Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Let's see YOUR track Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014 | 09:00 PM
Evolved Member
FCOTM Winner

They work.

^ Yes they do. They allow the interior to breathe, especially in heat...Most of them are removable too when you park the car, etc. you can take them out by lowering the windows, and slide them out for security. They also work pretty well with your front windows down as it creates a 'flow', cool air in and hot air out...

Last edited by NJ9MR; Apr 3, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

When I autocross I just crack the rear windows , has the same effect. I agree though, having them open helps with airflow, otherwise the back of your car acts like a parachute.
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by nollij
Are those holes in the rear windows for ventilation or what? I keep seeing them on time attack cars but I haven't figured out what they do.
Without the accompanying roof vent or facsimile, they do nothing. They look cool though.
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 10:21 AM

I wondered about those. We have to have our front windows down (removed) so I thought about adding the holes in my rears to help air flow out. But I'm not really sure if it does create a parachute or if the cabin sort of pressurizes and then not so much air comes in any more? I saw on NEMO they cut out a big hole in the rear windshield, wondering if that was for the same reason.
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 10:32 AM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by oceanreef
i just found out LOL
Clean-up on aisle three!

I'll take care of it.
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by PCSkiBum_21
I wondered about those. We have to have our front windows down (removed) so I thought about adding the holes in my rears to help air flow out. But I'm not really sure if it does create a parachute or if the cabin sort of pressurizes and then not so much air comes in any more? I saw on NEMO they cut out a big hole in the rear windshield, wondering if that was for the same reason.
Yes if you crack the front windows open a little and use them it will be fine. Another way is a vent from the inner front wheel area or under the front of the car into the cabin via a large hose.

Just look at the Rally cars which is where this came from, they use the roof vent combined with these vents for the rear windows. Opening or closing the roof vent adjusts air flow and aids in cooling the interior, but mainly on gravel Rallies to stop as much dust and crap coming into the cabin as possible.

Last edited by Mr Ralliart; Apr 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2014 | 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

started rainy, got pretty out

Let's see YOUR track Evo-cw4jvnml.jpg

Last edited by nollij; Apr 5, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2014 | 07:24 PM

its for air flow when allowed to run windows up and specially here in florida when raining so the front windshield doesn't get foggy. Plus u don't wanna run all four windows down (it really messes up the balance of your car, specially on windy days)
Old Apr 5, 2014 | 08:20 PM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

Can you pick them up for cheap?

No, I don't feel like making them.
Old Apr 6, 2014 | 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oceanreef
Plus u don't wanna run all four windows down (it really messes up the balance of your car, specially on windy days)
Is there proof of that? I have always run at the track with all my windows down. I figured it probably creates more drag on the straights but nothing else. If all 4 down is bad is there a better combo to keep cool and keep aero efficiency...fronts down rears up, rears down fronts up, ect.?
Old Apr 7, 2014 | 09:45 AM

Right, we have to run front windows down. Is there an aero/drag benefit (disregard cooling) to venting the rear side windows or rear windshield?
Old Apr 7, 2014 | 12:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by PCSkiBum_21
We have to have our front windows down (removed) so I thought about adding the holes in my rears to help air flow out. But I'm not really sure if it does create a parachute or if the cabin sort of pressurizes and then not so much air comes in any more? I saw on NEMO they cut out a big hole in the rear windshield, wondering if that was for the same reason.
Was wondering about your note here on the pressurized cabin. Im just a HDPE guy but we have to run w/fronts down as well

Almost like the guys running their pickup trucks w/the tail gate down not realizing they have lost that air bubble in the bed & have lost the aero benefit

We need answers Whose working on this
Old Apr 7, 2014 | 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Well My front windows come out for the events, I have them only for the drive to the track.

Some pics fro a recent track day at Inde Motorsports ranch in Wilcox AZ...

Old Apr 7, 2014 | 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Nasa started disallowing the rear vents/holes after Taz or T something got caught on fire in the Az region because the backpressure actually drew the fire into the cabin because it'll always "go with the flow." Very hard video to watch.
Old Apr 7, 2014 | 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Nasa started disallowing the rear vents/holes after Taz or T something got caught on fire in the Az region because the backpressure actually drew the fire into the cabin because it'll always "go with the flow." Very hard video to watch.
That whole deal was very odd to me. Eveyone knows the draw back in to a car when there is no rear window. And of couse the leader of NASAAZ has no rear window on his hatch back. He was luck he made it out of the car but his set up caused most the issue.

Quick Reply: Let's see YOUR track Evo