Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Nationals LRP, AMS sponsored Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, great vid. Good to hear that everyone is ok.

l8r)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great Job Marty! That was some intense racing. Considering the tire stipulations 2nd place was DAMN good! Great job

Eric
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Marty - according to the posted results, they have you 3rd behind the Lotus that spun. That seems odd, but then I thought I read somewhere they were setting the results based on the previous lap before the red flag condition. Great job either way.

http://www.mohud-scca.org/Race/2009/...0Races.xls.pdf
Old Aug 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice recovery at :41 and 1:55!

Tell me this - to help me learn - what exactly did you do with the throttle/brake at 1:55 to get the car squirrely??
Old Aug 5, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Nice recovery at :41 and 1:55!

Tell me this - to help me learn - what exactly did you do with the throttle/brake at 1:55 to get the car squirrely??
Good question! and in case you have more ill explain a couple things from the vid since I always do a post race critique of myself anyway.

The opening lap to the video was my first dry lap at LRP since 2006 so I was kinda relearning it as I went. Normally we have a practice day prior to a race but Lime Rock has the practice day on Tuesdays and I just couldnt get up there 5 days out from the race....sooooo I figured id use the first qual to get the track down and the second qual to get a decent qual time. Welll...It ended up raining for both quals! The good news is I was on pole the bad news is I didnt have my turn in or braking points down for a dry track for the first few laps. You also may notice my left leg pumping the brake pedal up several times prior to some of the brake zones-this was caused by a poor job of flushing the brake flluid out of the system and it left some air hidden in the lines. OK so to answer your question, T4 has a nice little negative camber groove really close to the curbing and I lifted on turn in to try to get the car to rotate enough to take advangage of it. My mistake was I didnt get back on the gas soon enough and the car over rotated. Where that turn is tricky is if you get on the gas too much and miss the apex, it will push you off to the left where the track falls away from you. In and awd, when things get squirrely, 90% of the time the correct answer to get you out of it is MORE GAS!

Also, at around the 2:16 mark, I did something Ive never done is a race -I let a car in my own class pass me. The reason for this was, I was too busy fighting off the Lotus while the 350Z was getting away from me. I knew the Lotus could catch the Z and get into a nice battle with him while I chased them. They were on As and I was on Rs (and I getting faster nearly every lap) so I knew id have more at the end of the race. As it turned out, we started hitting the lap traffic which slowed the Lotus enough where he couldnt catch the Z, at that point I was up to speed enough to have a nice battle myself.

Marty
Old Aug 5, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Thanks! I was on 245 R Hoosiers, left front was scrubbed the other 3 were stickers. The Z was on 285 Hoosier A's, the Lotus S is so light it runs A's as well.
Didn't SCCA bump the T2 Evos up to 275 on 17x9 and higher spring rates?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redvolution
Didn't SCCA bump the T2 Evos up to 275 on 17x9 and higher spring rates?
Yes they did but a few weeks ago they decided that they gave us too much and took the tires away, course they didnt take the restrictor away. I really havent had a chance to retune the suspension since I put the 245s back, I should be able to get the front to bite more and the rear loosened back up. Bryan (JRZ) I will be giving you a call this week!

Marty
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Yes they did but a few weeks ago they decided that they gave us too much and took the tires away, course they didnt take the restrictor away. I really havent had a chance to retune the suspension since I put the 245s back, I should be able to get the front to bite more and the rear loosened back up. Bryan (JRZ) I will be giving you a call this week!

Marty
I'm curious .... just how much of an improvement were the 275s compared to 245s?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude, that was a very nasty crash....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHfGGgTVsc

watch with care^^^^the dude is ok now; broke his c2 vertebra(but prayers still go out to his recovery) Edit: that's a very relative ok, I broke my back in a reck about 8 years ago, I wasn't driving but riding shotgun(this is just a daily driving accident) and my back is STill ***t up

wow racing is sooo dangerous
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'm curious .... just how much of an improvement were the 275s compared to 245s?

The 245s have noticeably quicker response and the 275s have noticeably better overall grip and handle heat/wear better over the course of the race.

Marty
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Marty, you are one HELL of a Driver! Thanks for the video and for making us Evo driver's REAL PROUD! Stay safe! Much success to you! Prayers out to the two guys in that accident!