Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Buschur road racing with NASA, review.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009 | 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
What was the event called at Mid-Ohio? Are they having any more of these coming up? I'd like to see some Evos run in a road race.
He ran with NASA. Look at your region's NASA schedule on their website and see when they're coming to Mid-O.
This is probably the region he ran with. Looks like they go back in August: http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/season...p?eventid=9774

Last edited by honki24; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009 | 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by honki24
Where have you been for the past few months in my life! This is exactly where I am. I think I'm pressurizing the coolant system on long pulls at 23psi which is blowing out coolant which is causing more heat load. I've upgraded the cooling system to no avail. lol my last ditch effort was to fix exhaust leaks hoping that was heating up the rad on long pulls. If that didn't do it I'm headed down the road of getting a new gasket. I've had ARP studs from day 1. Who knows.. maybe I messed something up on the 1X1 method.

edit: btw, just to share best practices: Someone suggested to me to run the overflow hose (a lengthended one) up to the windshield to see when it is overflowing. I did that and wow, it opened my eyes. After it blasts out a couple of times I take a cool down lap and pull off to pre-empt the inevitable overheating.
That's a pretty good trick for the overflow bottle! Yeah I didn't want to make it sound like all Evo's are overheating and pressurizing their cooling systems out on the track, but my experience has been that it can happen to just about any car when being pushed hard so being prepared is never bad thing. If you need a new head gasket then worst case you can get some headwork done and make more power.

That cracked rotor is scary looking too!
Old Jul 17, 2009 | 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honki24
He ran with NASA. Look at your region's NASA schedule on their website and see when they're coming to Mid-O.
This is probably the region he ran with. Looks like they go back in August: http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/season...p?eventid=9774
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 17, 2009 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Good seeing you too Greg! Sorry I wasn't around longer. It was a rough weekend for my cars.

Unfortunately, right now it would appear something is wrong with the EVOX. I drove it and ended up with it not starting. We put a set of new plugs in it as they were very fouled when we pulled them. Tonight I drove it home, got a CEL in it and it has little to no power. I don't have my scanner, so I'll see what's wrong tomorrow. Hell, it ran great but seems to be having some troubles. It may just need to come apart and checked out. I'll keep this updated.
Old Jul 18, 2009 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Alright, cancel the last post.

Got up this morning, car fired up instantly. Drove to the shop, grabbed the scanner, found it had two CEL's for the TPS, I haven't had that since the car has been tuned properly. I re-set the CEL's and the car runs/starts/drives 100% perfectly. Who the hell knows what happened there.

I'm going to drive it for the next few days and stay close to home, make sure things seem to stay fine.
Old Jul 18, 2009 | 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Sounds like a limp mode of some sort when you drove it and had little to no power. One of the many failure modes won't let you build any boost and the car will feel like a total dog. I triggered that one once when I went WOT at low RPM and one of my "Limits" tables was actually too high at 2000-2500 rpm range for the larger turbo where it was expecting a higher target airflow for the Throttle you were using. What was strange is that I use an MBC so it really cuts down timing and/or limits throttle to prevent you from building any boost. It's somewhat odd that it wouldn't let the car start but you may have tried to give it throttle and it flooded the engine with fuel and fouled the plugs, hard to say.

If you have the specific codes or how you were driving when it entered the limp mode that might help explain what part of the limits tables you may need to adjust.

Check out this thread for more details:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-x-mr.html
Old Jul 18, 2009 | 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Chris, it's for sure not the torque limiters. I'm not sure what set it off but the car has worked perfectly for about 8 months so any type of limp mode caused by the torque limiters aren't it. It actually ran fine on the way to shop this morning, power wasn't cut to nothing like the typical limp mode. Seems fine now.