Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

BSP - TRE Rear Diff Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSP - TRE Rear Diff Question

Which should I get? Max lock, 1 way, 1.5 way or 2 way? I am going to be running most BSP legal mods for Solo/Prosolo Competition but it will also be my daily driver. Thanks for any input!

Also, I plan on running the OEM front/center diff's unless I am told that something else is better.

Last edited by IceHawk; Jan 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I run the 1 way. No effect on turn in or on-off throttle through slaloms. Quite happy with it actually.

I think the general consensus is 1way is tarmac/high grip and 2way is for dirt/gravel. Not really sure about the 1.5 way.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2 or 3 road/race guys I've talked to say Max-Lock.

But give Jon and call and explain to him how to use the car - he'll lead you the right direction from everything I've read.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

get the max-lock, I did and it was probably the single best mod I have done to the car for autoxing.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:21 PM

I just sent mine to him yesterday. I ended up messing my diff up at Mid-Ohio this past weekend. I am going with the max lock.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

i thought "max lock" had options with 1, 1.5, and 2 way
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cliff's notes:

1 - way means full lock only during throttle application. Best for street driving.

1.5 - way means full lock during throttle application and semi-lock during braking and free throttle. Supposedly best for road racing.

2 - way means full lock during throttle application and full lock during braking and free throttle. Supposedly best for drifting.

The lock is determined by the ramp angles of the splines on the clutch.

You're welcome ...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Cliff's notes:

1 - way means full lock only during throttle application. Best for street driving.

1.5 - way means full lock during throttle application and semi-lock during braking and free throttle. Supposedly best for road racing.

2 - way means full lock during throttle application and full lock during braking and free throttle. Supposedly best for drifting.

The lock is determined by the ramp angles of the splines on the clutch.

You're welcome ...
Ok that's pretty general knowledge...but what nobody ever answers is WHY is each one best for that particular application, from a dynamic standpoint of course.

Also the 2 Way ios considered best for rally (dirt & loose surfaces).
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Ok that's pretty general knowledge...but what nobody ever answers is WHY is each one best for that particular application, from a dynamic standpoint of course.

Also the 2 Way ios considered best for rally (dirt & loose surfaces).
General knowledge amongst whom? Are you saying everyone on this forum should automatically know this? I don't think it is common knowledge ... but maybe we just have different expectations of what people know I was trying to answer the OP question ...

And yes 2-way is also used in Rally/Dirt/low traction conditions. As to the WHY, using a bit of common sense one can deduce what would suit their needs best depending on their needs, driving habits, locking characteristics of the diff and how that affects stability and traction during the 3 stages of cornering ... I just didn't want to go into a high level of detail and write a long essay. I'm too lazy for that

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 23, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I think he meant general as in "not specific", not general as in "common". Hence the question of "why" each one works the way it does. Or maybe John's just an ***.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
General knowledge amongst whom? Are you saying everyone on this forum should automatically know this? I don't think it is common knowledge ... but maybe we just have different expectations of what people know I was trying to answer the OP question ...

And yes 2-way is also used in Rally/Dirt/low traction conditions. As to the WHY, using a bit of common sense one can deduce what would suit their needs best depending on their needs, driving habits, locking characteristics of the diff and how that affects stability and traction during the 3 stages of cornering ... I just didn't want to go into a high level of detail and write a long essay. I'm too lazy for that
Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I said general knowledge referencing when different diff's lock up (1 way = accel lock, open on decel, etc).

All you mention is that each is "supposedly" good for a particular application. you didn't provide any reason why.

Don't get cranky b/c you don't want to write something worth reading.

It's not a topic commonly found in any of the suspension books out there or chassis setup books, at least non of the 10 or so in my personal library. If you know a book title or internet link hook us up.

John
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I said general knowledge referencing when different diff's lock up (1 way = accel lock, open on decel, etc).

All you mention is that each is "supposedly" good for a particular application. you didn't provide any reason why.

Don't get cranky b/c you don't want to write something worth reading.

It's not a topic commonly found in any of the suspension books out there or chassis setup books, at least non of the 10 or so in my personal library. If you know a book title or internet link hook us up.

John
Haha ... I'm not cranky nor I have my panties in a bunch, but from your responses it seems you do ... (joke)

I didn't know I was supposed to write a paper on of each diff type to satisfy your curiosity. As I said, the OP posted a general question and got a general answer that hopefully helped him. Sorry if it doesn't meet your standards.

Because of all the umpteen suspension books you possess/read/know, you are the better suspension tuner and driver, happy? I'm not claiming to be any expert ... ... and I'm sure any of the books I've read you probably have in you personal library ...

PS: It's obvious I'm not the only one that thinks you are over reacting

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 23, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Time out.

The man's just looking for someone to explain in as few, more common, terms as possible why each one is best suited for the type of driving as delineated above. A list on this site for common consumption would seem like a good idea.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I don't claim to be an expert at anything. I read and try to get educated, but reading doesn't make anyone an expert. Like I said, diff tuning and effects don't seem to be a common subject, thats all.

I simply asked for you (or anyone else) to elaborate on what you said. You jumped all over it for some reason. I was just trying to turn this into a decent discussion.

It would be nice to see a chart that goes into what occurs with different diffs. As I understand it lockup on decel will make turn in slower/more difficult. Maybe thats why road racers like it since it settles the car. Personally I would have thought it makes the car looser. Common sense/intuition don't always explain things.

John
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

DaWorstPlaya,

I read back through this and I was def a bit out of line. My head was (apparently) firmly planted up my a$$ this afternoon. Nothing personal.

John

Quick Reply: BSP - TRE Rear Diff Question