Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto-X Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-X Questions

So basically I'm attending an Auto-X event coming up and I want to know what needs to be checked or replaced before I go. I have never been to an auto-x event and I'm a total newbie when it comes to knowing anything about it. I have 12k miles on the car, it is stock. Tires/Brakes/Clutch are all stock and never changed (of course oil was changed every ~4000 miles and I just changed it about 1000 miles ago). Do I need to do anything before the event to prepare?

This is just a one time thing and if I enjoy it I'll get into it so right now I don't plan on building my car to be a track car, so I'm not looking for suggestions like new coilovers, rims, sway bars, springs, etc. Just the basics I NEED before I drive it.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Devin!

Welcome to the world of autocross. You're in the exact spot that I was in last year at this time. Watch out it's addictive!

To be honest the car is probably perfect from the factory (especially for someone new at the sport). If you've only got 12k on the car, I imagine everything is in pretty good shape save for the tires. Better check the wear on them to see how much life you've got left.

Are you doing an autocross with SCCA in the Houston region? If so, I go every month and I'd love to meet up with you there. Getting everything prepped for your runs and knowing where to go and what to do can be pretty daunting at your first event. I'd be happy to walk you through it on your first time.

Just send me a PM or something.

Rob
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's my list of suggestions for you:

1. Get as much seat time with other drivers as you can. Ask them for rides, and ask them to ride with you.

2. Walk the course several times before you run.
3. Show up at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours before the morning meeting.
4. You will need a helmet.
5. Bring something to monitor your tire pressure, and if you have it, a tire pump. You can pick up an electric one that plugs into your lighter for $30. It's good to have anyway, and tire pressure is key to adapting your grip to the temperatures during race day.
6. Don't let your car sit cold before your first run.
7. You might want to tape up your lower bumper and valence on the X before you run. It's pretty succeptible to cone smear. You definitely want to tape your fog lights off. They're notorious for getting taken out by cones.
8. Empty your car off everything you can - including spare tire and jack.
9. Don't start the day with more than 1/2 a tank of gas. You can keep a can with you if you're a long ways from a station, but I usually run 1/4 tank most of the day. With the X, I have had to up that to just over 1/2 tank because it likes to cut out when below that mark. I doubt you'll be driving that hard your first time.
10. How did you get 12K on your stock advans? Mine are already about to go at 5.5K and they've only seen 1 autocross event. You must be nicer to yours!

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be back. It's like what I assume heroin users feel only 10 times as strong. Auto-x is the most fun you can have in your car with your clothes on.

I also encourage you to read the many many writeups in the Motorsports section regarding driving technique.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Remove any loose objects from the car, i.e. floor mats, radar detector, cd's, etc...

Make sure your battery and lug nuts are on tight.

Set the PSI in the tires to about 36-40 PSI, something that will not make your tires roll over while cornering, remember to check PSI with each run since the tires will heat up and the PSI goes up too much PSI = less grip, too little and you got handling issues.

Take plenty of rides, be on time. Know what class you are running.

Just have fun, don't expect any trophies if this is your first time.

Watch out for the Miata's... everyone hates them but the Miata owners.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going out for the first time in my GSR this weekend (done autox many times before). I'm wondering what to set the asc setting? Just press once? Or hold it down for 3 sec to turn everything off?

I suppose I can try both ways, but some insight would be great.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Originally Posted by RoBear
Hey Devin!

Welcome to the world of autocross. You're in the exact spot that I was in last year at this time. Watch out it's addictive!

To be honest the car is probably perfect from the factory (especially for someone new at the sport). If you've only got 12k on the car, I imagine everything is in pretty good shape save for the tires. Better check the wear on them to see how much life you've got left.

Are you doing an autocross with SCCA in the Houston region? If so, I go every month and I'd love to meet up with you there. Getting everything prepped for your runs and knowing where to go and what to do can be pretty daunting at your first event. I'd be happy to walk you through it on your first time.

Just send me a PM or something.

Rob
PMed

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
Here's my list of suggestions for you:

1. Get as much seat time with other drivers as you can. Ask them for rides, and ask them to ride with you.

2. Walk the course several times before you run.
3. Show up at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours before the morning meeting.
4. You will need a helmet.
5. Bring something to monitor your tire pressure, and if you have it, a tire pump. You can pick up an electric one that plugs into your lighter for $30. It's good to have anyway, and tire pressure is key to adapting your grip to the temperatures during race day.
6. Don't let your car sit cold before your first run.
7. You might want to tape up your lower bumper and valence on the X before you run. It's pretty succeptible to cone smear. You definitely want to tape your fog lights off. They're notorious for getting taken out by cones.
8. Empty your car off everything you can - including spare tire and jack.
9. Don't start the day with more than 1/2 a tank of gas. You can keep a can with you if you're a long ways from a station, but I usually run 1/4 tank most of the day. With the X, I have had to up that to just over 1/2 tank because it likes to cut out when below that mark. I doubt you'll be driving that hard your first time.
10. How did you get 12K on your stock advans? Mine are already about to go at 5.5K and they've only seen 1 autocross event. You must be nicer to yours!

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be back. It's like what I assume heroin users feel only 10 times as strong. Auto-x is the most fun you can have in your car with your clothes on.

I also encourage you to read the many many writeups in the Motorsports section regarding driving technique.
I don't drive hard at all I guess that's why they aren't dead. After this event they will be replaced.

Originally Posted by c_reber
I'm going out for the first time in my GSR this weekend (done autox many times before). I'm wondering what to set the asc setting? Just press once? Or hold it down for 3 sec to turn everything off?

+1.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Remove any loose objects from the car, i.e. floor mats, radar detector, cd's, etc...

Make sure your battery and lug nuts are on tight.

Set the PSI in the tires to about 36-40 PSI, something that will not make your tires roll over while cornering, remember to check PSI with each run since the tires will heat up and the PSI goes up too much PSI = less grip, too little and you got handling issues.

Take plenty of rides, be on time. Know what class you are running.

Just have fun, don't expect any trophies if this is your first time.

Watch out for the Miata's... everyone hates them but the Miata owners.
by the end of the day, you'll be referring to those miatas as "those effin midgets" with a hint of respect.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c_reber

From what I have heard, people are getting the best times with just pressing the button once. Not holding it for 3 seconds.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I prefer to press once. I haven't met too many people that are good enough drivers to not benefit from some rear braking stability control in the corners. You definitely want to hit it once though. It sucks when you forget and hit that first turn, bury the throttle, and watch your rpm's and spool die as the asc takes over.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I never even really thought to check tires because most companies had like 20k mile warranties on their factory tires. I'm leaving tonight and the tires don't look too bad but what do I know? Will I not pass the pre-race inspection if I don't get them replaced?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, the first autox. I just drove up, added air and drove the course (Pennington). You really don't have a lot to check on a stock car.

Your tires will pass inspection fine . If my "eaten to hell and back" D1's pass, you'll pass!

ASC: just press it once, holding it makes the car muy dificil to control.

Alighment: If you have time, try and get a new alignment today. Flip the top strut bolt in the front to get -2* camber. You want -1* to -1.5* in the rear. 0* toe all around. But don't do this if you don't want to (I didn't for my first couple events).

At Pennington, you're going to likely want 40# in the tires. There's a pay air pump down the street. I'm going to go buy an air can today since filling the r-comps takes forever on a little lighter pump.

Today, before you leave Houston, take everything out of the car that you don't want rattling around. Beer bottles, Monster cans, change in the ashtray, etc. When you get there, you'll want to take out your floormats, spare tire, jack, tire iron, lug key (that sounds terrible when going around corners and it's banging around the trunk!). Since it might be wet tomorrow, I recommend bringing a couple hefty sacks to store the stuff you don't want wet (like your floormats). Also take out the radar detectors, garage door openers, cd cases, etc.

Also, start getting used to a more "race" seat setup. You want to make sure that your shoulders are on the seat and you can drape your wrists over the top of the wheel. Most people drive too far away from the steering wheel and it doesn't give you the control you'll need when pulling 1+ g's around a corner. Make sure your butt is all the way back in the seat too.

You *might* think about bringing a small tool set, just in case. 10, 12, 14mm sockets, 10, 12, 14, 17mm wrenches, flat & phillips head screw drivers at the minimum. I have a bag that has tools and some spare parts that I bring with me, just in case.

Since there will be a bunch of us local guys there, we can provide this stuff for you, so don't worry too much . And like someone else said, get a ride with other people (you're free to ride with me all you can stand). Just remember it's quite a bit scarier in the passenger seat than in the driver's seat.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be leaving work soon and getting things together. I won't leave here until after traffic dies down (~7:00) so I won't be at the hotel until late tonight. I look forward to seeing you all in the morning though and I definitely want to ride with some of ya.

Adios!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
It's like what I assume heroin users feel only 10 times as strong. Auto-x is the most fun you can have in your car with your clothes on.
I second this. The very first time i did AX, i was hooked.

My last two seasons have been cut short by deployments (i'm military), but the best thing about learning how to drive is just talk to the other drivers or read about driving techniques on here or the SCCA boards. I'm still learning too, but i'm having a great time. Don't worry about winning, just concentrate on driving and following your lines. Good luck .
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:26 AM

Check any typical wear/tear items, IE brakes, tires, etc. Also make sure there's nothing really loose inside the car, that could fly around, and damage things or get in the way.

-Don
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Devin, where'd you go on Sunday?

Quick Reply: Auto-X Questions