Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

BSP - TRE Rear Diff Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes a big man to apologize.

Anyhow, in terms of product sales... what does TRE actually recommend? I'd bet he could make some interesting custom stuff for off road applications. I wonder what a diff best made for snow would behave like?

Back to your regular programming....
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
DaWorstPlaya,

I read back through this and I was def a bit out of line. My head was (apparently) firmly planted up my a$$ this afternoon. Nothing personal.

John
No worries man, everyone has bad days ... I'm not perfect either, if you do make it up to an event in Nebraska may be we can laugh about it over some

Anyways, back to the rear diff topic. You are completely correct in that 1.5 way is prefered for road racing application because it provides that extra bit of stability during braking (especially if you like to trail brake at higher speeds). Having the rear swing out on you @ high speeds is no laughing matter.

As you know, the 1 way diff acts as an open diff during decelaration (no power) allowing greater difference in wheel speeds which allows the rear to turn easier. Probably makes sense in low speed auto-x type of events, where you need the rear to swing out quicker. That is why when power doesn't overpower grip some drivers actually prefer open diffs. Hope that made sense ...

Regardless, I'm the type of guys that believes to really give an educated answer to the question there is no alternative to testing both diffs out on the same car with the same setup. I mean, looking at the math, with the % lock up characteristic during accel and decel are fine but until you put both on a car and test it, we're all just guessing. Which for most might not be financially possible.

In the OP's case, 1 way or 1.5 way may work best for him but it depends on a lot of factors, eg: driving style, suspension setup, power level, tires, speeds, etc ... which we know nothing about, so to try to give a very specific answer to general question kinda defeats the purpose. Regardless at least we can help him narrow it down to 1 or 1.5 way. Depending on how he drives and sets up his car a 1.5 way diff can work as the % locking characteristics of the diff can make a big difference .... as for which is faster we won't know until someone tests both and posts results ... Any volunteers?

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 23, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You could try the Gruppe-S ACD reprogram too. Just a thought.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
You could try the Gruppe-S ACD reprogram too. Just a thought.
Pretty sure it's not BSP legal.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spool_sample
Pretty sure it's not BSP legal.
perfectly legal, diff's are unrestricted in SP.

I would recommend the maxlock. This has given me a lot more flexibilty in my suspension and alignment as I have more oversteer than I have ever experienced in my EVO.

getting the suspension where I want has been a bit of a challenge on a "no-money" race budget, but the changes in handles were dramatic and well worth the cost of the TRE diff.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
perfectly legal, diff's are unrestricted in SP.

I would recommend the maxlock. This has given me a lot more flexibilty in my suspension and alignment as I have more oversteer than I have ever experienced in my EVO.

getting the suspension where I want has been a bit of a challenge on a "no-money" race budget, but the changes in handles were dramatic and well worth the cost of the TRE diff.
Diffs are pretty open in SP. It also looks like modifying the ACD is not legal. Jarrod quoted some rules here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6869751-post119.html

I also totally agree about the TRE diff. I love it.

Last edited by kekek; Apr 26, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Diffs are pretty open in SP. It also looks like modifying the ACD is not legal. Jarrod quoted some rules here:

I also totally agree about the TRE diff. I love it.
ah well... so much for rule changes... Irrelivant to me anyway since I am in SM already.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not really modifying the ACD, just the little box connected to it.