Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gates311 / AMS Sponsored Evo X - Willow Springs Race Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gates311 / AMS Sponsored Evo X - Willow Springs Race Report

Event: Redline Time Attack! Willow Springs - May 30th-31st, 2009

A Tough Weekend

After weeks of preparation, I made the solo trek from the AMS Performance headquarters in West Chicago, IL to Willow Springs Intl. Raceway in Rosamond, CA for Round Two of the 2009 Redline Time Attack! Series.

Upon arriving to the track late Friday afternoon, I set out to run a few test laps with the new setup on the car, that included a prototype AMS Turbo kit, an AMS built rollbar, AMS Carbon headlights, a Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch and a new Voltex front lip. The car ran beautifully for a total of 3 laps, until the test day was shut down. Heading into the Saturday practice day with Redline, things were looking positive.

Saturday morning arrived, and the track was green at 9:00 a.m. for the first practice session of the day. I was one of the first on track, but after two short laps the car’s ABS system and S-AWC system randomly failed. Entering Turn 3, unaware of the issue, I was hard on the brakes and spun the car while locking up the brakes. No damage occurred, but I immediately headed into the pits to check the issue.

After looking over the car, no solution was found, but the check ABS/S-AWC lights were gone. I headed out for the 2nd practice session with a positive attitude. Unfortunately, the car still wasn’t running correctly. After completing a warm up lap, I resumed full speed. That same lap, while running hard thru Turn 9 the car lost all power causing the steering to lock up along with the engine shutting off. Luckily, I was pointed straight and was able to coast off track.

After being towed into the pits, I searched for the cause of the problem. Over the next 7 hours, I tried everything possible to get the car to start to no avail. With the track was closing, I headed back to the hotel confused and hoping for a solution before the Time Attack sessions on Sunday morning.

Back at the track early Sunday morning, I was on the phone with AMS President, Martin Musial, desperately trying to figure out the problem. Unfortunately, the cause of the problem (electrical?) couldn’t be found in time to compete in Sunday’s Time Attack sessions. Trying to salvage something out of the weekend, I was able to get the car moved into the front of the spectator area so the car was still in front of the public eye all day.

So after a 30 hour drive, I was only able to complete a total of 5.8 laps on track, none of which counted for any points in the Time Attack. Looking forward, the main focus is to get the car back up and running before the next Redline Time Attack! at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL on June 20th-21st, 2009. We’re confident the car will be back to 100% and will be in even better condition than ever before the Autobahn event. Look for plenty of very strong finishes in the near future.

I would like to thank the following sponsors for their incredible support in 2009:
  • AMS Performance
  • Nitto Tires
  • K&N Engineering
  • JRZ Suspension
  • etnies
  • Carbonetic
  • Girodisc
  • Seibon Carbon
  • Forced Performance
  • Double Down Motorsports
  • Evasive Motorsports
  • Voltex

Ryan

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lame. Hope you find the issue.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Lame. Hope you find the issue.
Haha ya, it sucked.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

You'll be back better than ever next time Ryan.

Car is looking great.

- Bryan
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
Account Disabled

ryan,

sucks you had to drive such a long way to have issues like that, better luck next time!

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
You'll be back better than ever next time Ryan.

Car is looking great.

- Bryan
Thanks dude.
Originally Posted by Evasive EVO
ryan,

sucks you had to drive such a long way to have issues like that, better luck next time!

Mike
Ya it was a pretty bum few days, but things will be much better from now on. See ya out there soon!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's pretty crazy that the car totally died on you - no power etc. Luckily you had run off. I was hoping that I wouldn't find, "my car got wrecked" somewhere in the story as I was reading.

With electrical gremlins like that you may have a VW emblem in there somewhere
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
That's pretty crazy that the car totally died on you - no power etc. Luckily you had run off. I was hoping that I wouldn't find, "my car got wrecked" somewhere in the story as I was reading.

With electrical gremlins like that you may have a VW emblem in there somewhere
Hahaha don't curse me with that VW talk...

It was odd though...definitely what I wanted to happen!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Doh, that's why i didn't see your car on the track on Sunday...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sad to hear it, but at least you have a good spirit
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

You're a pioneer in time trialing the EVO X and unfortunately the first to find out and sort through the gremlins that come with pushing an ultra high performance X to its limits.

Nice cover story on your EVO X in the latest issue of Modified Magazine!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was wondering where you were in the standings, let us know what it turns out to be as you haven't had the best luck with limp modes and electrical issues! Maybe the car is fighting back from being forced into all it's weight loss.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Bummer! Electrical problems are the worst and quite often the hardest to replicate. I hope you get it figured out.

Dave
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by triguy
You're a pioneer in time trialing the EVO X and unfortunately the first to find out and sort through the gremlins that come with pushing an ultra high performance X to its limits.

Nice cover story on your EVO X in the latest issue of Modified Magazine!
+1 on that!

And thanks for posting up even if it's wasn't great news.

And for people like me a bit lower 'in the game', it's nice to know we're not the only ones fighting through problems from time to time!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:51 PM

Yea man thats a crappy way to go out. Did you guy figure it out yet. I hope to see you on the 21 at the autobahn whipping every body ***.

Quick Reply: Gates311 / AMS Sponsored Evo X - Willow Springs Race Report