Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

4G63 History in Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4G63 History in Motorsports

Because people need to know this.

1st time in professional competition was in rally. As far as I know the first published professional rally result for the 4g63 was in Rally NZ, 1988 in the Galant driven by Kenjiro Shinozuka. He retired due to gearbox failure. That was in July.

In October the team traveled to GB for the Lombard rally. There were actually four Galants entered. Ari Vatanen was driving one but he retired due to engine failure. Three others finished driven by Japanese works drivers. That was Nov 20. also the date that people cite as the first entry into motorsports for the engine. I think it was earlier at NZ.

Some other names people should know. Andrew Cowan, founded ACMS (Andrew Cowan Motorsports) in 1983 which later became Ralliart Europe and was the head of Mitsubishi's motorsport program before being bought by Mitsubishi, similar to Mercedes' AMG which started in the same way. Cowan's partner split and founded Mitsubishi Australia.

Another name- Derek Dauncey, WRC team manager as of 2001 for Mitsubishi with their first WRC entries piloted by two drivers, Francois Delacour and Alister McRae. Dauncey now works for Vt Sportscar running the Rally America Series with Travis and Ken.

Those are the most notable names and events for the motor and for the coming of the Evo that I can think of. I posted this information because I'm tired of reading about dyno charts and drag racing.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, alot of guys neglect to realize these are RALLY cars and were developed for RALLY RACING.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:37 PM
Account Disabled

No problem. It puts local accomplishments in perspective.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice information i do love reading about history...
anything more interesting to add?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still stock and ready to rock!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:38 AM
Account Disabled

Not much more to add about the motor but there's a lot more on rally history that we can talk about sometime. I don't want to digress and discuss other chassis and motors although maybe one word on the Starion.

A lot of people are going to say.. wait Bimmubishi, Mitsubishi used a 2 liter turbo in their 1986 Starion AWD entry two years before the Galant. Yes, they did. It was also a Sirius series motor however still not a 4g63. It had a 3 valve head and Bosch fuel injection. The drivetrain was not much like what we have now either, it used a front mounted transfer case from the Montero/Pajero much like the HKS Starion car of the same time. HKS took the world even closer to the 4g63 by mounting a custom HKS 16v head to the G54b block. The G54b is what the US starion and Raider/Montero came with. Not a 4g63 but probably close enough to call it a test mule.

The factory Starion also was run by Cowan and also at RAC for the first time, keeping the intro close to home.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

I'm reading from Brian Longs book on the Lancer. It states "Galant VR 4 . Making its debut on the American Olympus Rally( which started on 23 June 1988), the Group N machine showed great promise , and finished 10th overall. Kenjiro Shinozuka- ultimately the Asian Pacific Champion of 1988.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Any pics to go along with the cool stories? Specifically 3D engines?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:46 AM
Account Disabled

Michael Lieu of HK and Geoff Case in the group N car. Apex' you're right! It was a couple of weeks before Rally NZ. That sounds like a good book. I'm going to check it out.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

The book is Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, by Brian Long forward by Shuusuke Inagaki, Veloce Publishing. www.veloce.co.uk (published in 2002) up to the Evolution 7 shows all kinds of information
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread is older then dirt and never really took off but I'm reviving it anyway because the subject intrigues me and I would love to learn more about it. Does anyone else have any info to contribute? History of the engine, notable Rally Evos and their achievements, driver's, achievements, and of course pictures! Here's hoping this thread will take off 4 years later!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I found this awesome video covering the Evo's history in WRC from 1993-1996.

I also bought this book today off ebay, hopefully I will learn some more and be able to share and that will spark some interest and conversation on this topic.

Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ I've had that book for years. Its a good buy and really summarizes a lot about the Evo. Brought back a lot of memories too since I had been following the car from its announcements in 92 through the rally dominance in the mid-late 90s.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
^^ I've had that book for years. Its a good buy and really summarizes a lot about the Evo. Brought back a lot of memories too since I had been following the car from its announcements in 92 through the rally dominance in the mid-late 90s.
Awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I never followed it growing up. I got my first car, a 4G63 DSM, in 2003 which was right when the Evo was faded out and replaced by the WRC spec Lancers. However I am currently intrigued by this topic, I just can't get enough. Last night my wife and I ate dinner together on the couch while watching a 2 hour recap of the 1998 WRC season on youtube.

I can't wait for the book to come in. I read a chunk of it on goole books before they decided I had had enough of a preview.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC
I found this awesome video covering the Evo's history in WRC from 1993-1996.

http://youtu.be/nlthTl7QFZ4

I also bought this book today off ebay, hopefully I will learn some more and be able to share and that will spark some interest and conversation on this topic.

Do give a review and some snapshot from Brian Long book
Sounds like an awesome book for EVO enthusiast

Quick Reply: 4G63 History in Motorsports