough on concrete. Wasn't Collett (sp?) blazing fast in ASP last year at Nationals?

Also a note on E85, this is a very geographically dependent fuel and last I checked it's impossible to find in the northeast. Too bad for us.

John
There are two places to get E85 in the Boston area, but both of them highly inconvenient to almost everyone (the warehouse district of Chelsea, and Logan airport).

The other thing that deters me from E85 is the changes you have to make to your fuel supply (including more fuel-pump capacity, bigger injectors, materials changes, etc).
Old May 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by point&shoot
There are two places to get E85 in the Boston area, but both of them highly inconvenient to almost everyone (the warehouse district of Chelsea, and Logan airport).

The other thing that deters me from E85 is the changes you have to make to your fuel supply (including more fuel-pump capacity, bigger injectors, materials changes, etc).
All the fuel system upgrades that have to be made are relatively inexpensive though. A Walbro 255lph fuel pump is only about $90 and you can get injectors for ~$300. As for material changes, everyone I know that's running e85 is still running stock fuel lines, etc.
Old May 22, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

All you need is injectors and a fuel pump. Your fuel system is already ethanol compatible. But as you said, the only inconvenience with E85 is the availability. the closest station available to me is 30 miles away, the next closest is 50 miles.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
357 hp on a mustang dyno here with a IX on e85 (bsp legal). Another IX makes 400 on same dyno with addition of a Buschur FMIC and lower IC pipe.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

All the fuel system upgrades that have to be made are relatively inexpensive though. A Walbro 255lph fuel pump is only about $90 and you can get injectors for ~$300. As for material changes, everyone I know that's running e85 is still running stock fuel lines, etc.
That's good to know, thanks. What do people recommend for injectors? I assume you just need more capacity, right? What flow rating is the minimum recommended for an Evo 8, assuming I want to take full advantage of E85 within BSP rules?
Old May 24, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

That's good to know, thanks. What do people recommend for injectors? I assume you just need more capacity, right? What flow rating is the minimum recommended for an Evo 8, assuming I want to take full advantage of E85 within BSP rules?
You need at least 1000cc injectors. Most people just run either 1000cc or 1200cc RC's.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

And the quote about BSP Evo's approaching 400whp? Does anyone else believe that?
Mike
Multiple **** members run in our region and caught wind of our latest dynapak dyno numbers. One of those **** members rode in the car on the street after we put the new engine in. apparently we should be more discreet.

Last edited by griceiv; May 24, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
Multiple **** members run in our region and caught wind of our latest dynapak dyno numbers. One of those **** members rode in the car on the street after we put the new engine in. apparently our "thank you" was just published.
Dynapak's read notoriously high though. If there are guys getting 400 (or close to it) on a DD or MD then that's crazy power.

Is the "new" engine the one you dropped in after breaking a ring land last year or did you guys go full bore and do the overbore + forged pistons route?

John
Old May 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Dynapak's read notoriously high though. If there are guys getting 400 (or close to it) on a DD or MD then that's crazy power.

Is the "new" engine the one you dropped in after breaking a ring land last year or did you guys go full bore and do the overbore + forged pistons route?

John
not close to 400 on a DD or MD.

no we had a tuning glitch and vented the block. so we did a used engine drop in.
tuning glitch
Old May 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Someone on SCCA Forums posted a link to an Evo 9 drag race build that seems to be BSP legal that made 400whp on a MD and ran a 10.88. The time seems to jive with a 400whp motor, but I don't see how you pull 400whp or a 10 sec 1/4 mile out of a stock internal motor.

http://mnsportcompacts.net/forum/sho...o-IX-Videos-up

Last edited by RJones; May 24, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Dynapak's read notoriously high though.

John
btw, are you saying that removing frictional losses of the tires and 44lbs of rotating weight per corner will change the horsepower numbers?
Old May 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Someone on SCCA Forums posted a link to an Evo 9 drag race build that seems to be BSP legal that made 400whp on a MD and ran a 10.88. The time seems to jive with a 400whp motor, but I don't see how you pull 400whp or a 10 sec 1/4 mile out of a stock internal motor.

http://mnsportcompacts.net/forum/sho...o-IX-Videos-up
The 400WHP # is real and attainable in BSP trim, at least on a Dynojet or DP. My SM car is capable of about 435whp on a Mustang Dyno, but that is with an FP Green (original, non HTA) and a mild GSC S1 cam. All other power mods are the same as most BSP cars. I also ran 10's for the first time this year at the drag strip. . .
Old May 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by griceiv
Multiple **** members run in our region and caught wind of our latest dynapak dyno numbers. One of those **** members rode in the car on the street after we put the new engine in. apparently we should be more discreet.
Lot of hard work, $$$, and great driving = rewarded by kicking out of the class.

Too bad they couldn't wait a year with Nats being on concrete to even it out for the C4s and M3s. Look how fast Simanyi's M3 was before it had a full SM build. Also the 2 drag starts on each course were prob worth a full sec advantage for the Evo over a normal start corner design.

A lot of Evo hate history in SP since day one.

Rick

Quick Reply: 2009 BSP Discussion