Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: 2009 Driver's Championship winner?
Lewis Hamilton
6.06%
Kimi Raikkonen
6.06%
Felipe Massa
10.61%
Jenson Button
57.58%
Rubens Barrichello
1.52%
Jarno Trulli
4.55%
Timo Glock
0%
Nick Heidfeld
0%
Robert Kubica
1.52%
Fernando Alonso
3.03%
Sebastien Vettel
7.58%
Someone else
1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Formula 1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009 | 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

F1 is the only series in the world thats rule book ends with the words "to be continued...'
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 11:05 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by inneedof
F1 is the only series in the world thats rule book ends with the words "to be continued...'
I don't know, NASCAR does a pretty good job of keeping its rule book "fluid".

I don't really like the wins thing. It completely changes the strategy, no longer rewarding consistent quality finishes. I would be OK with giving more points to winning (say, 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1).
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I don't know, NASCAR does a pretty good job of keeping its rule book "fluid".

I don't really like the wins thing. It completely changes the strategy, no longer rewarding consistent quality finishes. I would be OK with giving more points to winning (say, 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1).
I agree.
But Bernie and Max don't think so. These rules change everything. Drivers will take more risks. There will probably be more intentional and unintentional crashouts. Massa will end up spinning anyone in his way a few more times during the season. It's going to look like Nascar.

I know its not motorcycles, but in MotoGP and WSBK, you will see more safe faring to faring or wheel to wheel combat and aggressive passing than in any other sport. They still use the point system and they use it effectively.

Last edited by NoTec; Mar 18, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 05:45 AM
Former Sponsor

I think the wins thing will improve the quality of the races. Instead of all the cars coasting to the finish after their last pit, they will actually have motivation to try and chase a car down. Mid pack has always been pretty aggressive all the way to the line and the rules didn't really change for them.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

More on the Brawn GP rear diffuser saga.
It seams that Renault may have valid reason to be upset at the fact that Brawn GP, Williams , and Toyota have violated FIA diffuser guidelines. To add more confusion to the mix, their front wing is being scrutinized also. This is going to be a fun and hectic Australian GP!!!

Rear Diffuser rule:
(Amendment bolded)

3.12.7 No bodywork which is visible from beneath the car and which lies between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm rearward of it may be more than 175mm above the reference plane.
Any intersection of the surfaces in this area with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car.
A single break in the surface is permitted solely to allow the minimum required access for the device referred to in Article 5.15.
Additionally, any bodywork in this area must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances.

Seeing how the word "and" is used instead of "or" in the first amended area, one could wonder if that means the illegal part has to satisfy all of the criteria to be deemed illegal? Sneaky sneaky....

Last edited by NoTec; Mar 18, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 10:10 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by NoTec
I agree.
But Bernie and Max don't think so. These rules change everything. Drivers will take more risks. There will probably be more intentional and unintentional crashouts. Massa will end up spinning anyone in his way a few more times during the season. It's going to look like Nascar.

I know its not motorcycles, but in MotoGP and WSBK, you will see more safe faring to faring or wheel to wheel combat and aggressive passing than in any other sport. They still use the point system and they use it effectively.
Originally Posted by KevinD
I think the wins thing will improve the quality of the races. Instead of all the cars coasting to the finish after their last pit, they will actually have motivation to try and chase a car down. Mid pack has always been pretty aggressive all the way to the line and the rules didn't really change for them.
If anything, I think you'll see more reckless overtaking attempts which result in the top two cars getting DNFed, and the 3rd place car getting the win. Lap one, turn one will be even worse because guys will place such a high importance on getting P1 from the start...

In cases where P2 is 20 seconds behind P1, there's no gain in the extra reward for the win.

And yes, ~P5-P12 has always been more competitive because the cars/drivers are closer matched and there's more on the line.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, for the amount of money those drivers make, there should be more motivation for them to try their best to come 1st. Hopefully, it should make for more exciting races. For taking huge risks there should be huge rewards or losses.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

If anything, I think you'll see more reckless overtaking attempts which result in the top two cars getting DNFed, and the 3rd place car getting the win. Lap one, turn one will be even worse because guys will place such a high importance on getting P1 from the start...

name one pass by DC that wasn't reckless

and name one pass by the guy in second place all of last season (ok there were a few but not many)
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 03:08 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I agree, for the amount of money those drivers make, there should be more motivation for them to try their best to come 1st. Hopefully, it should make for more exciting races. For taking huge risks there should be huge rewards or losses.
What if you're in 1st place and the 2nd place guy wipes you out trying a pass he had no chance to make cleanly? With the point system, you take your 8 points and go on to the next race... with the win-or-go-home, if you're in 1st and not a mile away, you might as well just assume someone will take you out.

name one pass by DC that wasn't reckless

and name one pass by the guy in second place all of last season (ok there were a few but not many)
For good reason - it's rare when the winner isn't clearly the fastest car.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 03:21 PM
El Jefe

By the way, a good comparison might be the bud shootout in NASCAR... big money to the winner, but no points... almost always a lot of wrecks.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

What if you're in 1st place and the 2nd place guy wipes you out trying a pass he had no chance to make cleanly? With the point system, you take your 8 points and go on to the next race... with the win-or-go-home, if you're in 1st and not a mile away, you might as well just assume someone will take you out.

For good reason - it's rare when the winner isn't clearly the fastest car.
It's called risk and reward. $hit happens. Now we're just assuming that the drivers are going to start taking each other out. May be the drivers will take the approach to "live to fight another day and take what you can get this race" but do your best to get to 1st place. I doubt given the skill level of the drivers and the team responsibilities they carry, they'll just start taking each other out. Obviously the FIA stewards will be closely watching the race and there are going to be penalties for reckless driving.

Regardless, there is no right or wrong when it comes to this arguement. I just think it provides more motivation for drivers to come 1st and its more exciting for all the fans of the sport that sit at home and are glued to their TVs. I'm sorry but watching a race where people are just trying to hold their position and points doesn't make for an exciting race. How many times last season have we witnessed this?
Old Mar 19, 2009 | 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Jean Todt has left Ferrari.
Toro Rosso is catching lenses.

And there is only seven days left till WOT!
Old Mar 19, 2009 | 11:12 AM
El Jefe

Todt left?
Old Mar 19, 2009 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yes totally left.

Quick Reply: 2009 Formula 1 Discussion