Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Losing my virginity (HPDE virginity that is!)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
By the last 2 sessions of the 2nd day I was driving at full speed everywhere except the last 1/4 of the front straight and the last 1/2 of the back straight.

FWIW - I watched side-by-side my video vs. a video of Jon K. in the AMS TA-1 at MidOhio in 2006. They were running in TTU and had the car dialed down to about 490whp. From the entrance to Madness, turn 7 - to the end crossing the finish line I was only about 1/2 second off his run. . .
Im sure youre doing well. But i also know that you have enough experience in autox to know that it takes time to get up to speed. So you should understand that what you consider to be full speed now and what you will consider to be full speed in 2 years are not the same. Rather loosely speaking, its going to take some time before you can see an actual difference with Hoosiers. I know you understand all this, but im telling you either way as i would tell anyone else.

I think you said you have some in-car? Why dont you post that up so that we can help out more. In-car footage that illustrates your hands is best. If its at an angle so that we can see your legs/feet also, that would be even better. I say that because a lot of times people post in-car footage but all you see is the windshield. Their in-car may appear cool in certain ways, but they may be struggling with steering and brake/throttle input. And since their in-car just shows the windshield the viewer doesnt really know what mistakes the driver is making. Therefore, nothing is learned. If you want to help yourself, make sure you have in-car that illustrates the above. Otherwise its useless footage.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The AMS vid I saw had the chicanes in the front straight. I was just comparing from turn 7 (Madness) through the finish line on the Pit Straight. . . .

I know it's like comparing dyno graphs and pretty pointless, but I found it interesting nonetheless. . .

(p.s. working on the vids now. . )

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Jul 14, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Cool man, hows the DHP gear work on the road course?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I matched a starting point, and put them side-by-side. Ryans EVO X carries more speed everywhere. That's what is interesting - not the lap times themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFgnS...e=channel_page
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

To go faster you have to learn how to drive smooth. To dive smooth, you have to relax while driving. If you’re not relaxed you can’t drive smooth. If you’re steering with shoulders instead of your arms, you’re not relaxed or smooth.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Woot! Glad you had a good time!

Agree with 18bora here too, I am much much more relaxed on a track day over a AX. AX, as you know, you are right at or over the limit. Inverse to the track. Smooth is fast. I enjoy tracking more personally. I can get in and get comfortable and just go.

This was going to be my first season on r-comps, after 3 on street tires. Never got to track on the r-comps though, this summer is abnormal in many ways. Anyway...back to the thread...so hooked on tracking now?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
OK, here is one video. This is looking out the front window. I have one from the roll bar looking forward where you can see my hands coming soon - maybe tomorrow. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3WUQuOIw4

(give it a few minutes for youtube to load/verify it)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
I know you know. Just giving you some feedback. Besides, im a racer, im at the top of the pyramid! So i know everything. As for the Hoosiers, unless youre driving at or around full speed, youre not going to get anything out of them to see the actual difference. Beyond that youre just going to waste them. If theyre scrubs that you just want to waste that is a different story. Either way, at this juncture youre not going to see the actual difference with the Hoosiers. I know you understand that. Im letting you know like i would to any other HPDE driver.

where the rally drivers fit?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
OK, here is one video. This is looking out the front window. I have one from the roll bar looking forward where you can see my hands coming soon - maybe tomorrow. . .

cool
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Great to hear that you had a blast. Mid-Ohio is my favorite track. It's not that easy to be in low 1:30s though
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Jarrod, youre in HPDE 1. In that group youre basically just learning the line and the safety issues. I know you said you know all this, but im saying these things as i would to any other HPDE student. As for your in-car, all i can see is your windshield, which does nothing for you as a driver. I know you said you have better footage, either way im letting you know again. The best way i can actually help you would be to sit with you. I obviously cant do that unless you run a Socal event. So if you want to help yourself with in-car footage, like i said earlier, position your camera in a fashion so you can see what youre actually doing, ie your hands, and legs/feet. As you progress you will have vital data that you can retrace. And in about 1-2 years you can look back and actually see how you have progressed. As a beginner you are going to be bombarded with a ton of info. If you allow the speed to come naturally, it will reward you significantly more in the long run. Thats about it for now.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jid2

I've found that the right instructor will make all the difference. If you get an instructor who is nervous about the speed of your car they will not help you safely get up to pace. They can show you the line, and help you be smooth - which is very important. But they won't help you get everything out of your car and make you comfortable doing it. You need an aggressive instructor who will show you how to bring in the speed correctly. I finally found a guy like that locally and it made for a really fun day at the track! That said it takes a few times out to know the track and get the line dialed in smooth, but once you are comfortable with how the track flows it really helps to have someone who's really good at "bringing the speed", and not every instructor is.

Raybestos ST43's for the WIN! They shut it down with powa.
THIS IS A GREAT POINT!!!!! and one that is rarely touched on. Unfortunately there are a lot of instructors that have been scared by street racers that do one track day and behave like cowboys. I had many many instructors comment after a session that I was "the first Evo that didn't scare them", or "how smooth I was for an evo".
Finally I had an instructor that really pushed my limits and encouraged me to go as fast as possible, by giving pointed and technically sound advice, and not being afraid to find the limits together. I guess you have to have a comfort level with each other. I don't know, but I learned more in the two days I was with him then all of the rest of my sessions to date combined.