Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Building an Evo IX for BSP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I wasn't knocking you John - I was very impressed by both your driving and the performance of your car. I know we'll be seeing you gunning for the top spot this year .

As a spectator to BSP do you know how intense it would be to see about 6 cars that realistically have a shot at winning Nats, all battling it out on the track! That would be epic!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Just looked over your list of goodies - NICE. Glad to see the PPI stuff on there. Wayne is a friend of mine and a local autocrosser. Once you get the car together - try driving it with the stock throttle body before you put the 65mm unit on there. I have never used the PPI 65mm TB, but I tried a competitiors unit and did not like the throttle modulation. I felt it was more difficult to dial in minute throttle changes in corners to adjust my line. It felt more like an ON/OFF switch rather than a rheostat. . . but of course it could just be my big dumb unsensitive feet!! You may love it. I know there's a ton of folks out there that have them.

p.s. - if I remember correctly the 65mm TB did seem to help the car spool up a bit faster though. . .

p.p.s. - maybe about 3-4 weeks out on the brakes. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Mar 22, 2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
BSP is growing!

Craig for those extended studs I wouldn't waste your time with anything but the ARP studs. Several of us have snapped the KYO-EI's that are also available. You can get them for a good price on Ebay of all places.
Excellent, as luck would have it those are the ones I went with.

Last edited by CraigWilcox; Mar 22, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Just looked over your list of goodies - NICE. Glad to see the PPI stuff on there. Wayne is a friend of mine and a local autocrosser. Once you get the car together - try driving it with the stock throttle body before you put the 65mm unit on there. I have never used the PPI 65mm TB, but I tried a competitiors unit and did not like the throttle modulation. I felt it was more difficult to dial in minute throttle changes in corners to adjust my line. It felt more like an ON/OFF switch rather than a rheostat. . . but of course it could just be my big dumb unsensitive feet!! You may love it. I know there's a ton of folks out there that have them.

p.s. - if I remember correctly the 65mm TB did seem to help the car spool up a bit faster though. . .

p.p.s. - maybe about 3-4 weeks out on the brakes. . .
Very cool, yeah, Wayne seems like a very nice guy, I'm happy to have his parts going into the Evo. On the TB, I appreciate the input, I will try both ways for sure. That makes sense not liking the feel of an on/off switch. When I was running the 07+ Mini, there was a sport button that made just a slight amount of throttle input as if it was full throttle input. I always ran with the sport button off so I could feed the throttle in myself.

Last edited by CraigWilcox; Mar 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigWilcox
Here is a quote from the rule book, I believe its a new rule for 2009 for SP class, I think they allowed this so that ST cars can also compete in SP with brake modifications......

D. Alternate brake rotors are permitted, subject to the following
restrictions:
1. Rotors must be ferrous metal except for standard parts. Aluminum
rotor hats are allowed.
Rotor dimensions (diameter
and thickness) must be equal to or greater than standard
parts. Cars originally equipped with solid (non-vented) rotors
may utilize vented rotors.
Good to know! I'll keep a tighter eye out for a set of X MR rotors
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't knocking you John - I was very impressed by both your driving and the performance of your car. I know we'll be seeing you gunning for the top spot this year .

As a spectator to BSP do you know how intense it would be to see about 6 cars that realistically have a shot at winning Nats, all battling it out on the track! That would be epic!
I know. John and Andy obviously did their homework and the new owners have continued to tweak and make the cars faster still. The only other person that has really built a fast evo and won a championship was Daddio. The remainder of solo championships are with Showcase or ex-Showcase cars.

Anyhow, the hunt continues!

Craig it looks like you are off to a good start and you're obviously talented driving wise. This is gonna be an awesome battle at Nationals if everyone makes it. FYI, there will be a fast Mazdaspeed Miata there too. The driver isn't big on the national scene but is talented and been around for awhile. We went back and forth separated by tenths yesterday. God this sport is fun with good competition.

John
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
. . . The only other person that has really built a fast evo and won a championship was Daddio. . . .
And I believe Mark worked early on with Andy and John to develop the Ohlins package . . . but by the time he won in 2007 I think he had made some significant SM-allowed changes. . .
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aww... man... now you guys are making want to hop in Fineberg's car for Nationals this year. Instead I have to deal with everyone in AS from last year, plus Chris Travis, Eric Kremelmeier, and Stuart Maxcy. Crap.

And were you talking about Don Slevin in the Mazdaspeed?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
And were you talking about Don Slevin in the Mazdaspeed?
Most certainly. Apparently he's also making 50+ more hp than at the Devens Tour last year when he won BSP.

Sorry Craig, it looks like your thread is turning into the 2009 BSP alternate thread.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

My guess is that 15mm spacers will work for you. I run the same spec RP03's with the 15mm Ichiba spacers and hubcentric rings.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stockEvoIX
My guess is that 15mm spacers will work for you. I run the same spec RP03's with the 15mm Ichiba spacers and hubcentric rings.
But do you also run the same AST dampers? Different dampers may require different spacers based on where the spring is and the geometry of the mounting at the hub.

Edit: With the V710 I could usually get away with 10-13mm. The hoosier being 1/4 taller and 3/8 wider requires more spacer. With the Ohlins Flag I am at 15mm and it's tight. I get a little rubbing on occasion with the spring. That's starting with a +35mm wheel. The +38 will be further inboard and the tire is the part that will make contact with the spring perch or spring, not the rim as the hoosier has a huge rim protector and sticks out a bit.

Last edited by kekek; Mar 24, 2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: More info.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:03 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see you on Evom Craig! Glad I have been able to help out with helping you make some HP and free up some weight!

Auto X starts pretty soon here in MI...its been a long winter.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will need at least a 18mm spacer in front to clear the calipers with the Enkei RP-F1s 9.5" 38mm offset, may need to check for the 18" wheel size.

For your street/rain tires, I would go with Dunlops over the Bridgestones. See tirerack's test between the top 4 street tires, the Star Specs were the best wet tire. All of STU ran them at the pouring rain Pro finale last year.

Rick
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

But did they compare the Star Spec vs. the Hoosier Radial Wet?? I think that technically you are supposed to run Hoosiers all days of the event to get contingency . . .
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

But did they compare the Star Spec vs. the Hoosier Radial Wet?? I think that technically you are supposed to run Hoosiers all days of the event to get contingency . . .
You are correct.

Quick Reply: Building an Evo IX for BSP!