Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: 2009 Driver's Championship winner?
Lewis Hamilton
6.06%
Kimi Raikkonen
6.06%
Felipe Massa
10.61%
Jenson Button
57.58%
Rubens Barrichello
1.52%
Jarno Trulli
4.55%
Timo Glock
0%
Nick Heidfeld
0%
Robert Kubica
1.52%
Fernando Alonso
3.03%
Sebastien Vettel
7.58%
Someone else
1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Formula 1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
I smell a MM driver's constructor's title SWEEP!!! Rules are meant to be exploited and KERS will probably be a benefit to those who have the best/sneakiest design. Hopefully we have as many rain races as we do dry races. I'm waiting for a Vettel Hamilton showdown this year. Politics aside, this should be an awesome season!!
Oh you know they're sneaking around. MM and Sneaky go hand in hand just asK Ferrari!

J/J , I can't wait to see this new F1!
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I think the Valencia track needs to be modified or dropped off the schedule. That race was hideously boring last year. I too wish Canada was still on the schedule.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.
Oh you know they're sneaking around. MM and Sneaky go hand in hand just asK Ferrari!

J/J , I can't wait to see this new F1!
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I smell a MM driver's constructor's title SWEEP!!! Rules are meant to be exploited and KERS will probably be a benefit to those who have the best/sneakiest design. Hopefully we have as many rain races as we do dry races. I'm waiting for a Vettel Hamilton showdown this year. Politics aside, this should be an awesome season!!
Not gonna happen...
As far as Vettel vs Hamilton, that isn't going to happen either. Vettel would have been better off staying at STR. Seems like for whatever reason RB just isn't able to develop the car as well. I could be wrong... only time will tell.
All I know is I'm ready for the season to start, I'm sick of watching my taped races from last year.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grillpt
Not gonna happen...
As far as Vettel vs Hamilton, that isn't going to happen either. Vettel would have been better off staying at STR. Seems like for whatever reason RB just isn't able to develop the car as well. I could be wrong... only time will tell.
All I know is I'm ready for the season to start, I'm sick of watching my taped races from last year.

I think the move is a good one. I think the team results were screwed last year do to one of there drivers getting in a wreck in almost every race last season. Thankfully he has retired. (not a big fan )
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's going to be a money/development race this year... who can develop the new chassis faster from race to race.

Which means it's a Ferrari/McLaren race again. You may throw a BMW surprise in there, since they seem to find interesting stuff sometimes.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
It's going to be a money/development race this year... who can develop the new chassis faster from race to race.

Which means it's a Ferrari/McLaren race again. You may throw a BMW surprise in there, since they seem to find interesting stuff sometimes.
I disagree.

Almost all of the new regulations are geared toward making this a more "even playing feild". Some big ones are; 1) There is absolutely no RD allowed once the season starts. 2) The areo work, and 3) The BOOST BUTTON!

Some insight, older but none the less...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/08/2...rari-the-rest/
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I agree w/ Fireball.

The rules may shake things up a little bit back in the pack but the pecking order is still going to be the same IMO.
As far as RB is concerned, look back at some of the races in the second half of the season. The strategies that RB uses are horrible, one stoppers and such. Look back at what happened to Weber at Japan, giving up the last point at the very end. That what happens when you try to go 30 some laps on the same set of tires!!! He's lucky he wasn't hurt, those things very scary bald. Hopefully RB will give Vettel the car and the strategies he deserves so we can all continue to enjoy his success.

Finally, KERS is not even mandatory, it's going to have to provide a substantial boost in power to off-set the weight that comes with it.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this, who the hell knows...
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

STR finally confirm Bourdais for next year. Hopefully for his sake he performs a little better.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Finally, KERS is not even mandatory, it's going to have to provide a substantial boost in power to off-set the weight that comes with it.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this, who the hell knows...
This is a gray area. Don't all cars have to meet a minimum weight? I would think that regardless of KERS being equipped on the vehicle, all vehicles have to meet the minimum weight requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if they all weigh the same or similar(right at the minimum). Unless mechanical failure is an issue, I'm optimistic about the performance boosts from the KERS equipped cars.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

This is a gray area. Don't all cars have to meet a minimum weight? I would think that regardless of KERS being equipped on the vehicle, all vehicles have to meet the minimum weight requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if they all weigh the same or similar(right at the minimum). Unless mechanical failure is an issue, I'm optimistic about the performance boosts from the KERS equipped cars.
Yes all cars have a minimum weight to meet, I believe it's right around 1300lbs w/ the driver. The problem I think the teams are facing is they can't get the weight down to that with KERS on the car, or if they do they are not balasted the way they want causing ill handling characteristics.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yes all cars have a minimum weight to meet, I believe it's right around 1300lbs w/ the driver. The problem I think the teams are facing is they can't get the weight down to that with KERS on the car, or if they do they are not balasted the way they want causing ill handling characteristics.
^ Ahhh grillpt; This thread just wouldn't be the same with out you!
Old Feb 14, 2009 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Feb 14, 2009 | 07:28 PM

happy that sea-bass is back with STR. he deserve another shake at it.

and going to enjoy races at Spa and Monza while they are still scheduled. Bernie will for sure move grand prix from these "ancient" tracks first chance he get (magny cours anyone?)
Old Feb 16, 2009 | 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

wow, the cars look totally different this year. there's almost no aero compared to last years cars. can't wait for the season to start though. just sucks that there's no American Grand Prix this year....i was really looking forward to that =\

Quick Reply: 2009 Formula 1 Discussion