Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Went to my first Auto-X event in my new X! Now I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Went to my first Auto-X event in my new X! Now I have some questions.

Wow, that was fun! I went to my first Auto-X in my X that has 800 miles on it. (actually first racing event ever in any car) It was at Englishtown Raceway in NJ done by the Northern New Jersey SCCA. They did a great job and everything ran smoothly and will be going again. There was like 120 cars there and we still got in like 7 runs each. I learned a TON about myself and my car and everyone was very nice and just wanted to help. My best time was 57 something and the best time of the day was 48 something. I went from 75 to that 57 so I definatly improved through the day. More importantly, I didn't hit any cones and had no dnf's which made me real happy. Anyway, on to the questions.

When I got there, they put me in STU(Novice) but said that I needed to change my accessport tune to stock to run in that class. The only mod I have so far is the accessport. So I flashed it back to stock. I did some reading when I got home and from what I read, the ecu can be tuned but you can't turn up the boost. I am kinda confused if the stock cobb stage 1 map ups the boost as I thought it was more about fixing the messed up factory tune. Does anyone know or even run the AP in STU class and if it is allowed?

I know at this point seat time is going to be the best thing for me in terms of another mod. I plan on going as much as possible since I can't think of a better a beter way spending $35. On top of that though, I really to want to get a TBE and was thinking about the Perrin one with the HFC. As far as I can tell this is ok for STU. Does anyone have this or any other suggestions on a TBE that will run well in STU?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a big STU thread. Jump in

The stage 1 map does up the boost. You'll need a custom tune or petition cobb to release an off the shelf STU legal map.

Here's the basic stuff you can do for STU. If it's not on the list you likely can't do it:
- 245 wide tires max
- any wheel
- brake pads/big brake kit
- sway bars (front/rear)
- coilovers or springs
- intake
- turbo back exhaust (including o2 housing and high flow cat, but NOT a test pipe)
- remapped ECU, but no boost modifications

Common stuff you can't do and be legal in STU:
- UICP
- LICP
- FMIC
- MBC/EBC
- different hood or other body panel
- stripped interior
- boost changes
- waste gate actuators
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to hear you had fun and you also have a good idea of how to improve (seat time, not tons of huge mods). STU is a great class for this as you can run a pretty fast car with decent mods and keep it street friendly. I'm not even running any aftermarket exhaust and do moderately well in my local events in my 2nd season.

Good basic STU overview, gg.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

If you're not hitting any cones and have no DNF's you're not trying hard enough. Unless you're a girl.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

hahahahaha
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Kinda agree, I think when you're pushing hard enough you'll reach the point when you start hitting cones.
I dunno if I'd be to worried about power mods, but I can definitely say to trust your car more - Those diffs on the X will really pull you through, almost as simple as turning the wheel and putting your foot down. X notwithstanding, most cars can be pushed way harder than a normal person would think.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:20 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. There is no doubt the biggest problem with the car is the driver I did hesitate a bunch as not knowing if the car could "really" take that turn without slowing down. I was braking too much when I shouldn't have, and going too fast when not taking the apex correctly and sliding out. I know for a fact that I wasn't pushing hard enough in the right places.

The only reason I even know any of this stuff is by doing a bunch of reading and playing video games, not real world experience except for last sat. It is crazy all I have been doing in my head is thinking about the track and how I should approach certain types of corners differently.

Is it a good or bad sign that I am dreaming about orange cones?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

What's up Ham? Wait till you see the new ride.

The whole thing with "auto cross" is to hang it out and just see how fast you can possibly go. When you're done you should smell brakes, clutch, gas and adrenaline but not necessarily in that order.

Cones never hurt anybody.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Apr 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM.