Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hot Brakes - Undertray the cause?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyooch
bump - any resolutions? I decided to go with the stock undertray once again instead..
Not really. It still puzzles me actually as I know a lot of people track with this thing! I've got the tray sitting in my garage still.

And since I never figured out a real reason for the overheated brake fluid - for peace of mind - I've yet to re-install it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I personally won't run without one anymore, it makes that much of a differance after driving with stock, none, beatrush, and now a modified APR.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I personally won't run without one anymore, it makes that much of a differance after driving with stock, none, beatrush, and now a modified APR.
Could you go further on this? (making difference part)
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well there's obvious ones, like downforce, engine protection, etc. For me I noticed it especially on Homestead which is a zig zag track with a lot of high speed straights. Without the tray, I would notice the nose of the car start to lift as I got half way through 3rd gear, and then jump back on it's front wheels when I started to brake, then level off again. With the tray, she stayed planted all the way down, and when I got on the brakes the nose didn't dive as much as the suspension was already loaded which made things overall MUCH smoother and more controlable. When I was at barber I think the same year a few months before, I set my ST43 pads on fire, WITHOUT a tray, so it really didn't aid "cooling" in any way for me to not have one. The Beatrush tray was great, however I goofed on the way to Roebling once, and didn't notice it was hanging ever so slightly down, and when I got fast enough the wind caught it and folded it causing me to loose a couple sessions. The other thing to note is that a tray, a stiff one, stiffens up the whole front and brings it all together, so if you bang something it'll help reflefect the damage that would have been caused to your ACD, or oil cooler. Now I run the APR tray with some of my own modifications, and added ducting to the rear of the tray with short paths to the hubs.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

well now this makes me want one again lol.. i cancelled my order for the stock since with all the parts it was about 240 anyway.

What vendor are you guys buying this from? tempted...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

My friends at Kamispeed had both the beatrush and the APR. If it's a street car i'd recomm the Beatrush.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's go back a page or 2 and talk about who has what tubing size please. AMS 3" I think not. I'd love to see back to back testing done on the various makers kits installed and actual rotor temps.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I've got AMS's, its deff not 3", it's 2. Any of the kits currently available are going to "flow" the same because the inlet diameter at the hub is exactly the same. The key is the rest of the plumbing going up to that point. Which has already been overkilled by other threads. The lessons learned say that if your going to use bumper inlet your going to need 3" or bigger, if your naca ducting next to the wheel, 2" will suffice. OF course going bigger can always be better, but remember there is such a thing as overcooling.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

old thread i know - but im considering picking one up -

do you think the brakes would still have overheated with the amsoil dot fluid you're running now? i couldn't find any other documentation of people running into this problem, though im sure most run something else or dont drive the car as hard..

i also recall reading it also doesnt have the duct for transmission fluid cooling that the stock part does? i didnt think that would matter but if it did for the brakes maybe it will for the trans too?

and how were motor oil changes with it?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

I too have problems with overheating the brakes and what I've noticed is that I need to flush the whole system more frequently. I've been doing it every year for a couple years and the Motul 660 that I've been using doesn't quite last 12 months for me. I track my car about 7-8 days every year, but that is increasing, so I am going to a six month interval. I too have ducts, and DTC70s, but no undertray.. I've been running on r-comps, but am going to start running hoosiers at the next event.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
I too have problems with overheating the brakes and what I've noticed is that I need to flush the whole system more frequently. I've been doing it every year for a couple years and the Motul 660 that I've been using doesn't quite last 12 months for me. I track my car about 7-8 days every year, but that is increasing, so I am going to a six month interval. I too have ducts, and DTC70s, but no undertray.. I've been running on r-comps, but am going to start running hoosiers at the next event.
could be related to something else - this thread is more about the beatrush undertray causing the brakes to overheat
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had hot brakes running r-comps, you're going to be in worst condition with Hoosiers. They generate more heat and can take more braking power; thus generating even more heat.

When I ran Motul, I had to bleed nearly every weekend.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
could be related to something else - this thread is more about the beatrush undertray causing the brakes to overheat
Actually this thread is all about whether the undertay is causing the brakes to overheat, the OP is not sure if the undertray is the cause. Therefore I was giving my experience on why my brakes overheat, and I am not running the undertray. I think that is relevant to the conversation.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
If you had hot brakes running r-comps, you're going to be in worst condition with Hoosiers. They generate more heat and can take more braking power; thus generating even more heat.

When I ran Motul, I had to bleed nearly every weekend.
I would also bleed every weekend, but my problem was not doing a complete flush often enough. Knowing that, and knowing that the Hoosiers will generate even more heat, I plan to flush the system more frequently. I figured that this might be helpful information; before you rule out the undertray, you might want to try doing a complete flush more frequently.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Actually this thread is all about whether the undertay is causing the brakes to overheat, the OP is not sure if the undertray is the cause. Therefore I was giving my experience on why my brakes overheat, and I am not running the undertray. I think that is relevant to the conversation.
pretty much what i meant for the first part -

second part of 'does undertray cause overheating brakes?' is different from your case - running without any undertray is just the normal brakes heating up unless you're talking about some factor of cooling that the undertray provides, which is the opposite of what i was asking about.. if you put on an undertray and started overheating brakes even MORE, or got better brake cooling, then we'd have more applicable data. undertray in this case is the initial condition, not brake overheating

also OP ran without undertray and didn't get brake overheating.

sorry, didn't mean to be rude or anything before, just saying for this particular case, not that im OP, but just that i was really curious if the undertray does cause overheating of brakes since i'm interested in picking one up.

Quick Reply: Hot Brakes - Undertray the cause?