Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 SM Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thats what I thought. Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest change for my SM preperation this year will be a tow vehicle. Other than that, I have no big changes planned for the car.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flmjr
I did my first autocross in Anchorage when I was at Fort Richardson in about 1970.
Seems like a long time ago. I thought that the fall off in the V710's was precipitous after about 60 runs. They were serviceable but not competitive for the ext 30 to 40 runs. Time your purchase so that you are within that first 60 run window for the important events unless you can afford multiple sets.

Frank
Wow, your right. That was a long time ago. LOL Was that event with the Alaska Sports Car Club? They are still kicking around, after a two year layoff (no money) we are running the Fur Rondy Gran Prix again this year.

Back OT, I agree that the Kuhmo V710 loose quite a bit of grip after that many runs, but I agree with madmax, they seem to still have useful grip for fun events that you may not feel the need to be ultra competitive in.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Just reading through the 2009 Solo2 rule book and realized they changed the minimum weights for the class. The new calculation for turbo AWD cars is:

((liters of displacement + 1.4)x300) + 1800#

For a 2.0L EVO that works out to be 2820#.
For a 2.3L EVO that works out to be 2910#.
For a 2.5L STI that works out to be 2970#.

To put that into perspective with what some of our competition will get to run:

Civic w/ N/A B16 - 1550# after tire allowance
Civic w/ turbo K20A - 1775# after tire allowance
(The Janusz/Kugler civic weighed 1982# @ 2007 Nats.)

E36 M3 w/ M46 M3 motor - 2440#
E36 M3 w/ supercharged M46 M3 motor - 2720#
(Vic Sias' bimmer weighted 2623# @ 2007 Nats with a NA motor. He's talked about adding a supercharger this year so he'll probably have to add 100#)

OK, so they are trying to keep the AWD cars from getting any faster. That's OK. But, then they add the clause that if you run 275 width tires or lower that you get to drop another 200# from your minimum weight. That would allow an EVO on 275/40/17 tires to weigh in at 2620#.

I can tell you, without ALOT of $$$ and some custom ultralite parts that sub-2700# is not attainable for the EVO in SM trim. 2820# IS fairly easy to attain, though. Without all my aero crap on my car it would come in right around 2800# with an empty gas tank.

Unless you are going to exploit every possible allowance to take weight off the car and think you can get down close to 2700#, I say stick with the 285's and the 2820# minimum weight limit. . .

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jan 25, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

OK, so they are trying to keep the AWD cars from getting any faster. That's OK. But, then they add the clause that if you run 275 width tires or lower that you get to drop another 200# from your minimum weight. That would allow an EVO on 275/40/17 tires to weigh in at 2620#.

I can tell you, without ALOT of $$$ and some custom ultralite parts that sub-2700# is not attainable for the EVO. 2820# IS fairly easy to attain, though. Without all my aero crap on my car it would come in right around 2800# with an empty gas tank.

EVOlutionary
If possible however wouldn't you much rather take the 200lbs out and run 275s if you could cheaply/easily get the weight down low engough?

- just thinkin

Scorke
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
If possible however wouldn't you much rather take the 200lbs out and run 275s if you could cheaply/easily get the weight down low engough?

- just thinkin

Scorke
I can tell you, without ALOT of $$$ and some custom ultralite parts that sub-2700# is not attainable for the EVO.
Can not cheaply OR easily get it that low with SM mods/allowances. . .
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

It's not cheap or easy to get to 2820 much less 2620. I bet 99% of the evo's running SM are over 3000 lbs race weight.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Lightweight parts on my car:

- Ultrashield aluminum seats/Sparco bases/sliders
- Keys steering wheel (gets rid of airbag)
- custom carbon fiber hood
- ams mini-radiator kit
- PPI shaved/ported stock exhaust mani
- ASPEC titanium test pipe
- Greddy titanium cat-back
- Nisei small battery kit
- ARC intercooler (heavier than stock but lighter than most bar/plate ICs)
- Nisei aluminum IC pipes
- Girodisc brake rotors
- Devo 1-piece light driveshaft
- BR ultralite mustache bar
- Ohlins aluminum bodied shocks
- WedsSport SA-70 18x10's (heavier than stock, but lighter than many 18x10's)
- DC titanium strut tower bars
- hollow tubular sway bars

That should get you very close to 2820# IF you started with an RS. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jan 27, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Have you weighed it with an eighth tank? My RS came in at 3075 with but I don't have the seats or the driveshaft (or the hood). You really weigh 250 pounds less than that or is this a guess?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightweight parts on my car:

- Ultrashield aluminum seats/Sparco bases/sliders
- Keys steering wheel (gets rid of airbag)
- custom carbon fiber hood
- ams mini-radiator kit
- PPI shaved/ported stock exhaust mani
- ASPEC titanium test pipe
- Greddy titanium cat-back
- Nisei small battery kit
- ARC intercooler (heavier than stock but lighter than most bar/plate ICs)
- Nisei aluminum IC pipes
- Girodisc brake rotors
- Devo 1-piece light driveshaft
- BR ultralite mustache bar
- Ohlins aluminum bodied shocks
- WedsSport SA-70 18x10's (heavier than stock, but lighter than many 18x10's)
- DC titanium strut tower bars
- hollow tubular sway bars

That should get you very close to 2820# IF you started with an RS. . .
How long have you had that BR mustache bar on your car? i was thinking of getting it but im worried about the reliability of the piece.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Who makes a hollow front sway bar?

I'm pretty sure the Hotchkis rear is hollow, but mine has been in a box for a long time. H&R front is def solid.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
How long have you had that BR mustache bar on your car? i was thinking of getting it but im worried about the reliability of the piece.
About a year and a half. Shortly after Nationals we had the car up in the air and noticed that one of the 3 bolts that hold the mustache bar to the rear diff was missing and the triangle shaped mounting plate of the mustache bar was ripped in several places. I have no idea how long it was broken, but we won Nationals with it that way. I called up Buschur and they sent me a replacement immediately. From talking with them, I think that I'm the only one who has broken one, and the failure probably happened because of the bolt that had snapped. . .

I will be running it on my car again this year.

Originally Posted by kekek
Who makes a hollow front sway bar?

I'm pretty sure the Hotchkis rear is hollow, but mine has been in a box for a long time. H&R front is def solid.
Tanabe F&R are hollow.
Hotchkis rear is hollow, and red, so it matches the Tanabe
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Bringing this back up I'm running in SM this year and had some questions.

First is anyone moving their battery to the trunk area to try to get closer to 50/50 weight distribution?

I've read the rules and all 1300+ posts and I couldn't find a answer about weather the AMS mustache bar delete kit is legal or not. I'm thinking it's not because you have to take out the rubber bushings and put in solid metal ones.

Can I remove the intercooler sprayer bottle in the front of the car? I'm thinking no on this one as well.

Would this front bumper be legal? I'm concerned more about the splitter/undertray assy. Since it extends past the bottom of the front bumper, could I call it a splitter and not a undertray?
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/cox5t/voltex.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...5t/voltex1.jpg

And are the Voltex rear over fenders legal? I'm thinking yes on this one because you can cut the rear fenders all you want and you can put a fender flars on IAW 15.2A.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mrcox
Bringing this back up I'm running in SM this year and had some questions.

First is anyone moving their battery to the trunk area to try to get closer to 50/50 weight distribution?
not really. lower weight is a better option than better weight distribution. the weight you add in battery cable to get the battery in the trunk makes it not really worth it.

I've read the rules and all 1300+ posts and I couldn't find a answer about weather the AMS mustache bar delete kit is legal or not. I'm thinking it's not because you have to take out the rubber bushings and put in solid metal ones.
legal

Can I remove the intercooler sprayer bottle in the front of the car? I'm thinking no on this one as well.
legal as an update to the 06 evo's that didn't come with intercooler sprayers
Would this front bumper be legal? I'm concerned more about the splitter/undertray assy. Since it extends past the bottom of the front bumper, could I call it a splitter and not a undertray?
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/cox5t/voltex.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...5t/voltex1.jpg
legal as long as you don't have to remove crash beams

And are the Voltex rear over fenders legal? I'm thinking yes on this one because you can cut the rear fenders all you want and you can put a fender flars on IAW 15.2A.

Thanks!
legal
Old Mar 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with everything Griceiv said. I would also like to add that the splitter is not legal as it sticks out the sides farther than the bumper. The rules state that a splitter/undertray can not extend outwards farther than the bumper. . .

If you want that bumper I would run the Voltex undertray (undertray only, no splitter). I have it and it will give you some downforce but not as much as the giant road race splitter. . .

EVOlutionary

Quick Reply: 2009 SM Discussion