Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 BSP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Nice job on P1, Marshall

What kind of power is that thing putting down--seems really strong
Thanks.

roughly 350whp on a dynapak.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brian94ht
OK, yaw sensor, that makes sense.
What have you learned from it, anything?
It seems a little inconsistent, maybe it works a little better on a flatter surface/venue. I have heard (and seen in pics) that Qualcomm really has a lot of elevation changes, maybe that skews the results a little.
I tried to just watch your steering inputs and the over/under guage, and it seems if anything that the car has a little bit of turn-in understeer. I have heard that the TRE diff causes so much throttle over steer that you have to re-setup the car for a little understeer is that what Iam seeing there? Give up a little turn in to gain in the exit?
Oh yeah, quit being so vague about things (your setup). lol

On a side note, in regards to goofygrin seeing brake and throttle inputs at the same time, isnt that impossible? Its based on G's not throttle/brake sensors right? Maybe the system cant keep up with the quick transitions?
It has it's uses, but it really hasn't done anything ground breaking. Driver smoothness more then anything. It's really hard to see any quantitative data on the video, not to mention I think i might be a frame or two off on the data/video sync. Looking in the analysis software is very clear what's going on, corner entry oversteer. big oversteer if i jerk at any of the controls, which i do plenty on that run.

the throttle and brake are actual inputs from the TPS sensor and brake pedal, not G based. So yes, i'm hitting them both at the same time, sometimes.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, quit being so vague about things (your setup). lol
I see your point and I have bugged Marshall in the past. We've had conversations, but they lack specifics.

Here's the deal though. If you want to reduce weight it's simply $$ and a little research. Wanna make power, call a decent tuner and spend $$.

Want your car to handle well. And by this I really mean good turn in, decent steady state and awesome corner exits. This is where some of the "black magic" comes in for an SP car. Everyone runs a 285-30-18 A6. So what goes between the chassis and that A6 is REALLY what makes an SP evo IMHO. Spring rates, swaybars, dampers, alignment, ride heights in combination with diff's make or break the car. This is why you really don't see it spoken about in detail very much.

Secretive, maybe. But when it's you spending your $$ and nights in the garage after the kids are sleeping (and you should be too) it gets tough to just give away your work.

John
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Great post. That is better than I could ever have put it. Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Believe me guys, I understand. Iam just giving Marshall a hard time because of another thread where he told someone that 1000lb springs, "weren't even half way to BSP land". You kidding me? They arent that high, lol, are they? lol
Iam definetly not the type to follow someone else's "recipe" like others have mentioned you should do on this and many other boards. If I was, I wouldnt be so successful in an AS evo. There are always ways to step it up, IF you are spending nights in the garage or even laying awake in bed working it all out.

Besides Marshall has co-driver to protect too.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

uh. no comment?

Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1000lb springs, "weren't even half way to BSP land". You kidding me? They arent that high, lol, are they?
Why not? My rates are almost that high on little bitty street tires. I would expect BSP rates to be very close to the winning SM rates, which are above that.

d

EDIT: Although I might have misunderstood your question. 2000 lb springs are probably a little high.

Last edited by donour; Mar 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
uh. no comment?

Thats what I figured....

http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/200...9/img3011.html
Lot of body roll for a 2000lb + spring.

Good luck at the Pro this weekend.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Why not? My rates are almost that high on little bitty street tires. I would expect BSP rates to be very close to the winning SM rates, which are above that.

d

EDIT: Although I might have misunderstood your question. 2000 lb springs are probably a little high.
Really? You sure about that? What did Daddio run in 2007??
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone reprogrammed the ACD, such as from Gruppe-S or used a reprogrammed ACD ecu from Rally sport Direct ? This in lieu of LSD work in the rear or front .

If so were any changes necessary to the front bar / rear bar combo Im guessing slightly softer in the rear and harder in the front without regressing to slow speed understeer.

Was driving style change then necessary ?

Thoughts and replies appreciated

Milburn
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ACD coding of the ECU is undergoing disection now. In fact I've seen some of what has been found and it should present some good gains for those with ACD (not me unfortunately). Keep an eye out in the ECUFlash forum.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Cyber EVO ACD controller on order. It should be here any time. I plan on doing some back to back testing vs. the stock controller to see if there are any gains with the 3 maps that come pre-programmed into it. Anyone local who wants to try it out is welcome to run it for an event to see if you like it . . . but I only know of one BSP EVO from these parts with ACD . . .

Probably right as I get it the reflash capability will come out
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Really? You sure about that? What did Daddio run in 2007??
He wasn't even remotely close to 2000 lb/in.

On to the ACD subject. Is ACD reprogramming a legal LSD modification for BSP? I know on the evo at least it isn't part of a "traction control" system as we have no such nannies in our cars. Is it allowed per the rules? Gotta look into that.

Last edited by kekek; Mar 29, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

I believe an electronically controlled diff is considered part of a traction control system. There is one class where it specifically states this, but I can't remember which one. . .

Here:
12.11 TRACTION/STABILITY CONTROL
A system that adjusts engine power, braking force, or torque distribution
when wheelspin, understeer, or oversteer is detected or predicted.
Conventional limited slip differentials (e.g. viscous, passive
clutch, helical/worm gear, locker) are explicitly excluded, but “active”
differentials and their controllers are included.

15.10.D. Traction and/or stability control systems, as defined in 12.11,
must be standard parts at standard settings, or electronically
disabled.

So, nevermind, they are not allowed. If you want to play around with one come run SM with me!

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Mar 29, 2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I believe an electronically controlled diff is considered part of a traction control system. There is one class where it specifically states this, but I can't remember which one. . .

Here:
12.11 TRACTION/STABILITY CONTROL
A system that adjusts engine power, braking force, or torque distribution
when wheelspin, understeer, or oversteer is detected or predicted.
Conventional limited slip differentials (e.g. viscous, passive
clutch, helical/worm gear, locker) are explicitly excluded, but “active”
differentials and their controllers are included.

15.10.D. Traction and/or stability control systems, as defined in 12.11,
must be standard parts at standard settings, or electronically
disabled.

So, nevermind, they are not allowed. If you want to play around with one come run SM with me!
Thanks Jarrod. Tom, Marshall and the Millers don't need anymore advantages! hahahaha

Quick Reply: 2009 BSP Discussion