Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

X Games Rally Roster Announced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 06:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Games 2010 entry...

"full WRC spec"

I'm thinking that this should be suitable for the big jump, shark pit and figure 8 of doom. "Patrols jump well" mainly due to the longitudinal engine layout, similar to the Subaru. Wheel speed readings won't be an issue. We will hit the jump at 250mph indicated which no one will be able to decipher.

Last edited by e39a300; Aug 4, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Good GOD would I love to drive that thing!!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fatbastard
the fiestas are not "full wrc spec"... they are actually a good bit less complex, not as well thought out (budget difference) and have 1/3 of the electronics... they are however top spec rallycross cars that were purpose built for that task... just so happens that x-games "rally" is really an overdone rallycross course with a bigger jump... so, they are the team that was smart enough to bring the right car for the job.

as far as not giving any privateers a chance.... when did privateers have a chance? it has been vermont, syms and "race and rally"... and i don't think any of those teams are privateers... or they don't have the privateer budget that the privateers that i know have.... and in my mind that makes them teams with the largest budgets...

and lastly, ever consider that "the unmentionable subi" might have miscalibrated data on an ecu that has less than ideal logging capabilities for motorsport? probably not... you were too busy upset that your friends didn't make it to the end... well, it was less than spectacular for a lot of us... but for more of us, this year had the same results as the others... so i see no difference, too fast or too slow over the jump didn't give the results, the competition did...

so now i will hold out the mic and drop it...
Wow why would I be upset? As far as priveteers having a chance I said basically there was no chance and that is just racing as it comes down to the cubic dollar and nothing else.

As far as the Subi having miscalibrated data, I suppose it is a possibility but his story changed 3 times in less than 20 min sooooo......... wtf?
You tell me then since you are such an expert, I am just going off 2nd hand info from a brief conversation with a crew chief so I do not have all the facts I am just stating for conversation only and I am not at the least bit up set by the results as I was actually rooting for Kenny since he is a very good driver with tons of experience in many forms of motorsports, I knew the evos did not really stand a chance against the big name teams with unlimited budgets but in the back of my mind I was hoping one of them would have won by default They work very hard to keep those evos up and going and I have a great deal of respect for the whole team.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there.....it was AMAZING!
WEEHE!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:40 AM

Franz,
Thanks for the great photos and information.

I agree, what Block did was reckless. Was there a similar reaction when Deagan (I think it was Deagan or Mirra) when he drove around the the jump? This was when his "turbo pipe" was dis-lodged from a prior race transitioning the car from the upramp exiting the arena on to the tarmac.

Actually, do you know why his pit crew could not re-attach his intercooler piping during the down time? Seems like they had ample time to do so.

Again, thanks for the inside info. I watched the event on tv... While I'm not a huge rally fan, I did enjoy this event. I realize that this even is no where near actual rally driving; its entertaining.

Originally Posted by fatbastard

on another note, ken block did such a charming display of not being 100% in touch with the situation when he decided that he couldn't make the jump, but that it was ok to accelerate around it... he barely miss two camera men (who had to sit down for 10+ minutes to get over the shock of what had just happened) and then drive in front of deegan (which, could have been absolutely catastophic if deegan was further ahead than he was) and over the scales, through the pit area and then back onto the course... several lives were potentially put in danger by ken's poor choice (jen horsey, two camera men, several crew teams who would have been caught out by the wreckage).... i'm glad to say that he pulled it off and nobody was hurt, but his competition license should be suspended...

it doesn't look that scary in the video footage, but having a car cut around course and in front of another cars path and though/over everything else at 45+mph is enough to scare me... especially that we were 15' away from this... just stupid.

-franz
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:22 PM

great event! wish they have also more european drivers in the race!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

I really hope next year they can build something that does not have such a big tarmac section
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by gte824j
Franz,
Thanks for the great photos and information.

I agree, what Block did was reckless. Was there a similar reaction when Deagan (I think it was Deagan or Mirra) when he drove around the the jump? This was when his "turbo pipe" was dis-lodged from a prior race transitioning the car from the upramp exiting the arena on to the tarmac.

Actually, do you know why his pit crew could not re-attach his intercooler piping during the down time? Seems like they had ample time to do so.

Again, thanks for the inside info. I watched the event on tv... While I'm not a huge rally fan, I did enjoy this event. I realize that this even is no where near actual rally driving; its entertaining.
The 08 car Deegan was driving used a different sized IC hose to the 09 cars. We didn't have a spare, plus the bottom of the car was so bent there was no way of physically mating the two. You can only load so many spares, between 8 guys...

Start line; Deegan "Ready to hit the jump with no turbo?"
Beavis "Ummmmm" - Gets out.

As for 'Big budget' Teams.... I bet you thought the Rockstar team looked like they had big bucks in 08 right? Yeah, thought so.