Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Summit Point Track Event

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit Point Track Event

Well guys,
I took the EVO to CBRD this week and had Chad Block tune it for me. It did not have any leaks when being dyno tuned. Chad was able to increase an average of 25 hp and 25 tq across the power band. He also lengthened the power band by getting full boost and full torque about 800 rpms earlier and maintaining the extra power about 1000 rpms longer before tapering off to prevent any damage. The re-tune was a noticeable difference when driving.
Thanks to Chad for the tune!

I took the car to Summit Point with the PCA this weekend. It performed excellent in the 80 degree weather that we had. I was impressed how the car continued to pull all the way to my shift points.

I had previously ran a 1:23 on the main track in my 996 GT3. I am happy to say that I ran a 1:22 this weekend in the EVO, this track is short and only really has 1 straight where the GT3 is faster. There is more time their but still learning the subtleties of the EVO. I am really looking forward to VIR in November where I can use all of the new-found power. Plus VIR has some nice sweepers which will allow me to put the power down better than the GT3, (Motons).

Summit Point was just re-paved this week and we were the second club to drive on it. It was better in some of the places and the same in others.

Had a great time at the track and really enjoyed the car.

Videos coming soon!!!

Adam

Last edited by TrackEvo; Jul 12, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Sounds like you are no noobie to the track. What's done to the car?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds great Adam! I'm glad you are taking care of her.

_____
Jason
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you had a good time with the retune...

we are trying to rent the track here shortly to run the TA car.

my quickest around summit is a 1.11.80 in a formula mazda... only 185hp and 133mph down the front, but it was quick through the corners!

cb
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:24 AM

quote=EVO8LTW;7273603]Sounds like you are no noobie to the track. What's done to the car?[/quote]

I have the list of mods at the house and have not put them in my signature yet, but I am working on it.
POWER-Buschur Full Race Exhuast, Cam Gears, K&N drop in Filter, HKS 280 Cam (exhaust only) and ECU Tune.
SUSPENSION- Moton Club Sports, Progressive 25mm Rear Sway Bar, Stop Big Brake Kit, 355mm front w/st-40 calipers and 328 rear w/ st-22 calipers.

This is a classic example of how a properly set up car can be very competative on the track without alot of HP. After Chad tuned the car it put down 294 hp at the wheels. WOW, most of you guys thought it would be around 330 hp. FOOLED YOU!!!

I have the philosophy that if you have the car set up right, hp is not the most important thing!

LOOK ABOVE AT CHAD'S POST ( 11 seconds faster with 100hp LESS)

Originally Posted by Barfly30

Jason
Thanks Jason, you did a fantastic job building the car and I hope to someday drive it to your level.

Adam
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Who did your alignment and coilover setup?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrackEvo

I have the list of mods at the house and have not put them in my signature yet, but I am working on it.
POWER-Buschur Full Race Exhuast, Cam Gears, K&N drop in Filter, HKS 280 Cam (exhaust only) and ECU Tune.
SUSPENSION- Moton Club Sports, Progressive 25mm Rear Sway Bar, Stop Big Brake Kit, 355mm front w/st-40 calipers and 328 rear w/ st-22 calipers.

This is a classic example of how a properly set up car can be very competative on the track without alot of HP. After Chad tuned the car it put down 294 hp at the wheels. WOW, most of you guys thought it would be around 330 hp. FOOLED YOU!!!

I have the philosophy that if you have the car set up right, hp is not the most important thing!

LOOK ABOVE AT CHAD'S POST ( 11 seconds faster with 100hp LESS)

Thanks Jason, you did a fantastic job building the car and I hope to someday drive it to your level.

Adam
I heartily agree. I tried to follow the same mantra in setting up my car. I've dove very well and surprised a lot of people at summit point. Not that the Evo can be considered low HP though
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

The car is running on Moton clubsports....

knowing what the motons are capable of, its no surprise how quick adam is

cb
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Who did your alignment and coilover setup?
The coilover setup was initially done by John Mueller.

_____
Jason
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:24 PM

The coilover setup was initially done by John Mueller.

_____
Jason
Just so everyone is on the same page!!!

I initially saw the car (EVO IX MR) at Mid Ohio this year with the PCA. I was driving a 2005 Carrera S with the VF Engineering S/C Kit on it, H&R springs and sway bars, and Toyo R888. The Carrera S put down 450 Hp at the wheels and was very quick at the track. I was doing a session in Black Run Group (2nd fastest group, Red is #1) and I saw an EVO coming up behind me in the keyhole, I gave him the pass and "did not lift off the throttle".

DISCLAIMER: When you give someone the pass at a Drivers education Event you should lift off the throttle to allow them to pass and then get back on the throttle and continue driving at your own pace and do not push the person you just let pass. If they were able to catch you in the corners, they were able to do so for a reason. Driving on a track is not going slow through the turns and then dragging down the straights. If you have earned the right to be in the Black/Red run group then you have learned that a good precentage of drivers are either NASA/PCA Club/SCCA racers and getting some seat time to stay fresh. The others may have aspirations of being one of the former. If Jason would not been able to pass me then I would have lifted in enough time for him to get back online and in proper position to enter turn 7.

The EVO, (Jason/ Barfly30) moved over to the right and passed me. I followed him into turn 7 and then he began to pull away from me and by the time I got to "thunder alley" he was gone. I found him and we talked about the car for awhile, he mentioned it was for sale and the rest is history.

Basically, I bought the car already set-up from Jason/Barfly30. Any posts he makes in reference to the cars handling and the set-up are coming from the person who did the research and the work. I can easily recite what he told me but, I do not want people to think that I am some wizard who has special ability to prepare an EVO.

Don't worry Jason, I will do you proud when at an event. The car is already a topic of discussion in my Region of the PCA.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
The car is running on Moton clubsports....

knowing what the motons are capable of, its no surprise how quick adam is

cb
The Motons are great and the Stoptechs are awesome, but I think 9 years of High Performance Driving and Instructing might have a little bit to do with it.

Tough Crowd

Chad, Do you have a date that you are renting the track at Summit Point? I would appreciate if you would consider me as a customer to invite to for the day of driving, instruction and fun!

Also, I felt bad that George did not have his car so I took him out for 3 sessions with me. Of course, now he wants Motons!

Adam
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TrackEvo
The Motons are great and the Stoptechs are awesome, but I think 9 years of High Performance Driving and Instructing might have a little bit to do with it.

Tough Crowd

Chad, Do you have a date that you are renting the track at Summit Point? I would appreciate if you would consider me as a customer to invite to for the day of driving, instruction and fun!

Also, I felt bad that George did not have his car so I took him out for 3 sessions with me. Of course, now he wants Motons!

Adam
yeah motons are nice, or JRZ...

ill let u know on the track date.

cb
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
yeah motons are nice, or JRZ...

ill let u know on the track date.

cb
Thanks, I look forward to running with other EVO's with different mods.

Adam
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:25 PM

Video # 1 is up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PIOp9kXkSs
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

_____
Jason
So you sold your car? Congrats. When did this happen?

Quick Reply: Summit Point Track Event