Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

No support from Mitubishi North America

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No support from Mitubishi North America

Why is there no support from Mitsubishi for motorsports here in America? I read how they sponsor television programs in Australia, racing series in Europe, promotional events all over Asia. But here in America with it's giant market for sales they take our money for their products and basically tell us "don't let the door hit you on the way out the office". Mitsubishi NA does not give a damm about us! They treat the Americans like a bunch of dumb kids from the slums! I'll enjoy racing my Evo 8 knowing I'm on my own, but it's sad that we support the company with enthusiasm and love of their sports cars and they don't even carry Ralliart parts for sale at the dealerships. I ran the BMW driving schools at Lime Rock Park for 6 years and BMW openly supported the national club and its events across the continent. Factory race cars with drivers at Octoberfest . Money for trophys and shirts, posters etc. It does not cost a fortune to say "we know your out there and what can we do to help the club?" The BMW club was the key reason why BMW brought the M3 to the USA. This web site links all of us. Who runs this web site and can't the power of this advertising venue convince Mitsubishi to do something?! Were are the Mitsubishi's drivers? No David Donahue, no Boris Said, no Bill Auberlen, no Tom Millner, no Derick Bell, ,no David Hobbs. Gee I wonder why nobody respects Mitsubishi in the USA. We have no Mitsubishi driver to cheer for! They don't even run a cheap rally car! I guess I will have to watch NASCAR instead......the economy is no excuse they didn't do anything here when corporations were living like royalty
Old May 19, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Please realize that MITSUBISHI is a small manufacturing company compared to BMW. MITSUBISHI just layed-off 120 people in their corporate office in CA. Their market share is smaller here than it is in Australia, etc., so they budget accordingly I guess. MITSUBISHI doesn't have the famous named race drivers as you mention above sadly, but I am sure you remember a TOMMI Makinen who set rally winning records!
Remember when the Evo VIII first hit the USA? I can't tell you how many times I saw those VIII's on sale on eBay as parts cars! It was sickening, a car with 3K miles on it, either rolled-over, or front-end damaged! It was sickening! People bought the car and treated it as a drag racer, winding the crap out of them, blowing the head and wondering "What the hell?" and try to get the 'thing warranteed by MITSUBISHI! That left a bad taste with MITSUBISHI and the owner of the poor, abused car! Many new owners were ill-prepared on what a Lancer Evolution was and it's history & function. Many people to this day, don't know what a RALLY is! NASCAR? Sure they do! Maybe that is the reason for lack of support in Motor Sports?

I was told, the reason the Evo was brought here, was to get people into the showrooms to buy something! In Japan, MITSUBISHI Bank is one of the financial giants! MITSUBISHI owns Nikon Cameras, Pentel pens & pencils and other name brands! Support 'em is all I can say...The MITSUBISHI - U.S. Market has to grow I feel before MITSUBISHI can invest major dollars in the US Market as far as advertising and sponsorship. It is frustrating for sure! I have been a fan/supporter/defender of MITSUBISHI since 1985, when I walked into a MITSUBISHI Dealership and bought a new 1986 MITSUBISHI Starion, later on a 1989 'Starion ESI-R which I still own, along with my (bought new) '06 Evo IX-MR. Hopefully, I'm NOT done yet! I have been written-up in a MITSUBISHI Dealership magazine for my enthusiasm and my collection of MITSUBISHI Memoribilia. I'm a fan, pure and simple! Nothing is going to take that away! I say, consider yourself as MITSUBISHI 'Advertising'! You are racing your Evo? That is great! Spread the word, one owner at a time! Don't give up! All I am allowed to say right now is, wait until the first and second weeks of July...

Last edited by NJ9MR; May 19, 2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

I just got off the phone with a old Mitsubishi fan who told me Mitsubishi use to support racing here in the 70's and early 80's. Through Chrysler corp. racers had complete access to all Mitsubishi race technical information and parts. That all changed when Mitsubishi came to the US after 1982. Mitsubishi and Chrysler continued to trade engineering and car platforms. The Evo 10 body is a Chrysler design. The Mitsubishi design dept. in California has been closed. Chrysler has been bought by Fiat. So were does that leave the USA Mitsubishi racing fans and competitors?
Old May 19, 2009, 06:06 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Please realize that MITSUBISHI is a small manufacturing company compared to BMW. MITSUBISHI just layed-off 120 people in their corporate office in CA. Their market share is smaller here than it is in Australia, etc., so they budget accordingly I guess. MITSUBISHI doesn't have the famous named race drivers as you mention above sadly, but I am sure you remember a TOMMI Makinen who set rally winning records!
Remember when the Evo VIII first hit the USA? I can't tell you how many times I saw those VIII's on sale on eBay as parts cars! It was sickening, a car with 3K miles on it, either rolled-over, or front-end damaged! It was sickening! People bought the car and treated it as a drag racer, winding the crap out of them, blowing the head and wondering "What the hell?" and try to get the 'thing warranteed by MITSUBISHI! That left a bad taste with MITSUBISHI and the owner of the poor, abused car! Many new owners were ill-prepared on what a Lancer Evolution was and it's history & function. Many people to this day, don't know what a RALLY is! NASCAR? Sure they do! Maybe that is the reason for lack of support in Motor Sports?

I was told, the reason the Evo was brought here, was to get people into the showrooms to buy something! In Japan, MITSUBISHI Bank is one of the financial giants! MITSUBISHI owns Nikon Cameras, Pentel pens & pencils and other name brands! Support 'em is all I can say...The MITSUBISHI - U.S. Market has to grow I feel before MITSUBISHI can invest major dollars in the US Market as far as advertising and sponsorship. It is frustrating for sure! I have been a fan/supporter/defender of MITSUBISHI since 1985, when I walked into a MITSUBISHI Dealership and bought a new 1986 MITSUBISHI Starion, later on a 1989 'Starion ESI-R which I still own, along with my (bought new) '06 Evo IX-MR. Hopefully, I'm NOT done yet! I have been written-up in a MITSUBISHI Dealership magazine for my enthusiasm and my collection of MITSUBISHI Memoribilia. I'm a fan, pure and simple! Nothing is going to take that away! I say, consider yourself as MITSUBISHI 'Advertising'! You are racing your Evo? That is great! Spread the word, one owner at a time! Don't give up! All I am allowed to say right now is, wait until the first and second weeks of July...
If it was you in their website newsletter, saw your pics! Congrats on being a mitsu fan as I am. Having owned the very first A076 Lancer that won the Southern Cross, Bandama, etc, rallies beating out the likes of Porsche and Audi with Andrew Cowan, Joginder Singh, etc. driving the Lancer A076.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...er_1600gsr.htm

Evom prides itself in making the signatures to petition the MMNA to bring the evolution model in the US in 2001. Too bad, the 2001 Evolution 6.5 TME did not make it since it was the year 2003 when it was finally released. As to the OP comments, Mitsubishi actually backed the first factory sponsored national rally that it overwhelmed the competition by winning it on its first try and year.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:16 AM

more!

http://web1.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/...rts/index.html
Old May 19, 2009, 06:26 AM

it started with their first win and eventual champion.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/m...s01/index.html
Old May 19, 2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by apex electric
Why is there no support from Mitsubishi for motorsports here in America? I read how they sponsor television programs in Australia, racing series in Europe, promotional events all over Asia. But here in America with it's giant market for sales they take our money for their products and basically tell us "don't let the door hit you on the way out the office". Mitsubishi NA does not give a damm about us! They treat the Americans like a bunch of dumb kids from the slums! I'll enjoy racing my Evo 8 knowing I'm on my own, but it's sad that we support the company with enthusiasm and love of their sports cars and they don't even carry Ralliart parts for sale at the dealerships. I ran the BMW driving schools at Lime Rock Park for 6 years and BMW openly supported the national club and its events across the continent. Factory race cars with drivers at Octoberfest . Money for trophys and shirts, posters etc. It does not cost a fortune to say "we know your out there and what can we do to help the club?" The BMW club was the key reason why BMW brought the M3 to the USA. This web site links all of us. Who runs this web site and can't the power of this advertising venue convince Mitsubishi to do something?! Were are the Mitsubishi's drivers? No David Donahue, no Boris Said, no Bill Auberlen, no Tom Millner, no Derick Bell, ,no David Hobbs. Gee I wonder why nobody respects Mitsubishi in the USA. We have no Mitsubishi driver to cheer for! They don't even run a cheap rally car! I guess I will have to watch NASCAR instead......the economy is no excuse they didn't do anything here when corporations were living like royalty
wake up!
Old May 19, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo 10 body is a Chrysler design.

But, but, but....it's so beautiful.....Chrysler designed the body?!?!

You're f'n with me!

Chrysler hasn't had a good unique body design since the PT Cruiser, and I can't remember what they might have had before then!
Old May 19, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey SBLVRO! Hi! Yes, that's me! There was also a 2-page magazine article too for the Dealerships! You have good eyes! Did you REALLY own that original Lancer race car? If so, do you still have it? This July, I will be doing something REAL BIG with MITSUBISHI...Nationally!
Old May 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sith_killer_99

But, but, but....it's so beautiful.....Chrysler designed the body?!?!
No they did not. Don't believe crap like that.

MMNA is broke and struggling to stay in business. The fact they still offer cars for sale is good enough for me. Plenty of manufacturers are pulling out of race series and laying people off. There's a global economic crisis going on.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
I was told, the reason the Evo was brought here, was to get people into the showrooms to buy something! In Japan, MITSUBISHI Bank is one of the financial giants! MITSUBISHI owns Nikon Cameras, Pentel pens & pencils and other name brands!
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I just have to clarify a few things. Although companies like Nikon, Asahi Glass, Mitsubishi Bank, Mitsubishi Corp, Mitsubishi Electric, etc are all fragments of a former umbrella or keiretsu, they are now seperate companies and run autonomously. So one piece could go down (or up) and not drag the others with it. They do regularly own stock in one another and do collaborate. However, Now that DCX is out of the picture, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is the main stockholder of Mitsubishi Motors Corp and is in direct control of it, so yeah their (MMC's) fortune totally depends on MHI.

And its not Pentel, its Uniball better known as Mitsubishi Pencil. But the crazy part is, even though they have the name and the symbol, they aren't related to the other Mitsubishi companies at all. I know. I don't get it either, but its true.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 19, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

If Rally gets bigger here in the US Mitsu might throw some backing there, they already have up'd their game in Canada for the CRS. You see more and more Mitsus on the podium in Rally America you might see some backing, but not in the smaller championships like USRC or Atlantic Cup, even though they already do very well there.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that if all of us that Rally Mitsus gets together and builds the hell out of MitsubishiRally.com, we couldn't HELP but get support from Mitsubishi.

We will have rebuilt the Mitsubishi Rally program through grass roots efforts and that's got real clout.

I've been waiting for the right time to bring the website and domain back... seems now is the time. Just look at Oregon Trail, Top 10 was dominated by Mitsubishi

Scott
Old May 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
My origin country is small, and run more Rally Mitsubishi cars each race, then the US rally's.
And no support there from Mitsubishi what so ever, as far as i know. Only individual dealers.
i know its small country but a small help would be nice there to . And if you look the precentige of the Mitsu participate there vs US its night and day.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Rally racing, IN GENERAL is just not a big deal here. Nor is sports car racing, which was the subject of another thread wondering why there was no support from Mitsu in that either.

In this country its NASCAR, and then everything else a distant second. I don't wish NASCAR to go away, but they are experiencing a big drop in their attendance so maybe it means America is ready for something new and different. But unless Mitsu puts about five good years in the black with lots of profits and returns to the WRC in force, they won't be sponsoring anything here. IIRC they were the title sponsor for the usa rally circuit or whatever its called in its inaugural year, then withdrew.

Quick Reply: No support from Mitubishi North America