Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hitch receiver mounted wheel carrier?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Hitch receiver mounted wheel carrier?

Not sure this is exactly the right place to ask this, but does anyone know where I can get one of the wheel carriers that mounts to a tow hitch receiver? I saw one once at the track on a Miata, so that you can bring a set of track wheels/tires to the track without having to put them inside the car.

thanks
Old May 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how much weight those handle? Plus you'd have to install (ie drill) into the frame for the hitch mounting.

Tires fit really well and easily into the back seat. I used to fit 4 255's with zero rubbing on the doors or front seatbacks - I'm sure bigger would work too. Just through them on top of a blanket if you're worried. Or pull the lower tabs and take the rear seat out altogether so they sit lower!
Old May 17, 2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called a "Tire Tail". I don't even know if they're made new anymore. They might be.

Here's what they look like:
http://www.egansworld.com/oldsite/sti_tiretail.html

If carrying wheels/tires inside your car, I'd place each wheel/tire in a plastic garbage bag to keep your interior free of dirt and brake dust.