Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Let's see YOUR track Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012 | 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

The driver had a fractured rib, vertebrae, and a partially collapsed lung.

First the front of his car hit the tires and pretty much exploded all the plastic parts of the front then it continued on into the concrete barriers moving them a good distance in the process. It was a very hard impact.

I was working near that corner and he went by me and into the grass at nearly 100mph. There was 4 feet air time from the spot he left the pavement to the area where he touched the grass.

It looked as if he stayed on the brakes the entire time but I don't know if it was soft pedal or hard. The response time of track safety was incredibly fast! I was very impressed!

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012 | 11:15 AM
chu
Evolved Member

^That's terrible. I hope the recovery is going well for him!
Old Jun 25, 2012 | 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the video of the crash....

Old Jun 25, 2012 | 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you watch when he goes off into the grass it looks like he is accellerating. You can see the front tires spraying dirt. Perhaps trying to get the car to rotate to not hit head on? Looks like the tires only lock up right before he hits the water hazard.

Crazy wreck. Sorry to see this kind of thing happen to anyone. For a minute I thought it was going to be the Mustang that got the vengance of the track.
Old Jun 25, 2012 | 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

WOW, Some questionable stuff in that video. I"m glad they are okay. (somewhat).

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jun 25, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012 | 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hope he heals to 100%. In mostly stock evo's you will get rock pedal if you don't let vac build from a long straight of boost.
Old Jun 25, 2012 | 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
WOW, Some questionable stuff in that video. I"m glad they are okay. (somewhat).
totally agree. shouldn't have gotten out the car.
hopes he recover fully.
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
totally agree. shouldn't have gotten out the car.
hopes he recover fully.
The passenger also looks like he puts his hand out of the window to hold onto the roof. He "might" have grabbed for the chicken handle but it looks like it's out of the window.

Rewatching again, the passenger does use his hand to hold the roof. dumb.
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Very lucky he didn't roll over.....
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 06:56 AM

Wow that vid is crazy hope all is well with the driver...
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo was far from stock, he had something like 470hp 490tq. I had talked to him just the night before on the autox course. He has owned the evo for a month or so but it had been in the shop the entire time. had literally only a few days behind the wheel. But these brothers are not new the road racing and autox scene. Sean (the passenger) is highly respected for his autox domination and his lightning fast road course times for the car that he has. Something failed mechanically.
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NODAKevo
The Evo was far from stock, he had something like 470hp 490tq. I had talked to him just the night before on the autox course. He has owned the evo for a month or so but it had been in the shop the entire time. had literally only a few days behind the wheel. But these brothers are not new the road racing and autox scene. Sean (the passenger) is highly respected for his autox domination and his lightning fast road course times for the car that he has. Something failed mechanically.
after watching the vid a few times, i agree. he was on the brakes the whole time the camera was on him and the car just was not slowing down. the vette hit the brakes later and stopped just fine.
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I never questioned what caused the accident myself. It really didn't matter! The problem I saw was with how bad that mustang driver was and the fact that if you are an experienced track driver you should kno not to get out of your car until told to do so. I have been a chief stewards and safety steward for a few years and that passenger would have gotten an ear full for jumping out of the car like that. It was no big deal in this instance but it's something that must be followed for safety.

That comment is for everyone and it's a good video of what not to do in an accident. Let the safety crews do their job and unless your in immediate danger stay in your car on a hot track!
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I never questioned what caused the accident myself. It really didn't matter! The problem I saw was with how bad that mustang driver was and the fact that if you are an experienced track driver you should kno not to get out of your car until told to do so. I have been a chief stewards and safety steward for a few years and that passenger would have gotten an ear full for jumping out of the car like that. It was no big deal in this instance but it's something that must be followed for safety.

That comment is for everyone and it's a good video of what not to do in an accident. Let the safety crews do their job and unless your in immediate danger stay in your car on a hot track!
Yes Sir, Id say you are 100% correct however given the circumstances I can imagine the passenger knew he was fine and was more concerned that making sure his brother was over anything else..
Old Jun 26, 2012 | 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, I can understand that and like I said it didn't become a big deal. It's just good practice to always follow the rules of track driving. Heck I blew a motor and was sitting stranding for a few minutes wanting to take me helmet off. I didn't and waited for the crew to arrive and then asked if I could remove my helmet. They politely said "No" just wait till we're off track. Oh well I tried! Lol

Quick Reply: Let's see YOUR track Evo