Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Losing my virginity (HPDE virginity that is!)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I'm going to bring a set of Hoosiers next time instead of my frozen A048's. That should be good for a couple seconds too. . .

EVOlutionary
Jarrod, that would be the worst thing to do. If youre planning on running Hoosiers in HPDE 2, youre going about this the wrong way. Because if driving faster and dropping your times due to better tires is your objective, than youre missing the most important factors.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with Bueller. Honestly, I would try to run on some pretty good street tires like Z1, AD07, RE01R, RE-11....something like that. Run them until it becomes unusable (4-5 events). After that, move up to R-comps. Trust me, you learn alot more on street tires than on r comps or even slicks. Be smooth in your steering, braking, and gas. Slowly build confidence in using full width of track. This will reap 5x the rewards once you switch from street to r comps. Until you can not go any faster no matter how much you try, then it is time to upgrade your tires or power or suspension, etc.

Here is a quick story. I ran Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA 9 times already. The first 3 times i was on stock suspension, tires, pads. Laps times went from 2:32---2:24---2:16. All this was on the same power from my first track day to my recent track day suspension, r comps, race pads, same power(2:09-2:10). Upgrading the driver by going to more events without throwing more and more parts on car with race slicks is the way to go. I am no way a fast driver, but i can definitely see the improvement by going slow.

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; Jul 13, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
I agree with Bueller. Honestly, I would try to run on some pretty good street tires like Z1, AD07, RE01R, RE-11....something like that. Run them until it becomes unusable (4-5 events). After that, move up to R-comps. Trust me, you learn alot more on street tires than on r comps or even slicks. Be smooth in your steering, braking, and gas. Slowly build confidence in using full width of track. This will reap 5x the rewards once you switch from street to r comps. Until, you can not go any faster no matter how much you try, is the time to upgrade tires or power or suspension, etc.
+1. It's amazing how good some of the street tires are now. I ran full tread Z1's in Redline Street division and was really amazed how they performed throughout a 20min session.

U can't beat the audible feedback you get from a street tire for learning.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
I agree with Bueller. Honestly, I would try to run on some pretty good street tires like Z1, AD07, RE01R, RE-11....something like that. Run them until it becomes unusable (4-5 events). After that, move up to R-comps. Trust me, you learn alot more on street tires than on r comps or even slicks. Be smooth in your steering, braking, and gas. Slowly build confidence in using full width of track. This will reap 5x the rewards once you switch from street to r comps. Until you can not go any faster no matter how much you try, then it is time to upgrade your tires or power or suspension, etc.

Here is a quick story. I ran Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA 9 times already. The first 3 times i was on stock suspension, tires, pads. Laps times went from 2:32---2:24---2:16. All this was on the same power from my first track day to my recent track day suspension, r comps, race pads, same power(2:09-2:10). Upgrading the driver by going to more events without throwing more and more parts on car with race slicks is the way to go. I am no way a fast driver, but i can definitely see the improvement by going slow.
That is a great approach. A good example of how to approach this. The speed will come. If you allow it to come naturally it will be significantly more rewarding in the long run.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Street tires are the way to learn, just as in auto-x.

Also, im suprised you do the hand shuffle while atuo-xing. I make it a point to never move my hands while auto-xing. The steering rack is easily fast enough to get away with it, and doing the shuffle really blows my concentration (same thing on track). Allot of evolution instructors will yell at you if you do the shuffle, haha
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
It definitely is not worth burning up Hoosiers for an HPDE. Some people have nice street tires and don't want to wreck them on the track, so they get long lasting dedicated track tires like Toyos. But, that's a bit different than using a soft, fast-wearing R compound.

I've given up R compounds on my Evo for track days. Just not worth it. And I've found that the tire doesn't make that huge of a difference anyway compared to set-up on the car and driving.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Jarrod, that would be the worst thing to do. If youre planning on running Hoosiers in HPDE 2, youre going about this the wrong way. Because if driving faster and dropping your times due to better tires is your objective, than youre missing the most important factors.
Trust me, I know I AM out there to learn and to become a better track driver. I just want to run the stickies one session just to see the difference.

Most likely what I'll be doing for next time is running street tires (rather than the A048's) and turning the power down. This will allow me to focus on driver improvement rather than just not destroying my car and killing myself. Once I have the skill to take the car to 100% on low power and street tires, then I'll start increasing grip and power . . .

This stuff is so fun! I get a little worked up about wanting to go faster. But I DO understand that I am out there to learn. Track records will have to wait!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Broke X 5. My car is eating money on things that it shouldn't. Like turbos.
lol true. Progression with this car is not only a function of skill but also of money. It is very easy to reach the level where money is spent faster than time.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Trust me, I know I AM out there to learn and to become a better track driver. I just want to run the stickies one session just to see the difference.

Most likely what I'll be doing for next time is running street tires (rather than the A048's) and turning the power down. This will allow me to focus on driver improvement rather than just not destroying my car and killing myself. Once I have the skill to take the car to 100% on low power and street tires, then I'll start increasing grip and power . . .

This stuff is so fun! I get a little worked up about wanting to go faster. But I DO understand that I am out there to learn. Track records will have to wait!
I know you know. Just giving you some feedback. Besides, im a racer, im at the top of the pyramid! So i know everything. As for the Hoosiers, unless youre driving at or around full speed, youre not going to get anything out of them to see the actual difference. Beyond that youre just going to waste them. If theyre scrubs that you just want to waste that is a different story. Either way, at this juncture youre not going to see the actual difference with the Hoosiers. I know you understand that. Im letting you know like i would to any other HPDE driver.

Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good recap of the weekend. I totally understand the speed vs. seat time vs. parts situation. Part of it is just the way we are. A lot of us enjoy tinkering on the car when we should probably just focus on driving, you have to learn the balance between it all.

EVO's are nasty fast on the road course. I can understand not giving the straights full power, as these cars have a lot of speed available.

I've found that the right instructor will make all the difference. If you get an instructor who is nervous about the speed of your car they will not help you safely get up to pace. They can show you the line, and help you be smooth - which is very important. But they won't help you get everything out of your car and make you comfortable doing it. You need an aggressive instructor who will show you how to bring in the speed correctly. I finally found a guy like that locally and it made for a really fun day at the track! That said it takes a few times out to know the track and get the line dialed in smooth, but once you are comfortable with how the track flows it really helps to have someone who's really good at "bringing the speed", and not every instructor is.

Raybestos ST43's for the WIN! They shut it down with powa.

Last edited by jid2; Jul 14, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I think you should flip that upside down and show how much spare money each has
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
. . . As for the Hoosiers, unless youre driving at or around full speed, youre not going to get anything out of them to see the actual difference. . . .
By the last 2 sessions of the 2nd day I was driving at full speed everywhere except the last 1/4 of the front straight and the last 1/2 of the back straight.

FWIW - I watched side-by-side my video vs. a video of Jon K. in the AMS TA-1 at MidOhio in 2006. They were running in TTU and had the car dialed down to about 490whp. From the entrance to Madness, turn 7 - to the end crossing the finish line I was only about 1/2 second off his run. . .
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Watch Blacktracks footage from Mid-Ohio, he was faster than the old AMS car...
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I will do that - thanks! Is that the blue EVO X?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Watch Blacktracks footage from Mid-Ohio, he was faster than the old AMS car...
If youre comparing their footage, you cant actually compare their times because it was on a different configuration. When we ran Nationals last year we ran the Pro course. When that AMS car ran (i think it was 06 Nationals) they ran the sports car course.

Quick Reply: Losing my virginity (HPDE virginity that is!)